Hacking the on-board Encryption Chip...?

I suspect that most of us know that anyway, but the very clever people here have not yet been able to create the 'Nowster's patch' equivalent

We can only pray that our "obi wan kenobi" @af123 had made some progress in the 2 years since he was looking at it.... because "you're our only hope" ;)

I decrypt 'on the fly' and have not noticed my box grinding to a halt and that's when recording 2 HD programmes.

....lucky you! All three of mine must be on their way out then :(

....it is also possible to decrypt afterwards on a PC
....for the benefit of anyone else reading this thread, EEPhil has very kindly provided a Windows-based decryption tool

With reference to this - would a PC based decryption method be quicker than my usual "decrypt on copy (to my external usb-hdd)" method?

Currently a typical 2-hour HD movie can take nearly half and hour!

.....(approx 6GB file = 25min from memory)

Bloody ridiculous!

Cheers

Hmmm. This thread is an interesting read.

The best way I found to avoid pixellation in recordings (especially as one of my HDR Fox T2s gets a lot of use at once, so it might be recording 2 HD programmes while I'm also using sidecar to generate a new NTS file for imported content not recorded by the box or any other) is :-

• Have the program record "as is" with no chaseget.
  • Have the box set up to decrypt recordings ASAP after they've finished.
  • Also have it set up to perform ad detection after decryption is done, NOT USING the crop feature but only the bookmarks.
This seems to give the box an easier time of it with far less chance of locking up and/or pixellating the recordings. I loved the chaseget feature where it would decrypt while recording and then crop the breaks but found it took too long and wasn't consistent enough to trust long-term; the use of ffmpeg for the cropping on such a weak CPU setup and the constant harddrive thrashing would cause the fan to come on at full speed all too often. It might lock up during this and have to start again too, or finish with a file marked "-len -err" aka Length Error.

Who actually created the famous Patch anyway? Can any learnings be made from looking at the code etc?

Bear in mind, the old Foxsat HDR was a much simpler machine with a fundamentally less complex way of encrypting which only applied to HD recordings. I know because I had one. I think we should all count ourselves lucky we have the decryption and ad-detection facilities at all thanks to the hard work of the CF developers, personally - for me these are among the "killer app" features along with the ability to import other H.264 video with AC3 or AAC audio and have the box build sidecar files that make it play much the same as it's own recordings. Seriously, it can handle high-bitrate content like full frame 1080p from a Blu-ray (think 20-30GB file for a 2 hour movie) and play it back near-perfectly, with the caveat being really high bitrate files can make the box throw up "this channel is scrambled or not available" errors if you start using the transport controls to skip forward and back through the file too much.

With reference to this - would a PC based decryption method be quicker than my usual "decrypt on copy (to my external usb-hdd)" method?

In my experience the HDR Fox T2 can usually auto-decrypt an hour of 1080p HD content in about 3-6 minutes. Which is fine by me, because then it can be placed elsewhere for backup. The "bookmark only end of ads" style ad detection on that same kind of file usually takes about two to three times that, which again is fine by me because I have so many things to watch almost nothing gets viewed live or shortly after recording. Usually when I watch a recording I'm greeted with a file which is decrypted and has skippable ads thanks to the bookmarking. The webIF sometimes moans that "bookmarks on <whatever file> may be out by <X amount of seconds> [Acknowledge button]" but in my experience they're not.

Last edited:
Who actually created the famous Patch anyway?
Nowster.

Can any learnings be made from looking at the code etc?
Do you honestly think that wouldn't have been looked into? You may be new here, but the HDR-FOX hit the streets in 2010 and this forum (or its precursor) has been around almost as long.

Pick one from the list I've given you (post 60), or apply your effort to developing the necessary changes. There are plenty of ways to keep the processing overhead down while you are actually recording, and it is just possible that interference with the recording is due to processor emissions causing signal loss if you have a poor signal or the connecting cable is inadequately screened.

it is just possible that interference with the recording is due to processor emissions causing signal loss if you have a poor signal or the connecting cable is inadequately screened.

Agreed. With my current temporary setup of three HDR Fox T2s and the main TV all coming from one aerial feed I get very few signal issues even on the third box in the chain or the TV which is last - no apparent degradation and all the HDRs seem to report Signal Strength 100% and Signal Quality 80% on almost all channels.

