Hard Drive Error

ntm1275

Can anyone explain what the two lines in red below mean from the HD Diagnostic in WebIF
hderrors.jpg

It means there are read errors on a part of the disk. This may cause dropouts when playing recordings.

In order to fix the problem you should install CF version 2.15 (if not already installed). Connect to the box using a telnet client and select option 1 from the menu. The box will then reboot into maintenance mode. Telnet into the box again and select option 1 fix-disk. This should fix the problem.

http://wiki.hummypkg.org.uk/wiki/Maintenance_Mode

@xyz123

I've followed your instructions and got this:-
Code:
Running /bin/fix-disk
Custom firmware version 2.15

Checking disk sdb

Using superblock 0 on sdb3
Using superblock 0 on sdb1
Using superblock 0 on sdb2

Unmounted /dev/sdb1
Unmounted /dev/sdb2
Unmounted /dev/sdb3

Pending sector error(s) found
Running disk self test
Error - pending sectors but LBA not found

Press return to continue:

but the red areas in my first post are still there

The full instruction in the wiki for fix-disk say that if
If the web interface hard disk diagnostic highlights attributes 197 or 198 in red, then the additional fix-disk test/repair should run
This additional test/repair does not appear to run and it only runs the disk self test which counts down from 56 to 0 (says it's 'waiting') and the whole process only takes about a minute to complete

From the 'code' above it says "Error - pending sectors but LBA not found"

Am I doing it correctly?

The version of fix-disk included with CF version 2.15 will only use the results from a short disk self-test. In this case it appears that a long test is required to find the problem area.

You can either install the fix-disk package (version 0.2) which is currently available or alternatively wait for CF 2.16 to be released. Either way you can just run it as before (note that it can take about 2 hours to run a long test).

Alternatively see HERE (click).
Much of that thread is out of date information. In particular, if you try to run a long test and then run the CF 2.15 version of fix-disk, it will ignore the results of the long test and then perform its own short test. This will not necessarily find the location of the error.

These bugs were fixed in the latest version of fix-disk.

No need to wait for 2.16. The updated fix-disk package has been available for a while. As long as the disk is still behaving reasonably well, it can be installed to bring the disk checking up-to-date.

Posted on the move; please excuse any brevity.

Installed Fix-Disk 0.2 and I'm currently running the long test

I'll report back in a couple of hours when it's finished

Just a quick question:-
Now that the test is running, will it continue to run on the Humax if I close the telnet session and shut down my computer

No need to wait for 2.16. The updated fix-disk package has been available for a while. As long as the disk is still behaving reasonably well, it can be installed to bring the disk checking up-to-date.
My aim in the QSG is to offer disk recovery for previously non-CF users looking for a solution to a disk problem. I take it the new fix-disk would not run without further installation - will 2.16 incorporate it in the base firmware?

Just a quick question:-
Now that the test is running, will it continue to run on the Humax if I close the telnet session and shut down my computer
Closing the telnet session will also close the fix-disk session so I would recommend leaving it open for the duration of the tests. If you do close the session then fix-disk would have to be run again so it would take a further two or more hours.

My aim in the QSG is to offer disk recovery for previously non-CF users looking for a solution to a disk problem. I take it the new fix-disk would not run without further installation - will 2.16 incorporate it in the base firmware?
AFAIK the plan is for the each new version of CF to include the latest version of fix-disk. If (as in this case) a user needs a newer version then it can be installed from the package management system assuming the disk is not read only.

Custom Firmware 2.16 has now hit the streets, and includes the upgraded disk testing and fix-disk. Disk problems will be much easier to deal with. See HERE (click).

Back