Hard disk problem

Note I can telnet in successfully but if I do a 'stat' it says Status currently unavailable. I've tried the Humax hard disk test and it says everything is fine

You have given it a reboot/power cycle? (just for luck)
Ooh, great minds think alike. I've just tried that because I thought well the first time I powered it up it didn't have a formated hard disk present because it asked me if I wanted to format the empty disk, so maybe it needs to boot up with the hard disk already formated.

It responded to a simple move to standby, and then wait 30 seconds and get out of standby and turn on with the remote.

It is now seeing the hard disk and showing the yellow message about installing the WebIF interface, but yet again even with this new hard disk it is still saying '!! ERROR - No network connectivity to package repository !! '

It did briefly play silly buggers with the ip address, it temporarily moved from XXX.XXX.1.10 to XXX.XXX.1.129.

I'm not sure whether this is connected to Windows 10. Strangely before I attempted a manually update to the Anniversary update I never had a problem, but since then somethimes when I leave hibernation all of a sudden I get a go.microsoft link autmatically open which then shows up my Netgear 4 port Wifi to LAN switch's webpage WCN4004. Also when this happens I am unable to visit routerlogin.com as it won't go to the Netgear router page, but again the WCN4004 page. If I reboot it seems to go back to having the Netgear router show up.

Whats even weirder is when this happens the internet still works fine! I do have a slightly weird setup seeing as I'm using a Netgear Nighthawk which only provides WIFI, and then I use my old Netgear router to provide the ADSL connection. There is a special mode that the old router is in which causes it just to provide ADSL connections to the Nighthawk

Tell us the full IP address. It might be a clue as to what's wrong.
List the IP address, the Netmask, the Gateway address and the DNS address.
It did briefly play silly buggers with the ip address, it temporarily moved from XXX.XXX.1.10 to XXX.XXX.1.129.
Why? Are those addresses outside the DHCP range of your router.
I'm not sure whether this is connected to Windows 10.
The box does not 'connect to' Windows, it connects to your router and windows connects to the box or the box connects to the internet, both via the router obviously.
I'm using a Netgear Nighthawk which only provides WIFI, and then I use my old Netgear router to provide the ADSL connection.
Why do you do that?

Do you have a DHCP server running on both routers? You must only have it running on one.
Can you access the T2 box from your PC?
Can you access the internet from your PC at the same time?

Last edited:
The key test is whether you can access the TV Portal.

Why do you do that?
I have considered a configuration like that. Put the ADSL modem / router at the closest point to the incoming broadband connection, and move the WiFi router to a place in the house that gives best coverage.

I still ask why would you do that out of choice? Unless you have fibre to the house. Just put a twisted pair from the incoming broadband to the router and save on the lecky of running two routers. A pair from a bit of cat anything will do it.

I still ask why would you do that out of choice? Unless you have fibre to the house. Just put a twisted pair from the incoming broadband to the router and save on the lecky of running two routers. A pair from a bit of cat anything will do it.
Well I was having trouble with my SqueezeBox classic, in that over time it first started to fail to stream without breaks FLACs with really high bitrates then it moved onto FLACs that were of average bit rate. So I thought Ahh, I need a new router, I think that the WiFi channels had become saturated by the greater number of Wifi users over the years.

I was subscribed to PC Pro at the time and it recommended my router. I didn't realise that it didn't have an ADSL modem, but I found out there was a special webpage for my old Netgear DG834 router that allowed you to activate "Modem (Modem Only)" device mode. You then select Other (PPPoE)' under 'Internet Service Provider Name', and from that point on the DHCP server is disabled, and it just allows your Router to receive an ADSL signal.

The link to the article I used is as follows: http://marc.info/?l=pfsense-support&m=129272019312898&q=p6

Tell us the full IP address. It might be a clue as to what's wrong.
List the IP address, the Netmask, the Gateway address and the DNS address. Why? Are those addresses outside the DHCP range of your router.
I'm at work at the moment so I can't supply all the info, but yes it was 19.168.XXX.XXX for all the addresses. I think the gateway is 192.168.1.1, the router page is on 192.168.0.1
The box does not 'connect to' Windows, it connects to your router and windows connects to the box or the box connects to the internet, both via the router obviously.

Do you have a DHCP server running on both routers? You must only have it running on one.
Can you access the T2 box from your PC?
Can you access the internet from your PC at the same time?
Ah, I didn't realise that it doesn't connect to Windows, I think there was a firmware update just before the attempted Windows 10 update, it must have been that that started the silly buggers.

