Glitches in playback and problems with live pause

I've had alot of problems with playback of recordings over the last few weeks - heavy pixellation and skipping past several seconds of the programme. I've run fix-disk (the HDD is only 3 months old), but it didn't help.
In the meantime I also just had strange problem with pausing live TV - the pause button on the remote (both the Humax remote and my universal remote) wouldn't pause live TV. I tried pausing from the Web IF (I'm running the custom firmware), and that didn't work either.
Eventually I changed channels, then back to the original channel, and the problem went away.
I don't know if the above two problems are related, but has anyone else experienced this combination of issues?

In the meantime I also just had strange problem with pausing live TV - the pause button on the remote (both the Humax remote and my universal remote) wouldn't pause live TV. I tried pausing from the Web IF (I'm running the custom firmware), and that didn't work either.
Eventually I changed channels, then back to the original channel, and the problem went away.
Known bug: if you are watching a specific LCN (say 1), and select that LCN again (ie press 1 on the handset), TSR stops working. This might even be an undocumented feature to halt TSR activity to the HDD! It is corrected by changing channel (rather than reselecting the same channel.

I've had alot of problems with playback of recordings over the last few weeks - heavy pixellation and skipping past several seconds of the programme. I've run fix-disk (the HDD is only 3 months old), but it didn't help.
Poor signal will have this effect, or maybe even excessive signal.

Known bug: if you are watching a specific LCN (say 1), and select that LCN again (ie press 1 on the handset), TSR stops working. This might even be an undocumented feature to halt TSR activity to the HDD! It is corrected by changing channel (rather than reselecting the same channel.

Poor signal will have this effect, or maybe even excessive signal.
Ah that's interesting - I think I had done just that (re-entering the channel number) before the issue occurred.

On the signal issue - I carried out a controlled experiment by recording the same programme on both the Humax and an old Panasonic Bluray/PVR. Both use the same RF feed (the Panasonic takes its RF input from the RF output of the Humax). When I played back the programme on both devices, only the Humax had problems with pixellation and skipping forward a few seconds. Could this be an issue with the tuner in the Humax?

Could this be an issue with the tuner in the Humax?
Probably not, what does Hidden Service Menu >> Signal Detection* report? There is no reason to presume different items of equipment have the same sensitivity and noise floor.

* Not Menu >> Settings >> System >> Signal Detection – the service menu** version provides testing of the two tuners independently.

** "Hidden" Service Menu: Menu >> Settings >> System >> System Information >> R G Y B G Y B

Did it complete successfully? Can you post the log?
Yep here's the log....
Code:
Running /bin/fix-disk                                                                                                                                             

Checking disk sda (4096 byte sectors)                                                                                                                             

Unmounted /dev/sda1                                                                                                                                               
Unmounted /dev/sda2                                                                                                                                               
Unmounted /dev/sda3                                                                                                                                               

Running short disk self test                                                                                                                                       

No pending sectors found - skipping sector repair                                                                                                                 

Checking partition tables...                                                                                                                                       

MBR Status: MBR only                                                                                                                                               
GPT Status: not present                                                                                                                                           

Using superblock 0 on sda1                                                                                                                                         
Using superblock 0 on sda2                                                                                                                                         
Using superblock 0 on sda3                                                                                                                                         

Fri May 12 14:44:02 BST 2023: Checking partition /dev/sda3...                                                                                                     
e2fsck 1.42.13 (17-May-2015)                                                                                                                                       
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes                                                                                                                         
 Pass 1: Memory used: 240k/0k (157k/84k), time: 19.60/ 2.03/ 4.36                                                                                                 
Pass 1: I/O read: 163MB, write: 0MB, rate: 8.32MB/s                                                                                                               
Pass 2: Checking directory structure                                                                                                                               
Pass 2: Memory used: 340k/0k (259k/82k), time:  0.01/ 0.00/ 0.00                                                                                                   
Pass 2: I/O read: 0MB, write: 0MB, rate: 0.00MB/s                                                                                                                 
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity                                                                                                                           
Peak memory: Memory used: 340k/0k (259k/82k), time: 20.52/ 2.28/ 4.43                                                                                             
/lost+found not found.  Create? yes                                                                                                                               

