Hard drive upgrade

Jumpin

Hummy formated my 500 gig Seagate drive but only reports it having a capacity of about 131 Gb I have checked the drive with Seatools and Testdisk and there is no apparent fault with the drive?

Hummy formated my 500 gig Seagate drive but only reports it having a capacity of about 131 Gb I have checked the drive with Seatools and Testdisk and there is no apparent fault with the drive?
It should format the drive to the full capacity. What model of drive is this? I don't suppose it has a jumper set to limit the capacity to 128GB which was common at one time because of a Windows limit (or was it the BIOS)?

It should format the drive to the full capacity. What model of drive is this? I don't suppose it has a jumper set to limit the capacity to 128GB which was common at one time because of a Windows limit (or was it the BIOS)?
Its a seagate baracuda 7200.11 model ST350082 0AS (sata disk with IDE/sata converter as per your own guide Martin) only jumper set is to reduce transfer rate from 3Gb/s down to 1.5Gb/s not reduced as it seems to work fine.

Its a seagate baracuda 7200.11 model ST350082 0AS (sata disk with IDE/sata converter as per your own guide Martin) only jumper set is to reduce transfer rate from 3Gb/s down to 1.5Gb/s not reduced as it seems to work fine.
So what make and model of IDE to SATA converter are you using?

So what make and model of IDE to SATA converter are you using?
?? Ebay chinese generic. Full pictures and part numbers here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130604157391?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 following your request for this info I tried a different converter which does not work at all, with or without the transfer rate reduced. that one can be found here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300577496713?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

After three and a half years reliable service my 9200 has started to display the first signs of trouble. Last night it lost all previously recorded programs and when asked to record a new program, did so, then when I pressed the "Information" button on the remote, it showed details of one of the missing programs! Is this the start of a failing Disk?

My question is, can some kind soul please let me know what is the current best Disk (and converter) that I need to get in order to fix the problem? (it seems a shame that Humax do not offer a spares service to supply these items).

Thanks for any answers ..... Michael

After three and a half years reliable service my 9200 has started to display the first signs of trouble. Last night it lost all previously recorded programs and when asked to record a new program, did so, then when I pressed the "Information" button on the remote, it showed details of one of the missing programs! Is this the start of a failing Disk?
It doesn't necessarily mean the hard dive is failing. The most likely problem is that the file system has become corrupt. This can be fixed by formatting the drive from the HDD control menu. If the problem recurs in a short space of time then it would tend to indicate that the hard drive is failing.

My question is, can some kind soul please let me know what is the current best Disk (and converter) that I need to get in order to fix the problem? (it seems a shame that Humax do not offer a spares service to supply these items).
If you want a larger drive then the only feasible solution is to get an IDE to SATA converter and a SATA ConsumerElectronics (CE) drive. I haven't done this recently so can't comment on reasonable choices. If you are happy with the standard 160GB capacity the there are several sources of good condition second hand drives which is the easiest,most reliable and cheapest solution.

Martin

Thank you very much for your quick answers. I am a little more reasured now than I was last night (I was imagining that the disk was about to collapse).

Can I ask you if you know the cause and possible preventative measures for file system corruption? The machine was being operated normally and has the v23 software installed. We use it in a very simple manner, just to record programs at 'difficult' times, to play them back and then (usually) delete them.

I have found a supplier of 'new' 160gb IDE drives on Ebay (pulled from new and supposedly unused PCs) and as these only cost about £25 inluding postage, I think that a purchace is in the offing.

Michael

Can I ask you if you know the cause and possible preventative measures for file system corruption? The machine was being operated normally and has the v23 software installed. We use it in a very simple manner, just to record programs at 'difficult' times, to play them back and then (usually) delete them.
there are lots of theories but no hard evidence. Humax did fix a couple of problems some time ago but it is a fact of life that the file system will go corrupt very occasionally.
I have found a supplier of 'new' 160gb IDE drives on Ebay (pulled from new and supposedly unused PCs) and as these only cost about £25 inluding postage, I think that a purchace is in the offing.
Are these Seagate DB35 series ACE drives? Personally in your shoes I wouldn't buy a drive until you have seen the results of formatting the existing drive;my guess is that it will probably be fine.

They are the items at:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160GB-IDE...K_Computing_HardDrives_RL&hash=item415f815412 and also at:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ST3160215...K_Computing_HardDrives_RL&hash=item4161fe032b

We are away now for a week and have left the Hummy to record about 15 programs, so it will be interesting to see what it does when left on its own. To be honest, two of my reasons for suggesting that it would a good idea to buy a disk now are a) they are available and cheap and b) if my existing disk lasts a bit longer; will they still be available? (for £25, I can aford to buy one 'just in case' as a form of insurance).

To be honest, two of my reasons for suggesting that it would a good idea to buy a disk now are a) they are available and cheap and b) if my existing disk lasts a bit longer; will they still be available? (for £25, I can aford to buy one 'just in case' as a form of insurance).
Fair enough. I would go for the second of the two drives you linked to as it is a more recent model.

Since having my original post here hijacked I never did resolve the problem so my hard drives are still not registered to their full capacities (I have four 9200t's) if we assume that the issue might be my choice of IDE/sata converter can somebody please post me a link here of a model that they know definitely works please.

Back