Hard drive won’t turn off

Not sure what I’ve done but when switching off with the red button, the hard drive which used to turn off after 30 seconds now wont turn off!
Anyone know where i can begin to look please ( i have the latest custom firmware installed)

Sounds like it is in the half awake mode (which is normal 15 minutes before a scheduled recording if using accurate recording). First thing to try would simply be to put the box into standby, wait a minute for the box to finish writing to the hard drive and then turn off the mains power for 20 seconds. If that doesn't fix it then come back and you will get other suggestions.

The power cycle "solution" might prove to be temporary. If, for example, a corrupted file is preventing the pre-standby housekeeping from being completed, the same situation is likely to arise again.

Interesting, I don't recall a hard reset being a fix for that.
I've used it a few times, but it's not often - maybe once very 6...12 months, if that.
The 'problem' has never returned in any short time as you'd expect with an underlying fault. I've just put it in the 'software that's a bit fragile' box.

This has started happening to me recently and it always seems to be because the next scheduled recording is in the past. It has somehow reappeared despite already having been completed.

Today, for instance, I noticed the hard disk was staying active when I switched it to standby, as if it was waiting to start an imminent recording. When I switched it on and looked at the schedule, the next scheduled recording was last night's Only Connect, which had already been recorded, watched and deleted. I had to delete the series schedule and add it again from next week's episode to get the box to go into full standby.

This has happened a few times lately with different recordings and I'm sure it only started recently. What could have changed?

When I switched it on and looked at the schedule, the next scheduled recording was last night's Only Connect
There was another thread about this in the last week or so - I see it a few times a year maybe.
Normally it sorts itself out soon enough.

However, if the 'sorting out' involves the system eventually finding the relevant file in the recordings, then
which had already been ... deleted.
I wonder if this will prevent it from sorting it out and result in more chaos?

Sorry, I thought this was about hard drives not turning off in standby. So far as I know this is the only thread currently discussing that.

Sorry, I thought this was about hard drives not turning off in standby. So far as I know this is the only thread currently discussing that.
Yeah, it probably is.
One of the symptoms reported by AJones, which I quoted and was the 'this' reference, is the one in that other thread and I was merely pointing out the possibility that it could lead to the half-awake state.

I'll go away now.

However, if the 'sorting out' involves the system eventually finding the relevant file in the recordings, then

I wonder if this will prevent it from sorting it out and result in more chaos?

I hadn't considered that. I'm in the habit of deleting recordings as soon as I've watched them, perhaps I'll try leaving them for a day or so before I delete them and see if this problem reoccurs.

I'm aware that corrupt recording files can cause problems like this, but in this case there were no recordings on the hard disk at all at the time.

One of the symptoms reported by AJones is the one in that other thread and I was merely pointing out the possibility that it could lead to the half-awake state.
Fair enough.

I'm aware that corrupt recording files can cause problems like this, but in this case there were no recordings on the hard disk at all at the time.
Have you used system tools to check whether there are any left-over sidecar files? The standard tools (on-screen media list, or even the WebIF media browser) won't necessarily show them up.

The "My Video" folder appears empty if I look at it through FTP, which normally shows all the individual files. Is there anything that might have missed?

Back