Pass 3A: Memory used: 340k/0k (263k/78k), time:  0.00/ 0.00/ 0.00                                                                                                 
Pass 3A: I/O read: 0MB, write: 0MB, rate: 0.00MB/s                                                                                                                 
Pass 3: Memory used: 340k/0k (262k/79k), time:  5.23/ 0.08/ 0.04                                                                                                   
Pass 3: I/O read: 1MB, write: 0MB, rate: 0.19MB/s                                                                                                                 
Pass 4: Checking reference counts                                                                                                                                 
 Pass 4: Memory used: 340k/0k (57k/284k), time:  0.99/ 0.99/ 0.01                                                                                                 
Pass 4: I/O read: 0MB, write: 0MB, rate: 0.00MB/s                                                                                                                 
Pass 5: Checking group summary information                                                                                                                         
 Pass 5: Memory used: 340k/0k (53k/288k), time:  1.90/ 1.88/ 0.00                                                                                                 
Pass 5: I/O read: 0MB, write: 0MB, rate: 0.00MB/s                                                                                                                 

hmx_int_stor: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****                                                                                                                 
          13 inodes used (0.00%, out of 655776)                                                                                                                   
           0 non-contiguous files (0.0%)                                                                                                                           
           0 non-contiguous directories (0.0%)                                                                                                                     
             # of inodes with ind/dind/tind blocks: 1/1/0                                                                                                         
      112533 blocks used (4.29%, out of 2622611)                                                                                                                   
           0 bad blocks                                                                                                                                           
           1 large file                                                                                                                                           

2 regular files                                                                                                                                         
           1 directory                                                                                                                                             
           0 character device files                                                                                                                               
           0 block device files                                                                                                                                   
           0 fifos                                                                                                                                                 
           0 links                                                                                                                                                 
           0 symbolic links (0 fast symbolic links)                                                                                                               
           0 sockets                                                                                                                                               
------------                                                                                                                                                       
           3 files                                                                                                                                                 
Memory used: 340k/0k (53k/288k), time: 28.79/ 5.24/ 4.49                                                                                                           
I/O read: 165MB, write: 1MB, rate: 5.73MB/s                                                                                                                       
Fri May 12 14:44:31 BST 2023                                                                                                                                       

Fri May 12 14:44:31 BST 2023: Checking partition /dev/sda1...                                                                                                     
 Pass 1: Memory used: 140k/0k (62k/79k), time:  1.51/ 0.21/ 0.44                                                                                                   
Pass 1: I/O read: 17MB, write: 0MB, rate: 11.27MB/s                                                                                                               
Pass 2: Memory used: 140k/0k (72k/69k), time:  0.02/ 0.00/ 0.00                                                                                                   
Pass 2: I/O read: 1MB, write: 0MB, rate: 63.85MB/s                                                                                                                 
Peak memory: Memory used: 140k/0k (72k/69k), time:  1.90/ 0.25/ 0.45                                                                                               
/lost+found not found.  Create? yes                                                                                                                               

Pass 3A: Memory used: 140k/0k (73k/68k), time:  0.00/ 0.00/ 0.00                                                                                                   
Pass 3: Memory used: 140k/0k (72k/69k), time:  0.17/ 0.01/ 0.00                                                                                                   
Pass 3: I/O read: 1MB, write: 0MB, rate: 6.05MB/s                                                                                                                 
 Pass 4: Memory used: 140k/0k (51k/90k), time:  0.12/ 0.11/ 0.00                                                                                                   
 Pass 5: Memory used: 140k/0k (50k/91k), time:  0.27/ 0.27/ 0.00                                                                                                   
Pass 5: I/O read: 0MB, write: 0MB, rate: 0.00MB/s                                                                                                                 

hmx_int_stor: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****                                                                                                                 

14 inodes used (0.02%, out of 65808)                                                                                                                     
           1 non-contiguous file (7.1%)                                                                                                                           
           0 non-contiguous directories (0.0%)                                                                                                                     
             # of inodes with ind/dind/tind blocks: 2/2/0                                                                                                         
       15573 blocks used (5.92%, out of 263062)                                                                                                                   
           0 bad blocks                                                                                                                                           
           1 large file                                                                                                                                           

