Hard Drive failure rates

It confirms what I heard some years ago which was that a hard disk could be expected to run about 2-3 years in a data-centre duty (24/7). These results look a bit better (3 years +) but that's to be expected as manufacturing improves constantly.
However, the average PC or HDR only runs maybe 4-8 hours a day, so the life expectancy should be nearer 9 years, though obviously 'infant mortality' and random failures can catch any disk, any time, so a warranty is always nice.

the average PC or HDR only runs maybe 4-8 hours a day, so the life expectancy should be nearer 9 years, though obviously 'infant mortality' and random failures can catch any disk, any time, so a warranty is always nice.

The 18 month infant failure rate is interesting, as some drives offer a free 2 year Warranty. (Not much good if you lose your data, though.)

I don't run a desktop any more, so my drives are running 24/7 in servers. My laptop SSD is backed up to these, also media files.

Interesting that the stop/start "green" drives are so awful.

So, I wonder what the current wisdom is for replacement drives for the various Humax boxes? It would be good to have all the information in one place.

I'm sure this came up before, but damned if I can find it.

It is asked often, with suggestions, but by the time you read the posts the recommended drives are no longer available.

I read online about various people trying to put a bigger drive in a Youview box, but finding that the size of drive was hard coded in the software! :D

There are things like whether you still need a consumer drive. It used to be said that error correction made the streaming to HDD go wrong. Now we hear rumours that the T2 can format larger drives than 1Tb. (Confirmed?)

Do large drives with lots of recordings make the box run or start slower, or make the media scan slow?

I have boxes with pictures/music partitions that I never use. Can we dispense with them entirely? Or just reduce their size?

I meant the stats for drive failures by manufacturer.

Ah, not just anecdotal. There is lots of anecdotal discussion.

Google did a study some years ago and concluded that there were good and bad models rather than manufacturers. Given that model numbers change hourly, that makes choosing a drive extra difficult. By the time a drive is found to be reliable, it is no longer in production and has been replaced by an unreliable "upgrade."

Back