Hard drive format never completes

dinsdale

I have just acquired a 1TB HDR-FOX T2 that told me when first switched on that the HDD needed formatting before it could be used. I set this process going yesterday evening and the screen was still showing "Processing" 3 hours later when I went to bed. I gave up and turned it off at that point, but it's showing every sign that it is going to sit there at just the same point having started the process again this evening.

I'm sure it shouldn't take this long to format the drive, but it would be helpful if someone could confirm how long it should take to format a 1TB drive. Also, is there anything I can do (e.g. in the maintenance menu) to try and identify the problem or get around it? The "HDD Test" option gives error 8 and says the drive needs formatting to resolve it. I'm not going to do anything (like taking the drive out and trying in a PC) that would hamper my chance of getting a refund from the seller.

Secondly, this unit came with a remote control that I don't think is the original, because it has a Youview button, although it seems to work. I think it's the one from the DTR-T1000. Are there any features of the HDR-FOX T2 that I won't be able to access if I stick with this remote?

It should only takes seconds to format the disk - I forget how many, but not very many. If it's taking hours, then there's something seriously wrong with the disk.
Your only option would seem to be to install the Customised Firmware, then telnet in to the box and see if fix-disk will fix it. It might be useful to see the SMART stats. as well to confirm how ill or otherwise the disk is.
(You can return it to standard firmware and remove all traces of customisation after doing this.)

If you don't want to do any of that, then you already know what your only other option is.

this unit came with a remote control that I don't think is the original, because it has a Youview button, although it seems to work. I think it's the one from the DTR-T1000. Are there any features of the HDR-FOX T2 that I won't be able to access if I stick with this remote?
I don't have a Youview remote to try but looking at pictures of the DTR-T1000 remote ...
  • The HDR-FOX T2's MENU has no obvious visible button allocation on the common Humax Youview remote. Perhaps the 'search' or 'help' button will act as the MENU button.
  • The HDR-FOX T2's OPT+ has no obvious button allocation on the common Humax Youview remote. Among other things that the OPT+ is used for are Delete, Sort, Lock, Unlock, Move/Copy Rename and New Folder. Some of these you can work round some you cannot. Perhaps the 'search' or 'help' button will act as the OPT+ button.
  • The HDR-FOX T2's Media has no obvious button allocation on the common Humax Youview remote. It may be akward or impossible to access recordings. Perhaps the 'search' or 'help' button will act as the Media button.
  • I'm guessing the Youview button will access the Humax Portal, but perhaps it wont.
It is not looking good.
Also missing are:
  • The original remote can also operate DVD and Audio equipment.
  • TV/Radio (For an alternative easy switch between radio and TV channels)