HappyGet 2

Is there something wrong with HappyGet2 I should know about ? I have it installed along with the chrome plugin.

Oh, I thought you were trying to invent a "down wid da kiz" new name for the existing package (or its proposed GUI)!

The problems with importing other software are:

1. Is it available as public-domain compilable source code?​
2. If so, will it compile on the Hummy's version of Linux, or does it require libraries that are unavailable?​
3. Assuming there is nothing stopping it compiling, would it actually run (sensibly) with the hardware available?​

The answer to 3 is that unless it uses (or can use) a strictly command line interface (no WIMP), it's a no-go. Even with a command line option, if there are graphics routines built into the code there would have to be a way to strip them out before porting.

I can't answer any of those questions, I'll just plant the seed and see what grows. I know nothing about programming - hell I found following the youtube instruction thread hard enough.

No sorry, I installed it on my PC - its a chrome plug in, that communicates with my qnap NAS, and it does the downloading. Its available [the server bit] for Arm and intel. I figured there might be a long standing security problem with it - hence I mentioned I was using it.

The fact the plug in puts a button on the video you want to download and you can close the browser and it carries on, makes me think it would be really cool to have on the humax. Sadly my ignorance of coding meant I was posting from the heart and not the brain. I have no idea if it can be done.

No sorry, I installed it on my PC - its a chrome plug in, that communicates with my qnap NAS, and it does the downloading. Its available [the server bit] for Arm and intel. I figured there might be a long standing security problem with it - hence I mentioned I was using it.

The fact the plug in puts a button on the video you want to download and you can close the browser and it carries on, makes me think it would be really cool to have on the humax. Sadly my ignorance of coding meant I was posting from the heart and not the brain. I have no idea if it can be done.
It would depend on whether you can persuade HappyGet to download to the Humax disk or you you can play programmes from your NAS by mounting it on the Humax or a Smart TV may be able to access the NAS (bypassing the Humax)

I have seen this :- https://sourceforge.net/projects/happyget/
Not sure if someone could use it ?
It's apparently a Windows program written in C++. So that would be a pretty steep porting challenge for the Humax environment, even if it didn't fail BH's tests #2 (it does: uses the Microsoft Foundation Classes library) and #3 (it does: source file GUIHandler.cpp).

Fortunately youtube-dl basically runs out of the box. There are some issues because it depends on various software components of the CF environment (python, OpenSSL, FFmpeg) whose versions are currently somewhat limited or dated (or both) compared with an up-to-date PC-based Windows or Linux system. Bear in mind that the main problem to be solved by programs like youtube-dl is finding a valid download link in the video page.

If you have a way of downloading videos on some other platform (PC, tablet, etc), that will probably be more successful than yt-dl on the Humax; if you can arrange that the download is saved straight to a share on the Humax, so much the better.

Back