Hard Drive Failing

skind56

Disk realloc sector count is: 608 (was 58)
I've ran fix-disk, in maintenance mode, but the realloc count (as can be seen above) has gone up and the problems have increased.
I've decrypted and backed up my recordings to PC.
I've ordered a new drive - Seagate ST1000VM002 Pipeline HD 1 TB

I would like some help, or where I should look, with the replacement:
  1. Assuming straight swap with drive but anything I need to look out for?
  2. After inserting the new drive I should be asked to format the drive?
  3. I then update firmware with HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.12_mod_3.10.zip, is this both Humax and Custom firmware?
  4. Anything else I need to do before restoring recordings?
Many thanks for any help.
Steve

1. Not really
2. Yes
3. No need
4. No
5. Reinstall all your packages and setup

The same way as you did initially, unless you want to try and be clever and copy everything across from the old drive.

Whilst you have your old drive installed you could use opkg list-installed to get a list of all your installed packages though many of them will be automatically reinstalled when you install the web-if on the new drive.

You might want to copy .conf and .db files from /mod/etc/ to your new drive to preserve package settings and tvdiary history, also /mod/monitor/monitor.db for sysmon history.

Whilst you have your old drive installed you could use opkg list-installed to get a list of all your installed packages though many of them will be automatically reinstalled when you install the web-if on the new drive.

You might want to copy .conf and .db files from /mod/etc/ to your new drive to preserve package settings and tvdiary history, also /mod/monitor/monitor.db for sysmon history.

Thanks MymsMan.
I have Windows 10 and Telnet but how do I copy the files from the Humax to my PC?

Steve

Not with Telnet!

Install the betaftpd package (you must disable the native Humax FTP server), log in to FTP as root, and then you have access to the whole file system to move/copy files around.

I succeeded in replacing my drive and all is now working.
Thanks Black Hole, but I just made a note of my settings/packages/etc and set them up again.

Unfortunately I missed some recordings and wondered how to get them off the old drive. I tried connecting it to my PC but cannot get access to it. Is the only way to use a USB adapter connecting it to the Humax USB port?

I just made a note of my settings/packages/etc and set them up again.
That's my preferred option.

Unfortunately I missed some recordings and wondered how to get them off the old drive. I tried connecting it to my PC but cannot get access to it. Is the only way to use a USB adapter connecting it to the Humax USB port?
Windows cannot read the Ext3 format without help. If you really want to do it that way see the information in Things Every... (click) section 12. Be very sure to copy the whole set of files for each recoding (.ts, .hmt, .nts, .thm - the thm file might not be present), because without the .htm file an encrypted .ts file (ie the actual recording) won't play.

Back