Hard drive swap from one box to another?

surefire

Hi chaps
Just purchased a second hand hdr fox t2 as a standby and was wondering if my original fox gave up the ghost with a pcb problem, could I take out the hard drive and place it in the newest one and expect al the recorded programs to play ok. Would the encryption of my original box allow viewing of its hard drive contents on another box?

Thanks

Hi chaps
Just purchased a second hand hdr fox t2 as a standby and was wondering if my original fox gave up the ghost with a pcb problem, could I take out the hard drive and place it in the newest one and expect al the recorded programs to play ok. Would the encryption of my original box allow viewing of its hard drive contents on another box?

Thanks
No, Encryption is tied to the mother board
You would be best to use the customised firmware to decrypt all recording as they are made to allow the disk to be moved

Yes that kinda what I thought. I read somewhere that a decryption package can be run on the saved recordings, and this would allow the drive to be played in another machine, but if the drive is pretty full it takes a very long time. Am I correct in thinking this.

Last edited:
It is fairly fast around 2:30 / Gb but if you have a lot of data then it will take a while and since the originals are put in the dustbin you need some spare space to decrypt into.
That is why it is best to set it up to decrypt new recordings as they are made and do the backlog in batches rather than all at once.

My machine reports 286 gig available from a 1Tb drive, will this be enough do you think? If so do you know the name of the package so I can install it and have a go.

My machine reports 286 gig available from a 1Tb drive, will this be enough do you think?
Not to do them all at once, no.

What I would do is enable recursive decryption on everything via the OPT+ button in the web interface browser.

Screenshot%202017-02-11%2019.02.05.png

Go and look in the queue (via Main Menu, Diagnostics, View Queue) and within 20 minutes everything should appear in the list there.
You can monitor progress there (it refreshes every 30 seconds).
Select All (using the button at the bottom of the list)
Hold (using the button at the bottom of the list)

Once they're all held, you can select batches of them and use the 'Re-submit' button to schedule them for decryption.
Keep an eye on disk space and clear out the dustbin/webif_autodecrypt/ folder from time to time.

Thanks for that af123. Just one issue: I'm struggling to find view queue in the diagnostics menu. Any pointers

Thanks

Just another quick one: where/ how will I find the dustbin/webif_auto decrypt folder?
That's only going to be there if you have undelete installed. The dustbin itself will appear in the web interface media browser page as a folder with a dustbin on it. The default name is "[Deleted Items]"

Screenshot%202017-02-11%2021.14.36.png
Screenshot%202017-02-11%2021.14.36.png

Inside that folder there will be another called webif_autodecrypt

If you don't have undelete installed then you probably should for the longer term but at least the disk won't fill up during the initial decryption.

Hi chaps

Thanks
For background, see Things Every... (click) section 5 (and click through from there).

You don't need to go to all that trouble with monitoring disk space etc - whether undelete is installed or not, simply install auto-unprotect (a necessary first step if you have HiDef recordings), and set "recursive auto-decrypt" on the My Video folder... then just leave it to chug away in the background for however long it takes. You can carry on using it as normal in the mean time.

Last edited:
You don't need to go to all that trouble with monitoring disk space etc - whether undelete is installed or not, simply install auto-unprotect (a necessary first step if you have HiDef recordings), and set "recursive auto-decrypt" on the My Video folder... then just leave it to chug away in the background for however long it takes. You can carry on using it as normal in the mean time.
Once the disk is nearly full (only 1GiB remaining), automatic processing will pause until there is sufficient disk space again. It will give you a window to get in and clear out the bin.
(FWIW: The next version of the webif package will include an option to stop putting backup files in the bin from decryption and shrink operations for those willing to accept the small risk.)

Thanks for everyone's help and armed with this information I'm sure I will be able to achieve a hard drive swap in the future.

will include an option to stop putting backup files in the bin from decryption and shrink operations for those willing to accept the small risk.
Will these be separate options ? (ie, an option for decrypt only, shrink only or both)

Back