Guide for setting up HDR FOX T2 with xbmc

sancho1983

First post here. Feel free to tell me this is in the wrong place, not up to date or just plain completely wrong.

I have recently purchased a Humax HDR Fox T2 to replace Sky. I also have a few other bits including an Acer Revo running XBMC (openelec) in my bedroom. I wanted to try and make these work together.

After lots of help from BlackHole on AVForums I have managed to set everything up as I want it.

First, install the correct custom firmware as outlined in Black Hole’s brilliant guide here - (won't let me post links, I'm sure someone will post it in the next couple of posts)

After the custom firmware is successfully installed you need to tweak a few things to make your SD and HD recordings viewable on your xbmc system (including fast forward/rewind)

You need to install some packages from the WebIF which has now been installed correctly.
Head to Package Management, click “Available”

9mJsOnH.jpg

Scroll to and install auto-unprotect and samba.

Your “installed” tab should look something like this now

lrakQmi.jpg

Head back to the ‘Home Page’ of the WebIF. Select “Browse Media Files”, go to your root media folder. Your screen should look like this

ZGC5F6U.jpg

Click on “OPT+” and select “Enable Recursive Auto Decrypt”

Zb4JVA7.jpg

This should now allow all of your recordings to be decrypted ready to stream to your xbmc system.
Speaking of which…

Boot it up head to videos > Files (press down on videos if you can’t find it)

CuiNoB1.jpg

Choose “Add Videos” then “Browse”

bCK6Ww8.jpg

Scroll down to “Windows network (SMB)” and press ok

P1SAcAb.jpg

You should see “Humax” listed, choose it, then “Media”, then “My Video”, then Ok.
You should have something like this now. (change the name to be displayed if you wish)

mIcargz.jpg

I wouldn’t set the content on the next screen as chances are you will have lots of different things in there which may cause the scraper to go a bit funny. Just press ok.

Job done.

Make sure that Content Share is turned to "On" on your Humax

Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share

Head to Videos > My Video (or whatever you renamed it to) to find all of your recordings.
HD and SD recordings viewed on an xbmc machine

From what I can see it's certainly not possible to watch currently recording recordings elsewhere, the box should be given enough time to register it has a recording and then a variable time for it to 'decrypt'

Like I said let me know if anything’s wrong, or if this guide is completely unnecessary. I only learnt how to do the Humax stuff today, have a decent knowledge of xbmc though.

If you’ve never used it you should give it a go (it's free, and amazing). Download it for your laptop/PC/AppleTV/Android Stick/Joggler/Revo/Tablet here (won't let me add links - Google is your friend :))

Thanks for looking.

Welcome aboard. The links you mention appear in the signature for all my posts. Once you have accumulated enough posts, you will be able to come back and patch up your post as you wish.

By the way, at the step where you first show the /Media folder, the My Video folder would not have the padlock symbol on it (that indicates you have set it for recursive auto-decrypt).

It should also be mentioned that Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share must be set to "On", and in order to make recorded content accessible this way the Humax DLNA indexer has to have had time to register the recording (a variable and sometimes lengthy delay) and then for the auto-decrypt process to run.

Extract from http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/using-fox-t2-recordings-with-plex-media-server.2003/#post-25775:

The information below applies to HDR-FOX only. For HD-FOX see http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/important-the-differences-between-hd-fox-t2-and-hdr-fox-t2.1365/

Method 2 (WebIF-mediated auto-decryption):
  1. For HiDef ensure auto-unprotect is installed (not necessary for StDef recordings);
  2. Ensure content sharing is turned on (Humax settings);
  3. For any particular folder, use WebIF media browser OPT+ button "recursive auto-decrypt" option to decrypt any present and future recordings in that folder and any sub-folders (all levels). To decrypt all of My Video set the recursive auto-decrypt flag on the My Video folder (use the path links at the top of the listing).
Notes
  1. auto-unprotect needs time to do its scan when first installed. The WebIF "Enc" icon will be removed when a file is available for decryption (this does not mean that it has been decrypted, the "Dec" icon is applied to decrypted recordings).
  2. Content sharing is enabled on the HDR-FOX via Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share = On.
  3. The decrypt options on the WebIF media browser are unavailable if content sharing is not on or there has not been time for indexing. The WebIF DLNA icon will be applied when a recording has been indexed.

Yeah, I did it retrospectively. I'll tidy up later/tomorrow.

Good idea about the sharing business being turned on ;)

Thanks for pointers Black Hole, have added a couple of bits and changed the Screenshots so they're as they should be.

Back