Green screen

danco

From time to time my HDR Fox T2, connected to a Samsung 40-inch TV (can give exact model if needed) shows up with a green screen, and just pressing buttons doesn't bring up a proper program. I have so far got it working by a mix of turning the TV and the Fox on and off, (usually more than once) but I haven't worked out the right sequence to get it working every time. The Samsung does indicate that the Humax is connected to the HDMI port just before the screen goes green.

This is new. I guess that it is due to my recent installation of a TalkTalk YouView box, and that even when this is off it somehow at times affects the Humax input.

Any suggestions for clearing this up would be welcome. Either permanently, or a way of button-pressing that always works.

The "green screen" occurs when the HDMI connection fails to negotiate during start-up. Curing it may involve rebooting the HDR-FOX (properly, not just a quick off-on with the standby button), or could possibly respond if you force the TV to renegotiate the connection (eg rebooting the TV, or breaking and re-making the HDMI link).

Unfortunately some TVs do not regard switching source as a renegotiation trigger.

Also unfortunately, this is sometimes the beginning of the end.

Humax kept tweaking the HDMI negotiation with different firmware versions so you could try a different one.
Have you recently changed version? That could explain why it's a recent phenomenon.

I've gone to the latest custom firmware (the one a week or so ago, and then the later corrected version). But I suspect that it is related to the new box, might be cured by swapping HDMI connectors around. Hopefully it isn't"beginning of the end", that would be a great coincidence given that I have the new third item connected.

Negotiation problems seems very likely. I guess I'll just have to follow the suggestions and see if I can figure out a consistent way of making sure renegotiation takes place.

The version of custom firmware itself is irrelevant; what matters regarding HDMI negotiation is which version of Humax firmware it is built on. We currently support 1.02.20, 1.02.32, and 1.03.12 (all with the latest CF - 3.12).

Whilst it may be instructive to test the different versions of Humax firmware, it will be inconvenient to settle on one that does not offer the desired other features.

I am on 1.03.12 and have been for ages.

Do you think changing the order of the HDMI connectors would help? I can just try, of course.

No configuration ever worked for me. That is why I stopped using Humax boxes. They all do this. Either that or the picture has a purple overlay.

What used to work (and obviously I will try it) is only having two boxes, Humax and DVD. But I want the third box, the TalkTalk Youview one.

I think just knowing that it is a negotiation issue is very helpful. And that the methods I have tried to get it to renegotiate are the right ones but that there isn't a way that is guaranteed to work, I just have to try.

What used to work (and obviously I will try it) is only having two boxes, Humax and DVD.
Regardless of wanting to include the YouView box, reverting to a previously working configuration will confirm that it still works, and eliminate failure as the cause of the problem.

If it still has problems, simplify further. When there is just the HDR-FOX and the TV, you still need to eliminate the TV. Is there any chance the TV has updated itself?

As you say, when I have time I will remove the YouView and check if it goes back to ok.

My TV does update itself from time to time. I can easily find out what version the TV is on, but can I tell when it was last updated? It's a 2016 Samsung, UE40KU6400 if I read the model number correctly.

The latest for the UExxJU7000 is 1490.3 and was released a several days ago. Not sure whether this for your flavour of Sammy though. 'Menu > Support > Software update' to find the ver No of installed S/W

I guess that it is due to my recent installation of a TalkTalk YouView box, and that even when this is off it somehow at times affects the Humax input.
Sorry for the interruption. When you say that the TalkTalk box was off do you mean in standby or via the on/off button at the back/plug?

The reason I ask is that I had my first green screen issue last night. It was with an HDR-FOX T2 (1.03.12) connected via an HDMI switch with another HDR-FOX T2 (1.02.20). The TalkTalk was powered off. Moving the HDMI for the Humax to the Sony TV's CEC HDMI input that was being used for the TalkTalk (DN372T version 1 hardware on latest old gen) and the green screen went away. Re-configuring the connections as they were and it came back.

After fully powering down everything and restarting mine appears OK with the original configuration which means I can't experiment further.

Moving inputs also cured the problems for me. I tried direct connection to the tv, via an av amp, via an av switch, hdmi cec or no, and eventually found a configuration that always worked.

The configuration was to use two Panasonic boxes instead of two Humax boxes. It completely cured the problem. I can recommend this wholeheartedly.

I'm glad to say that all worked once I disconnected the YouView box. So it was the renegotiation issue, not a failure of the Humax.

Moving around the inputs seems to have cured the problem. Anyway, knowing what the issue is has helped me.

Mines done this for years too, no matter the firmware version. Might see if my TV can be update. Only real issue is when I'm recording and want to watch something. To restart or not to restart. Doesn't always happen though.
I'm using 1.02.32 as I like the speed in the on TV EPG.

I too have an HDR-Fox T2 and a 40" Samsung TV connected by HDMI and it has just started doing something similar. When you first turn the Humax on, you get a few seconds of proper Humax graphics and then it goes all green. If you change channels, it goes black for a short time and then back to green again. I am presuming therefore that it is not an HDMI negotiation problem or indeed a cable problem. Using a SCART lead, it is fine. Can anyone offer any guidance please?

It most certainly IS the HDMI handshake.

My solution is to use an HDMI matrix. I have a two output/six input model. As I have numerious devices that I connect. There are plenty of discusions on the subject. I recommend you use the search facility.

HTH

Back