Hard Drive Constantly running

timpars

The HDD on my FTP5000T runs constantly and is quite noisy. Is it possible to stop it when not actually recording or replaying?
I view tv through the box.

Not that I’ve come across. I also use the Humax for viewing the tv channels. The tv itself is just a monitor. The disk can be very noisy. It often settles down a bit after a while providing nothing is recording and you don’t keep changing channels.

I very much doubt you can do anything about it, and if you did find a way to stop it you would no longer have access to live pause (etc).

If the HDD is that noisy, I suspect it is faulty - unless you have very sensitive hearing so the TV doesn't drown it out. If the 5000T is standing on a resonant surface, that won't help either.

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/vibration-operating-hum-is-this-normal.9251/
https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/solving-noisy-hdr-2000t.9270/

There has also been discussion about replacing HDDs with SSDs - there used to be an issue with longevity, but the general opinion seems to be that modern SSDs have adequate ratings for this kind of use.

Last edited:
The HDD on my FTP5000T runs constantly and is quite noisy. Is it possible to stop it when not actually recording or replaying?
The strategy that Humax adopt in the design of all their PVRs is to have the hard drive running when the box is out of standby to allow live TV to be paused.

There has also been discussion about replacing HHDs with SSDs - there used to be an issue with longevity, but the general opinion seems to be that modern SSDs have adequate ratings for this kind of use.
I agree with you with the caveat that it needs to be a decent quality SSD; the critical parameter is the lifetime terrabytes written value (TBW).

Hard surfaces cause the FTP5000T to resonate, creating a humming noise. If you lift the unit up the noise will stop, therefore isolating the unit from a hard surface could well solve the problem. It did for me.

Hard surfaces cause the FTP5000T to resonate, creating a humming noise. If you lift the unit up the noise will stop, therefore isolating the unit from a hard surface could well solve the problem. It did for me.
Mine made noises much louder than "humming". (Poor build quality. Plastic casing etc.) But the solution is as you say.
This could be the noise described by timpars but the disk access can also be very noisy. Isolating the unit may deaden that sound as well, but I can still hear mine chuntering away.

Back