I've just received another firmware update for the router so hopefully its that that's causing my new strange IP problems.

My Humax is wired to the NETGEAR WNCE4004 N900 4 Port Smart TV, Video & Gaming Wi-Fi Adapter. I am able to access the Humax Portal and I'm able to telnet into the box. I remember last time I visited the Humax webpage after installing the web interface via USB, it did briefly actually connect to the package site, it said downloading, and then said that it was already installed (I had thought that the USB method failed when I visited the page again because I had expected some sort of message either on the box or the HDMI connection, which didn't show)

That risks reducing your broadband speed. You need your ADSL modem on as short a link to the exchange/street box as possible.

I don't think I understand what you are saying, how would I get any broadband without an ADSL modem? The second router doesn't have an ADSL modem in it at all, and I don't have fibre, and also there is no wired LAN type connection on the master socket.
That risks reducing your broadband speed. You need your ADSL modem on as short a link to the exchange/street box as possible.
Black Hole, are you talking about what Trev is saying, or my setup?

The master socket is in a dreadful place in my flat, I am on a corner and we have sloped roofs, and unfortunately for me the BT connection is just under the slope in my living room, so I am actually on an extension socket.

I don't think I understand what you are saying, how would I get any broadband without an ADSL modem? The second router doesn't have an ADSL modem in it at all, and I don't have fibre, and also there is no wired LAN type connection on the master socket.
That's the problem with replying before researching:oops:. I didn't appreciate that there was an ADSL problem with the other router.
Black Hole, are you talking about what Trev is saying, or my setup?
He was replying to my comment about using a twisted pair connection to extend the master socket to a 'remoter' modem as I have done. It seems that you have already done that with your extension socket. He rightly said about the possibility of reduced bandwith, but I have checked mine and there is no detectable difference at either end on my extension cable which is about 25 yards long. I am on a FTTC and an 'Up to 28Mb' connection which actually just produces a 37.25 down and 9.75 up link (tested as I type). My cable is twin twisted pair and foil screened from the master socket in an upstairs bedroom, up into the loft, across the diagopnal of the house then down the cavity into the diagonally opposite corner of the house. I couldn't have further apart if I had tried. The wifi up by the master socket isn't great, but that's a spare bedroom anyway.

This is the second person to have this. Is it a co-incidence or not?
I think both instances are of people who are, how shall we say, not quite as au fait with the networking as they need to be or how they think they are.
No you don't, as long as you use proper twisted pair cable. The signal comes hundreds or thousands of metres like this, so a bit more inside the house is not going to make any significant difference.
The problem comes when you used unbalanced 'phone extension' cables. Those flat things sold as such are not balanced and can kill your speed, especially if there's lots of interference around e.g. you've got a reasonably strong medium-wave radio transmitter not that far away (like wot I have - I can see all the transmitters on my ADSL spectrum, even as far away as Droitwich). Some phone lines are better balanced than others. My current one is slightly worse than the last one which corroded away somewhere that the BT Opensore muppet couldn't find.
My cable is twin twisted pair and foil screened from the master socket in an upstairs bedroom...
That is the key to it - the twist more than the screen.

No you don't, as long as you use proper twisted pair cable. The signal comes hundreds or thousands of metres like this, so a bit more inside the house is not going to make any significant difference.
Ha! So Super-Fast Broadband, that brings Internet by fibre to a local street cabinet and then the last few tens of metres by copper, isn't going to be compromised at all? Regardless, it must be best practice to minimise any potential increase in noise or cable discontinuities in the ADSL signal path in preference to the Ethernet signal path, however minimal the effect may be.

Regardless, it must be best practice to minimise any potential increase in noise or cable discontinuities in the ADSL signal path in preference to the Ethernet signal path, however minimal the effect may be.
It depends on the other considerations within the premises. The shortest route, whilst minimising such losses, does not always provide the best overall result. There may be no convenient power socket at the nearest point to the incoming cable for example, or a thousand and one other reasons.

... isn't going to be compromised at all?
prpr didn't say that.

Like I said on a different forum about something completely different, if you can't tell the difference than what does it matter. I'm with prpr, it is much more convenient for me to run an ADSL extension and have a bunch of short cat5 cables and the WiFi close to where I want it.
The screening was only because I already had a suitable length of twin TP screened cable sourced from the skip at a previous employment.

Back