Green screen

DataSlayer

I just bought a 2nd hand HDR Fox T2 500gb. I plugged it in to the aerial and to my LG 43uk6300plb TV using an HDMI lead that works fine on my bluray player. It turns on and the wizard flashes up asking me to select a language but this then disappears and the screen goes green and I cannot do anything with it. I understand this may be a HDMI handshake issue so my question is if I return and get another one is it likely to work or is it an incompatibility between TV and Humax and they will never work together?

Thanks
Simon

Impossible to say. On what grounds would you return the unit (distance selling regulations do not apply to second hand goods - you would have to show it is not as described)? I recommend testing it on at least one other TV before you conclude it doesn't work.

However, that said, I do not understand why it even starts presenting menus. Try making progress using an analogue connection instead of the HDMI. Is your TV 4K? See here: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/green-screen-when-upgraded-to-4k-tv.9401/

But hardly the same as "distance selling regulations do not apply to second hand goods" which you were claiming. Looking on ebay at least 5 of the last 10 second hand HDR-FOX Ts sold using "Buy Now" are covered by the distance selling regulations.

Sorry, I should have qualified my point, I agree. I assumed the typical second hand HDR-FOX would be offered by a private seller, and I'm not clear how offering "buy now" means it is definitely not a private seller. If it is a business seller, where are they getting a supply of used HDR-FOXes from? I still think it's going to be tough returning an item bought in error if you can't show it was not as described, unless the seller offers a "no quibble" service.

To clarify then: the OP appears to have a 4K TV, and there is a recent report of HDMI from the HDR-FOX not working with a 4K TV (and also a report of a 4K TV that does work, and another report of using a HDCP-stripper to make it work). There is insufficient evidence to say that the HDR-FOX itself is faulty, and also insufficient evidence to say that the TV is definitely incompatible.

Thanks for the replies.

I bought it from CEX so can return easily.

My LG TV is 4k and my symptoms sound the same as in that other thread, perhaps I need one of those devices that upgrades the HDCP but it costs almost as much as the Humax Fox T2 cost me!

I will do some more research.

Thanks

To clarify then: the OP appears to have a 4K TV, and there is a recent report of HDMI from the HDR-FOX not working with a 4K TV (and also a report of a 4K TV that does work, and another report of using a HDCP-stripper to make it work).
To add a data point, I have a 4K LG TV (49UJ750V) and it works fine with both the HDR-FOX T2 and the FVP-5000T.

I have the same TV as you and a T2. The only problem is they are in separate rooms and 'connected' by an HD modulator. I will hoik the T2 to the LG in a bit and test it. But I have to watch the US F1 GP recorded on the T2 first (and look out a spare power and HDMI lead.

It'll be about 11am before I can do it.
I have read other posts about LGs and green screens and have been meaning to test mine with the T2 for a while now. My other (main) set is an older 48" Samsung which works fine.

Ah. Not as simple as I thought. The mains is hard wired to the T2 and it's a real pain in the butt to get behind the setup to unplug it, especially as it is all tie-wrapped up and the LG is wall mounted, so that precludes a simple move of the TV and I don't have an HDMI cable long enough either.:(
Sorry

Oh well, fair enough, thanks for trying. I am currently considering returning it for an exchange in the hope it is faulty.

I think there is an alternative of using the 3 RCA component leads, is the picture going to be much worse using them rather than HDMI?

Thanks

Last edited:
Yes.
Having said that. The set does upscale SD to fit the 4k screen pretty damn well.

I think there is an alternative of using the 3 RCA component leads, is the picture going to be much worse using then rather than HDMI?
The best analogue quality will be selecting RGB instead of YUV in the menus (I'm away, can't check the details at the moment, but I think that might apply to the SCART). Either way analogue will be a little worse than StDef, and no comparison with HiDef.

I just wanted to pop back in and provide an update. I returned the original T2 box to CEX, they didnt have any others so I bought another on ebay and it works using HDMI - no green screen at all! I am using the same HDMI port on the same TV and the same HDMI cable, the only thing differing is the actual Humax box. So my original one must have been faulty.

Now to do all those checks I found in another check and then install the custom firmware......

Thanks for the help.

Back