Hard disk and S.M.A.R.T.

That attribute doesn't appear on the 'standard' disks. Can you post the whole line?

BTW. I think my disk may be a little too warm:eek:
Code:
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022  044  042  045    Old_age  Always  FAILING_NOW 56 (1 105 56 34)
Snap !
Code:
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022  051  044  045    Old_age  Always  In_the_past 49 (0 29 49 47)

Here is a copy of the results:
Code:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 35
You can see, my temp is 50, and also you can see the Power-Off Retract Count of 35, it has now increased to 37 after two power cycles of the box!
The different drive manufacturers do not tend to give information on how to decipher the smart results.
However, I don't think this is anything to worry about. The values in the 'RAW_VALUE column shouldn't be compared with the other columns they are just there for information. The values in the VALUE column are a scaled version of the raw value and usually these values go down as the drive ages. When the VALUE column drops below the threshold then that is the time to start worrying about possible failure. I read somewhere that if the threshold is zero then the value is not checked.

This page provides some more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-Monitoring,_Analysis,_and_Reporting_Technology

Thank you, I did find that page useful. My concern is that I have the exact same hard disk installed in my Topfield 5810. The Power-Off Retract Count in the Topfield is 2, which I caused myself by powering off the unit at the mains in error! So, I assume that the Humax is cutting the power to the hard disk just a little too soon.

Whether this ultimately damages or shortens the lifespan of the HDD in the Humax I don't know. What still hasn't been explained to me is what happens when the count reaches the 200 threshold? Will the disk cease to work or will it simply state S.M.A.R.T tests FAILED but continue to work normally?

I seem to be full of questions.....

The time to start worrying is when the number in the VALUE column has fallen from 200 to near the threshold of zero. Even then it probably doesn't matter since a threshold of zero should mean it is ignored.

The raw value is only for information, it is not compared directly with the threshold.

There is now an 'official' release in the repository. Same as the one originally posted here but with a minor tweak to the uninstallation script.

Thanks.

It would me even better if it could be run from the Web Interface rather than the command line. Still, no matter, it works!

On the other hand, as I have found out already, paranoia can set in if you see a 'reading' you are not sure about etal.

2001 - A Space Odessy

The computer (HAL) predicts an imminent failure in a module only accessible by space-walk in order to get the crew out of the way.

Possibly by coincidence (or maybe not), take IBM and decrease each letter by 1.

Ha. I did Google it and read about HAL there but the penny didn't drop for me!

It has now!

:oops:

2001 - A Space Odessy

The computer (HAL) predicts an imminent failure in a module only accessible by space-walk in order to get the crew out of the way.

Possibly by coincidence (or maybe not), take IBM and decrease each letter by 1.

No coincidence - Arthur C Clarke got HAL by exactly that method.

One of many HAL quotes that the Hummy might aspire to????? (Substitute HAL for Hummy)

HAL: I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Back