2 regular files                                                                                                                                         
           2 directories                                                                                                                                           
           0 character device files                                                                                                                               
           0 block device files                                                                                                                                   
           0 fifos                                                                                                                                                 
           0 links                                                                                                                                                 
           0 symbolic links (0 fast symbolic links)                                                                                                               
           0 sockets                                                                                                                                               
------------                                                                                                                                                       
           4 files                                                                                                                                                 
Memory used: 140k/0k (50k/91k), time:  2.55/ 0.65/ 0.47                                                                                                           
I/O read: 17MB, write: 1MB, rate: 6.67MB/s                                                                                                                         
Fri May 12 14:44:34 BST 2023                                                                                                                                       

Creating swap file...                                                                                                                                             
Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 1073737728 bytes                                                                                                           
UUID=183cddc9-52b8-4b00-8a65-d988948cf50e                                                                                                                         

Fri May 12 14:44:55 BST 2023: Checking partition /dev/sda2...                                                                                                     
 Pass 1: Memory used: 1484k/19440k (790k/695k), time: 6945.56/2885.34/904.21                                                                                       
Pass 1: I/O read: 30552MB, write: 0MB, rate: 4.40MB/s                                                                                                             
 Pass 2: Memory used: 1484k/38412k (768k/717k), time:  6.69/ 1.10/ 0.30                                                                                           
Pass 2: I/O read: 6MB, write: 0MB, rate: 0.90MB/s                                                                                                                 
Peak memory: Memory used: 1484k/38412k (768k/717k), time: 7041.63/2973.87/904.62                                                                                   
Pass 3A: Memory used: 1484k/38412k (786k/699k), time:  0.00/ 0.00/ 0.00                                                                                           
Pass 3: Memory used: 1484k/38412k (760k/725k), time:  0.08/ 0.06/ 0.00                                                                                             
Pass 3: I/O read: 1MB, write: 0MB, rate: 12.20MB/s                                                                                                                 
 Pass 4: Memory used: 1484k/468k (682k/803k), time: 184.76/182.32/ 0.17                                                                                           
 Pass 5: Memory used: 1484k/468k (664k/821k), time: 789.55/359.42/ 7.45                                                                                           
Pass 5: I/O read: 116MB, write: 0MB, rate: 0.15MB/s                                                                                                               

15098 inodes used (0.01%, out of 121380864)                                                                                                                 
        1312 non-contiguous files (8.7%)                                                                                                                           
          23 non-contiguous directories (0.2%)                                                                                                                     
             # of inodes with ind/dind/tind blocks: 1535/838/13                                                                                                   
   245494129 blocks used (50.57%, out of 485492331)                                                                                                               
           0 bad blocks                                                                                                                                           
         184 large files                                                                                                                                           

12560 regular files                                                                                                                                         
         613 directories                                                                                                                                           
          90 character device files                                                                                                                               
         112 block device files                                                                                                                                   
           0 fifos                                                                                                                                                 
         103 links                                                                                                                                                 
        1714 symbolic links (1695 fast symbolic links)                                                                                                             
           0 sockets                                                                                                                                               
------------                                                                                                                                                       
       15192 files                                                                                                                                                 
Memory used: 1484k/468k (664k/821k), time: 8016.10/3515.68/912.26                                                                                                 
I/O read: 30675MB, write: 1MB, rate: 3.83MB/s                                                                                                                     
Fri May 12 16:58:31 BST 2023                                                                                                                                       
Removing extra swap space.                                                                                                                                         

Finished                                                                                                                                                           
fix-disk: session terminated with exit status 0

Back