Hard Disk directory problem.

hairy_mutley

I seem to have a problem with a directory on one of my HDRs. If I do anything with the [edit]/[cut] directory, things seem to hang. Specifically, if I telnet in and then "ls /media/My\ Video/[edit\]/\[cut\]/", the command doesn't complete, nor can I ctrl-C or ctrl-D, I have to abort the telnet session. Similarly I cannot remove the directory.
Realising this is part of magic folders, I have uninstalled that package, and deleted all other directories under [edit].
SMART indicates no problem and I have run fixdisk, which completes with no problems.

I thought that I had managed to delete it via the WebIf, but that was just because it had only moved it to [Deleted Items]!

I am keen to remove it, because I think that it may be the source of some other problems (slow navigation, problems with shutting down, intermittent web access).

Any suggestions?

Couldn't get the WebIf to work at all (just the initialising screen, sometimes), until I moved the [edit] directory back to My Video

It should be possible to delete the folders in question after uninstalling nicesplice magic folders. The folders will end up in the [Deleted Items] folder, if you have the undelete package installed, but deleting them from within that folder will remove them.

Problem solved... but for future reference, it seems that the directory must have had a LOT of files in it.
What follows would have been my next post... but turned into the solution. Posted here for posterity.

I was Googling Linux problems with ls hanging, some suggest a directory with a LOT of files in it.
So I tried some commands that they listed, but I am not sure about interpreting the results, although the response to the "rm *" does seem to support the idea.
Code:
humax2# cd /media/My Video/[edit\]/
humax2# ls -ld [cut\]/
drwxrwxrwx    5 root     root      12038144 Aug 15 22:12 [cut]/
humax2# cd [cut\]/
humax2# df -i .
Filesystem              Inodes      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1             29860704    150587  29710117   1% /media/drive1
humax2# pwd
/media/My Video/[edit]/[cut]
humax2# rm *
/bin/sh: rm: Argument list too long
humax2#

This may explain why the original attempts to "ls" hung (maybe it didn't, I just didn't wait long enough).
I am currently running
Code:
rm -rf [cut\]/
OK, that has just finished. Took over an hour.

Problem solved (but where did those files come from?)​

Back