Getting USB drive to appear on network via HDR2000T

ScottB

Hi,
I am wondering if it is possible to make my USB drive (that is connected to the HDR2000T) appear on the home network?

I have enabled "Content Share" and "FTP server" so I can see the HDR2000T on my iPad when using the Player Extreme app - it appears a UPNP drive. But I am only getting to see what is directly on the HDR...I am unable to see the USB drive that is connected. Is there any way of accessing the USB drive over the network? Does it make a difference that the DVR is connected by Ethernet cable to the router, or is it better to connect via WiFi?

This would allow me to leave the USB drive connected to the HDR for copying recorded content onto the USB drive, but then access this deencrypted content on my iPad or other devices.

Or is there another work around?

Thanks.

The short answer is "no".

We can do this kind of thing using custom firmware on the HDR-FOX, but there is no such option with the 2000T. However, even with the standard HDR-FOX the USB drives are accessible by FTP - you said you have enabled FTP on your 2000T, have you looked using an FTP client? You may find there is a media player able to use FTP as an access mechanism (but check the drive is exposed using a file manager first).

I have downloaded an FTP client but cannot figure out how to find the HDR or USB drive. Any advice? I can see the HDR within Windows Explorer under "Network/Media Devices" locations. Maybe I need to HDR to be connected via WiFi? Or do I need to look somewhere specific within the FTP client? I am only seeing local disks physically built into my laptop.

(In preparation before your last post)

An FTP client is any software able to use File Transfer Protocol to access remote resources over some kind of communications channel. FTP is as old as computers (nearly), and one if the original ways to move data around. Naturally, an FTP client connects to an FTP server, so that begs the question why you enabled the server if you didn't know what it's for.

On a PC, Windows Explorer has FTP capability. If you type ftp://<ip_address> into the folder path box (where <ip_address> is the network address for your 2000T, something like "192.168.1.100"), you should see your files (you might need to enter a username and password, try "humaxftp" and "0000"). Note that recordings on the main drive are encrypted and useless by FTP. Rather than rely on Windows Explorer, you might find FileZilla easier -see http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/easy-ftp-setup.397/#post-4770 (unfortunately the illustrations have vanished in the forum upgrade, or they have been deleted from their storage location, eg Photobox). Google for FileZilla instructions if you need them, there's plenty of help out there instead of me spending my time typing.

On an iPad, I recommend FileExplorer / FileExplorerPro. In the left hand pane click the "+" to add a new connection, then set up an FTP link (scroll down the connection options and click "FTP"):

Display Name = whatever you like, eg "2000T", to identify the remote unit in FileExplorer's list;
Host = <ip_address>;
User Name = "humaxftp";
Password = "0000" (your system PIN)

Further down the settings you might find the unit has already been found on your network and can be clicked to set the IP address.

Click "Save", and now you should be able to select the 2000T in the left pane and browse the file system in the right pane. FileExplorer can play iOS-compatible video files directly, but that does not include recorded TS files and the recordings on the main drive are encrypted anyway. You can also use FileExplorer to copy files between the iPad and the FTP server, for other apps to use.

VLC can play TS, and IIRC it also has FTP capability built-in (although I can't find it at the moment).

To solve the problem of encryption, see https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/how-to-download-humax-files-to-pc-decrypted.436/

Last edited:
I have downloaded an FTP client but cannot figure out how to find the HDR or USB drive. Any advice? I can see the HDR within Windows Explorer under "Network/Media Devices" locations. Maybe I need to HDR to be connected via WiFi? Or do I need to look somewhere specific within the FTP client? I am only seeing local disks physically built into my laptop.
You need the 2000T to be connected to the same network as your PC - it doesn't matter whether that's by Ethernet or WiFi, as long as the same router is handling both parts of the network.

Hey, thanks for that. I managed to get access via Windows Explorer and FileExplorer on the iPad.

My query is now: how do I play the files? I have VLC on both iPad and laptop. But on the laptop, Windows wants to open one of my internet browsers and does not allow me to choose VLC player. Do I need to copy across to the hard disk? Or is there is way to "stream" the video?

On the iPad, do I need to download it too? I tried streaming to VLC player but only got about 5 seconds of video before it stopped. VLC seems to have FTP (via "local network", "connect to server", then FTP tab) but I cannot get it to connect even though I am sure I am using the same settings.

What is IIRC? I can't find it on the App Store

Ah, thanks!

The files I am trying to access have been decryped and work on my laptop when using VLC player. They are TS files.

Move them back to the local storage and use DLNA!

PC: load Splash Player as your video player of choice. Windows problem is that nothing is registered to handle .ts files.

iPad: which model is it? Older ones won't have the power needed to smoothly play TS. VLC can be rather a pig on iOS, and anyway iOS itself is very restictive on what you can do.

In any case, now you can access the files your original problem is solved. The rest is down to configuring tech to be able to use them in the way you want (and usually one ends up with a compromise or gives up).

Last edited:
OK, thanks for the help so far. I am using an iPad Air.

If anyone else wants to chip in...I'd rather not have to copy back and forward to view a film, as that takes a while. On VLC I can see the HDR and watch directly from it (it appears under UPnP on VLC). But the ideal goal is to be able to leave the USB attached to the DVR so I can copy off of the DVR (removing the encryption) but then not have to copy back or reconnect the USB to the router to access on iPad or other devices. I can't figure out why VLC won't connect over FTP - any ideas?

Or is there a better way to get this setup with additional hardware? Some way of being able to copy/export from the HDR to an external hard drive, but have that hard drive available over the network so that it can be accessed by laptops, phones, iPad?

I can't figure out why VLC won't connect over FTP - any ideas?
I have never succeeded in that. The FTP aspect of VLC for iOS appears non-functional. Look for another player app.

Or is there a better way to get this setup with additional hardware? Some way of being able to copy/export from the HDR to an external hard drive, but have that hard drive available over the network so that it can be accessed by laptops, phones, iPad?
Does your router have USB storage capability? Some offer a DLNA server to access media on USB storage connected to it (look for a USB port on the router - there's no guarantee it works if you have one, but if there's no USB port it can't have it!). Alternatively invest in a NAS drive (eg WD Cloud). You can then FTP decrypted recordings to the NAS (or router NAS), and the content will be available to any DLNA client on your network (including the 2000T).

The very best solution (IMO) is to ditch the 2000T in favour of an HDR-FOX plus custom firmware.

Last edited:
Also, I downloaded Splash Player but it is not appearing as an option in Windows as program to run the TS file. I have changed the default back to VLC and checked that TS is registered to be opened by VLC (the icon has also changed to the VLC icon when I see the file within Windows Explorer).

I think what I am going to do is leave the smaller USB drive connected to the HDR, allowing me to copy to it from the HDR and remove encryption. And now that I have a larger external hard drive connected to the router, and access to the smaller USB via the HDR, I can copy from one to the other - and once it is on the larger HDR (connected to the router), I can then access the files there via the router whether on laptop or iPad.

So my question now is, should I just get a bigger USB drive to house it all (I currently need about 1.5TB). Any advice? Do I need to be thinking of a NAS?

If it works from the router just use the router. One less piece of kit to keep powered.

(1.5TB is an awful lot of video to keep on-line just because you might want to look at it one day. I bet you never will,)

Back