Handset Batteries

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
The original Rocket batteries in my bedroom HD-FOX handset have just given out - they look a bit manky! I don't know how long I've had this one.

Now that is good going for a set of zinc chloride cells. GP alkalines seem to last me a couple of years in the HDR's remote.

Zinc Chloride? I hadn't considered that. We have a lot of reports of these batteries lasting well, and I probably have more knocking around unused in my cold spare. Maybe I should dig them out.

Only one of the Rockets was manky, by the way - the other looks perfect. Good brush out in the battery compartment...

Now that is good going for a set of zinc chloride cells. GP alkalines seem to last me a couple of years in the HDR's remote.
If you are assuming they are zinc because they leaked I'm afraid that's not necessarily so. I've had many alkaline cells leak, though generally well past their expiry date despite still working.
The Rockets in one of ours are currently a year past their date but still look OK (they've been in use for nearly three years). They are labelled 'heavy duty' with no Mercury or Cadmium, but under the bin with a cross symbol there is 'Pb'. Maybe they are lead-acid :)

Batteries in our remotes seem to last forever and I have to make an effort to inspect them once in a while for mankiness since that often precedes failing to power the device.

Two years for alkalines or zinc chlorides in a TV remote is very low. You must be hammering it. I'd expect any alkalines to last in a remote until they die of age (e.g. leak). Even with zinc chloride on my main remote (HDR-FOX T2 used for amplifier and TV as well) I expect them to last until they die of old age rather then being just all used up.

GP zinc are easily available. Are you sure that they are alkaline? I think at one time they looked very similar.

Batteries in our remotes seem to last forever and I have to make an effort to inspect them once in a while for mankiness since that often precedes failing to power the device.
Snap.

If you are assuming they are zinc because they leaked I'm afraid that's not necessarily so.
Nope. "Rocket" is one of the usual names on zinc chloride cells supplied with kit. Does anyone remember "Flying Bomb" cells and batteries?

They are labelled 'heavy duty'...
There you go - standard marking for non-alkaline cells. If they were alkaline they'd shout about it.

Two years for alkalines or zinc chlorides in a TV remote is very low.
I've found that I notice a drop-off in range, in that you can no longer just point in the general direction of the device, at around the 12 months mark with TVs and the old '9200. The HDR's remote doesn't do this until around 2 years.

You must be hammering it.
Lots of skipping back and forward...

GP zinc are easily available. Are you sure that they are alkaline? I think at one time they looked very similar.
Def. alkaline, bought from CPC in bulk packs when they have them at a discount in a flyer. Last lot of AAAs were £6.98/40, under 20p each.

Last edited:
Two years for alkalines or zinc chlorides in a TV remote is very low. You must be hammering it.
Maybe for a TV remote. My Humax remote gets a serious beating and the batteries don't last very long at all - but they are cheap ones. Don't think the original batteries lasted very well either.
Lots of skipping back and forward...
Same here. Plus, as I use my Humax as a set-top box, lots of channel changes as well.

The remote control for my oldest HD-Fox T2, purchased in 2009, has Rocket Alkaline batteries, with a use by date of 09.2012.

I have a further six RM-F04 remote controls for my other boxes, all of which are still using the original Rocket batteries.

Back