Green screen & network

MikeSh

We had a continuous green screen on waking one box last night. The box wasn't recording so I put it back to standby and out again and it worked. No biggy.
Later, my wife was watching for a while and after she finished the box was put to 'recording in standby'. I tried to use WebIf, but the browser couldn't connect to the box. I wondered if the IP address had got 'lost' but when I pulled the box out of r-i-s I had the green screen again, so couldn't check. (Still couldn't raise the WebIf in the browser even in full on). I checked the other box and that connected no problem, so it wasn't a general router or network fault.
When the recording had finished the box went to standby and a little later I started it up again to investigate further. No green screen. Network settings all OK. WebIf ... working normally. :confused:
As a 'precaution' after I finished and put the box back to sleep I powered it off completely for a while as well. On repowering it went into a half awake state (blue ring and a couple of icons on-dim). Had to wake it and send it down again to get a proper standby.

So I'm wondering if there is some connection between the green screen and lack of communication. May be a coincidence, but I tend not to believe in those until proven.
I'd ask that if anyone gets a continuous green screen then if they have the chance just have a quick check to see if the box can be accessed via the network. It might not be very useful in terms of fixing anything, but I'd quite like to know if these are related issues.

Happened again tonight. Put box and TV into standby for a while (box was recording) and on pulling them out we had perma-green.
Tried pulling HDMIs etc to no avail. Then tried accessing the box via WebIf and it wouldn't connect.
Once the box finished recording it dropped into full standby and on bringing it out again (without powering down) the picture was fine and WebIf connected again.
My suspicion from this is that the green screen may not be an HDMI issue per se but a failure deeper inside the system that is affecting both the network (or USB) and video outputs.

The green screen is what you get when the copy-protection on an HDMI port (HDCP) fails to negotiate a valid connection.

Rebooting the Humax fixes it, by forcing a renegotiation.

The green screen is what you get when the copy-protection on an HDMI port (HDCP) fails to negotiate a valid connection.

Rebooting the Humax fixes it, by forcing a renegotiation.

I know.
It's the reason for the HDMI/HDCP failure that is puzzling me as it appears the 'fault' may not be the port itself but a more general comms problem.

What TV do you have ?
I have a green screen problem with a Panasonic plasma every now and then. It seems though if I start the humax first and let it fully start than switch over the AV to it, I have a very good chance of not getting it (Not 100% about a 98%). If I do it the other way its a gamble.
I also find switching the Panasonic TV back to TV mode on the AV selector after I have finished watching the humax helps. I have had this problem a few years. And the above seems to work for me. I have tried different HDMI slots , new cable and lots of time. But because it does not do it every time its hard to find a 100% fix.

Another thing I noticed is I never had a green screen if the box was recording and I switched to it from the TV (no mater how I switched to it)

I'm not saying this will help but it will give you some idea and HDCP can be a pain with some systems.

Back