Giving up on the FVP-4000T

GTG

As my HDR-FOX T2 has been playing up I though I would try replacing it with the FVP-4000T. assuming that at some or all the grumbles discussed here might have been addressed by the latest firmware.

How wrong can you be?

My gear is located in the attic (who needs physical media anymore) so I have been up and down that ladder at least a dozen times in 2 weeks.

The first problem I encountered was not coming out of standby after automatic power down. Easily fixed by disabling power management - but what's the point in a low energy device running 24/7?

Next, was the crash and burn pressing text - a screen full of snow followed by a Humax logo did not go down well with the first coffee of the day.

This was followed by problems picking up an IP address when wired.

On 3 occasions the FVP-4000T failed to renew it's IP address using DHCP and ended up with a 169.xxx address (APIPA address). 1st sign of trouble is pressing on-demand and getting a connect to the internet or similar message.

Configuring a static IP still gave no internet access and as I'm using the same cable and router port that kept my Fox happy for years - I can only conclude that the FVP-4000T lan port may flakey.

Final straw was tonight. As a test I started copying some recordings to an external drive at 5 am. Not a vast amount - maybe 10% or 50GB. I came home to find the FVP-4000T not responding to any of my remotes, the new Humax FVP remote, the old Humax FOX remote (same codes) nor the OFA remotes programmed to control all my gear.

Up the ladder again to find the hard drive flashing away - the copy was still in progress and the box would not respond to anything. Possible it would have recovered when the the copy completed, but rather than wait nnn hours - it was power cycled.

As many others have reported - the GUI leaves a lot to be desired - I could live with the GUI, and the sluggish response but I draw the line a power cycling a brand new box so often just to get it to work.

So it's going back to Argos.

GtG

As my HDR-FOX T2 has been playing up I though I would try replacing it with the FVP-4000T. assuming that at some or all the grumbles discussed here might have been addressed by the latest firmware.

How wrong can you be?

My gear is located in the attic (who needs physical media anymore) so I have been up and down that ladder at least a dozen times in 2 weeks.
Mine is under the TV so access is good for me.
first problem I encountered was not coming out of standby after automatic power down. Easily fixed by disabling power management - but what's the point in a low energy device running 24/7?
Touch wood not had a problem like this yet
Next, was the crash and burn pressing text - a screen full of snow followed by a Humax logo did not go down well with the first coffee of the day.
Not seen this either
This was followed by problems picking up an IP address when wired.
Mine is wired to the router and is always connected
On 3 occasions the FVP-4000T failed to renew it's IP address using DHCP and ended up with a 169.xxx address (APIPA address). 1st sign of trouble is pressing on-demand and getting a connect to the internet or similar message.

Configuring a static IP still gave no internet access and as I'm using the same cable and router port that kept my Fox happy for years - I can only conclude that the FVP-4000T lan port may flakey.

Final straw was tonight. As a test I started copying some recordings to an external drive at 5 am. Not a vast amount - maybe 10% or 50GB. I came home to find the FVP-4000T not responding to any of my remotes, the new Humax FVP remote, the old Humax FOX remote (same codes) nor the OFA remotes programmed to control all my gear.
Agree with this a connected drive is unreliable in my experience, but copying files over the network(FVP wired to router and laptop connected via WiFi) has worked so far
Up the ladder again to find the hard drive flashing away - the copy was still in progress and the box would not respond to anything. Possible it would have recovered when the the copy completed, but rather than wait nnn hours - it was power cycled.

As many others have reported - the GUI leaves a lot to be desired - I could live with the GUI, and the sluggish response but I draw the line a power cycling a brand new box so often just to get it to work.
GUI is absolute carp and would need complete overhaul, slow clunky and way too many button presses
So it's going back to Argos.

GtG

Just added my experience for comparison.
Good luck with your next choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! What a revelation! People still shop at Argos!:o_O:
I do, when they have the stuff in stock - which they often don't. Never any problems returning faulty items - which they seem to stock a lot of, just waiting for me...:mad: :D

People still shop at Argos!
I've been in there 4 times in the last year, having barely been in the place more than a couple of times in the last 20 prior to that.
I do, when they have the stuff in stock - which they often don't.
You must want different stuff to me then, 'cos I've never had any problems.
I remember going in to the one in Broad Marsh when it opened, as their model was all new and whizzy and exciting. Endless fun looking through the catalogues (although nearly half of it seemed to be jewellery tat - now we have TV to do that for those so inclined - progress?). God, the 70s must have been dull :lol:.

You must want different stuff to me then, 'cos I've never had any problems.
I'm looking at the website, trying to find where an item is stocked. Not locally. Alternative item. Not locally. Another alternative - can't tell me, go to store and order it. The place has gone downhill since Sainsbury's took it over.:mad:
I remember going in to the one in Broad Marsh when it opened, as their model was all new and whizzy and exciting. Endless fun looking through the catalogues (although nearly half of it seemed to be jewellery tat - now we have TV to do that for those so inclined - progress?). God, the 70s must have been dull :lol:.
As I remember it, half the shop was jewellery. And yes, the 70's were dull.

Talking of the 70's, whatever happened to white dog poo? I think that Humax were inspired by such matter to come up with the cappuccino version of the FVP-4000T.

I remember when Argos used to call itself Green Shield Stamps.

Years ago I told a colleague to get an Argos catalogue. He asked why. I said that way he had a target high price when he went bargain hunting. These days, the internet has made that redundant.

The only times I ever had trouble returning anything, one was Comet and the other Argos. Argos tried to exclude iPods from their returns policy. I had to work really hard to get the money back.

I remember when Argos used to call itself Green Shield Stamps.
Two different stores, I think. Used to like the stamps.
The only times I ever had trouble returning anything, one was Comet and the other Argos. Argos tried to exclude iPods from their returns policy. I had to work really hard to get the money back.
That returns policy applies to unwanted items. If there is a fault with the item they shouldn't complain. Which is why I prefer to go to the actual shop. You can always show them the fault, if necessary.

iPods are/were excluded from the unwanted item return policy. Apparently, peeling back the seal on them makes them unsaleable as new.

Large domestic items, eg, elephants, are also excluded, and some jewellery.

Last edited by a moderator:
I learn something new every day! Didn't know they were connected. GS shop and Argos being in different locations probably confused me.
Here, cashing in stamps morphed into taking in cash. Or a cheque. Those were the days...

Nice queue graphics, though!

When an acquaintance set to modernizing the Pru some years ago, it was stuck in the C19th.

Back