Goodbye humax

Scouser

My wife is struggling too much with the controls on our box, so I’m ditching it for a tv with built in freesat. Is there anyway I can preserve almost 1 tb of bargain hunts?

What I have done in a similar situation is program up a Harmony handset. The more capable models have touch screens and help text.

My wife is struggling too much with the controls on our box, so I’m ditching it for a tv with built in freesat. Is there anyway I can preserve almost 1 tb of bargain hunts?

The UI on the TV will be virtually identical. Humax aren't responsible for the 2nd generation UI, that's down to Freesat. I have a Panasonic twin tuner Freesat TV. The User interface is the same as my HDR-1000S.

Only ways I know of preserving your recordings is

1 Get a HDMI games recording device that ignores HDCP

or

2 Connect a digital modulator to the box HDMI out. Use a Freeview-HD pvr to record the single frequency single channel DVB-S HD it creates by tuning the Freeview pvr to this.

HD recordings are known to be encrypted. It's possible if the recordings were made in SD then by connecting the HDD to a drive cradle connected by USB to a PC booted into linux that copying the xxxx.ts files to the PC that you may get files that can be played back on the PC using media player software like VLC.

Last edited:
I have the same box and the only way to transfer recordings is to connect a PC and record them in “live-time” using a pvr lead to your PC. I have had to do this through my laptop and if you have 1TB of recordings could take you quite some time...

I have the same box and the only way to transfer recordings is to connect a PC and record them in “live-time” using a pvr lead to your PC. I have had to do this through my laptop and if you have 1TB of recordings could take you quite some time...

A digital modulator together with a Freeview-HD pvr will copy them in real time in full-HD quality (but not DD 5.1 audio) . PC's do not have HDMI inputs so can only copy analogue composite video in poor quality.

To copy SD recordings you would need to remove the HDD and connect it to a PC booted into Linux. This would be very fast if USB 3.0 devices were used.

If the OP was keeping the old box and simply replacing the HDD. All recordings could be copied to a PC and restored to the new HDD. This works because the encryption key remains the same.

A digital modulator creates a digital HD mux (just the same as a broadcast one) that the pvr can tune and record. If it's HDR-FOX-T2 the recordings will not be encrypted so can then easily be archived and used on other kit.

HDMI input recorders that record to a USB hard disk designed to record HD games console action do exist but the OP would need to import one from the US that ignores HDCP handshaking.

One of these may work. Ask the vendor

Last edited:
Is is certain the StDef recordings are not encrypted on disk (or even the whole file system encrypted)?

No to 1. Yes to 2.

Amongst others I attempted to read the FS from a early G2 box without success, At some time presumably a software update, made all the individual files including the support files (subtly different to the Foxsat-HDR and the HDR-Fox-T2 ones). available.

There are posts on My Humax proving it possible to transfer all recordings from an old hard disk to a replacement drive. Afaik no one has bothered to try transferring SD recordings. Never recording SD can't say I have ever had any incentive to preserve SD from the original HDD. As the Freeview-HD spec does not impose any requirement to encrypt SD, why would any manufacturer complicate the firmware to do so ? Even the latest FVP-5000T allows copying of SD to to a Windows 10 PC.

As the Freeview-HD spec does not impose any requirement to encrypt SD, why would any manufacturer complicate the firmware to do so ?
As there is no official means to transfer any recordings off the box, it would complicate the firmware to make an exception for StDef.

No to 1. Yes to 2.

Amongst others I attempted to read the FS from a early G2 box without success, At some time presumably a software update, made all the individual files including the support files (subtly different to the Foxsat-HDR and the HDR-Fox-T2 ones). available.

There are posts on My Humax proving it possible to transfer all recordings from an old hard disk to a replacement drive. Afaik no one has bothered to try transferring SD recordings. Never recording SD can't say I have ever had any incentive to preserve SD from the original HDD. As the Freeview-HD spec does not impose any requirement to encrypt SD, why would any manufacturer complicate the firmware to do so ? Even the latest FVP-5000T allows copying of SD to to a Windows 10 PC.
The HDR-Fox-T2 was easy to transfer SD files by using the box as a hub and you could transfer files over wi-fi to practically any device.

The HDR-Fox-T2 was easy to transfer SD files by using the box as a hub and you could transfer files over wi-fi to practically any device.
We know that (very well) - this thread is talking about Freetime boxes specifically, which have a mandated Freetime-specified user interface and functionality.

Bear in mind there were significant "can't dos" with the HDR-FOX too... until we got at it with custom firmware. No such opportunities with Freetime.

As the Freeview-HD spec does not impose any requirement to encrypt SD, why would any manufacturer complicate the firmware to do so ?
Why would they not? To separate SD from HD requires some sort of filter, thus the software needs to be more complex to encrypt only HD, not less.

UPDATE
A long story....................bear with me.
My wife has memory problems, and was struggling to use the humax controller (see previous posts on this subject from me). To simplify things, I bought a Samsung series 8 TV, which the blurb said had freesat built in. The blurb didn't say it didn't record!
To cut the story short, I'm running the TV through the humax but it now needs two controllers to get it going. The box shuts down when the tv is turned off. Is there anyway I can get the box to start when the tv is switched on with the Samsung controller?
Things are actually simpler for my missus now, but I've lost all the smart things like voice control by running the tv on the box.

Use a universal remote with macro facility - such as a Logitech Harmony.

The blurb didn't say it didn't record!
Did the blurb say it did record? Presumably not. Why would you think it had additional facilities that were not mentioned?

Are you sure, anyway? It will require a drive connected to a USB port before it will record, if it can.

Black Hole- something personal about me. I'm severely sight impaired. This means I miss stuff. I'm sure the blurb said "you can also record programmes". What it didn't say was you had to buy something extra to be able to do so. It's just as well, probably, as my missus gets to use the humax controller, which she is familiar with, and not have to be trained to use the Samsung one. You want to hear her swearing at alaexa to try and get that to work, so the loss of voice control is probably not all that bad.
Strangely enough, if you don't switch on the box, but go to catchup, it works, so some signal must be getting through the box to make that happen. You still have to start the box though to carry on watching live telly.

Turn off HDMI Control
UPDATE
A long story....................bear with me.
My wife has memory problems, and was struggling to use the humax controller (see previous posts on this subject from me). To simplify things, I bought a Samsung series 8 TV, which the blurb said had freesat built in. The blurb didn't say it didn't record!
To cut the story short, I'm running the TV through the humax but it now needs two controllers to get it going. The box shuts down when the tv is turned off. Is there anyway I can get the box to start when the tv is switched on with the Samsung controller?
Things are actually simpler for my missus now, but I've lost all the smart things like voice control by running the tv on the box.

Are you sure the TV can't record, Most will provide you connect a portable USB HDD to a usb port on the TV. Also this adds pause of live TV. This will restore the missing capability. To get the Humax box to start you need to turn on CEC control on both the TV and the Humax box.

you can also record programmes
Yep. As in 'you can drive this car to London' ... but you'll need to put fuel in it.
There may well have been one of those tiny * at the end directing you to the small print about needing to attach a suitable storage device. From what you say about your sight you'd almost certainly not have seen that.

Back