Inappropriate Behaviour
Do you honestly think that wouldn't have been looked into? You may be new here, but the HDR-FOX hit the streets in 2010 and this forum (or its precursor) has been around almost as long.

@Black Hole

cc:
MODERATOR: - fyi....
or @MartinLiddle
or @talos:

You can cut the sarcasm out for starters! - who the hell do you think you are talking to! - If you've got nothing pleasant to say, say nothing at all please!

You need to watch out how your words come across to others.

Besides i addressed MY post to @af123 - NOT YOU! - HE was the person looking at this, as per my copy/paste quotations which dated the original request back in 2017 - if you cared to read - it was HIS side project.

I appreciate any of the members help BUT DO NOT RUBBISH MY SPECIFIC REQUEST PLEASE - you are no better than me just because you've been here longer ok!

I thought we were all supposed to be very welcoming and open to others, not dismiss them.

Feel free not to reply to any of my posts, thank you.

Pick one from the list I've given you (post 60), or apply your effort to developing the necessary changes.

@Black Hole
Don't tell me to pick from your list when you never bothered to read my original post - i said i DO NOT want any future recordings to encrypt - so why direct me to your suggestions? I never asked for advice on this specific post about how to decrypt current content, only FUTURE content - can't you read!..?

....or apply your effort to developing the necessary changes.

@Black Hole
As i explained, if i knew how to, i wouldn't of asked would i....

...please go away and stop abusing your position - you are a passive-aggressive bully Sir and i will ask for a Moderator to step in if this persists!

Thank you

Last edited:
Hmmm. This thread is an interesting read.

The best way I found to avoid pixellation in recordings.... is :-

@zekepliskin

Forgive me but i didn't have any pixilation issues, was this from another member? Do you have any thoughts about future recordings not being encrypted?

I've just joined today and i was hoping this thread was about content not being encrypted automatically - was this thread linked to another one with pixilation issues?

Do you have any specific knowledge that might help us with regards to creating a sort of "Nowsters Patch"?

Kind regards

This guy obviously has massive bollocks and wants everyone to know about it.
Might become the second person on my ignore list...

LOL, someone in fact did help me to block this idiot, whoever he is in real life! - I only joined today and i already got someone on my Ignore list LOL.

I've been following this fantastic forum for years and i've seen this BH guy is a total retard in regards to how he communicates with others. I for one will not stand for this sort of crap - i'm 69 yrs old and i've never been spoken to in that way ever!

I've read loads of threads and he bullies his way through them, and never admits when he's wrong, even when corrected by the other long-serving members.

If he can't address us with a "normal" civil tongue, why the hell is he on here....? ... and why has he not been kicked out already! - Surely his knowledge of the Humax side of things can be obtained from the rest of the long standing members?

Anyway...... keep smiling :)

I hope @af123 will be back soon and can update us in his efforts in finding a Patch to stop the automatic encryption process that he started a few years ago.

Last edited:
I've been following this fantastic forum for years and i've seen this BH guy is a total retard in regards to how he communicates with others.
Please don't refer to another members as a 'total retard'. Black Hole has done an immense amount of work in documenting how to do things with the HDR-FOX T2. Yes he can be a bit abrasive but so it seems can you. Please calm down.

Please don't refer to another members as a 'total retard'. Black Hole has done an immense amount of work in documenting how to do things with the HDR-FOX T2. Yes he can be a bit abrasive but so it seems can you. Please calm down.

Yes you are quite right, my apologies. I should of risen above it, but he made my 69 year old blood boil.

I was only abrasive towards him in reaction to his awful tone. - i've never shied away from bully-boys like him. I always treat people with respect, as documented on all the posts today - he obviously wanted me to treat him like he treats others - with no respect. Everyone else has been fantastic though.

Last edited:
You sound like a 69 year old snowflake to me Ziggy, and a fully signed up member of the ''permanently offended by proxy' brigade. I didn't think people of that age were so sensitive.
And crossing out something but leaving it there doesn't 'un-say' it.
P.S, I've got 8 years on you.

Back