Hardware and/or webif failure

I woke up this morning to find both HDR boxes in a crash-reboot loop. After trying disconnecting cables etc to no effect, I installed system flush which allowed them to start, at the cost of losing settings. The autobackup log showed that a backup was made on each box withjin 1 second of each other at about 2am. I was able to access most webif services and settings, though some packages (fan, redring,etc) needed to be removed and reinstalled before they worked again.

Restoring favourites and schedule from a backup made yesterday failed. I redid favourites manually and began to re-enter the schedule manually. All seemed OK at first apart from frequent prompts to reboot system. But when I tried to change the name of a series link entry it got very weird: the browser page reloaded as usual but showed both the original entry and the amended one.

I blundered around trying to fix this to no effect. At some point, a reboot led to the dreaded "install the webif" but attempts to do so failed. I telnetted into the box, both from that screen and with kitty, and tried fixweb from the menu. It failed:

Code:
 Please select option: fixweb                                                                                                                                       
killall: lighttpd: no process killed                                                                                                                               
2020-07-09 11:37:17: (network.c.309) can't bind to socket: 0.0.0.0:80 Address already in use                                                                       
No packages removed.                                                                                                                                               
Installing webif (1.4.8-9) to root...                                                                                                                             
Collected errors:                                                                                                                                                 
 * opkg_download_pkg: Package webif is not available from any configured src.                                                                                     
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download webif. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?                                                                             
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package webif.

I tried the webif option to reinstall the interface with a similar failure:

Code:
Please select option: webif
Are you sure you wish to install the initial web interface [Y/N] y

Connection to online repository at http://hpkg.tv successful!

Updating package list...

Downloading http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/Packages.gz.
Inflating http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /mod/var/opkg/base.
Installing webif (1.4.8-9) to root...
Collected errors:
 * opkg_download_pkg: Package webif is not available from any configured src.
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download webif. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package webif.

Error installing packages. Please try again.

Press return to continue:

Essentially the same outcome happened on both boxes. What can I do to restore the boxes? The most drastic option is RMA mode followed by reinstalling native Humax firmware followed by latest customised firmware then reinstalling packages and setting options. Is there a less laborious shortcut?

The thread referenced above is long and convoluted

The actual fix is in this post

I had already found that and it worked fairly well. I was able to access the webif again but it needed a lot of work to get things right. For example, the Settings menu initially had the first seven items, which I assume are added by the base webif. To get the entries for installed packages, I had to uninstall then reinstall each package, dealing with dependencies along the way. Because both boxes crashed, I didn't have one to act as a template for the other, so it all took a lot of time.

As far as I can tell, I've got most things back to normal, apart from Sysmon on one of the boxes. It opens but displays a "Loading" message indefinitely. Related packages Tempmon and Fan are working normally. Any ideas?

Below is the list of Settings entries. Is there anything obviously missing?

Code:
General Settings
Auto-Processing Settings
TheTVDB Integration Settings
Web Interface Settings
EPG Settings
Network Settings
Advanced Settings
Settings for auto-update package
Settings for boot-settings package
Settings for chaseget package
Settings for detectads package
Settings for disable-ota package
Settings for dlna-filter package
Settings for dlna-servername package
Settings for fan package
Settings for foxlink package
Settings for multimode package
Settings for newk package
Settings for redring package
Settings for screensaver package
Settings for tempmon package
Settings for tunefix package
Settings for undelete package

Below is the list of Settings entries. Is there anything obviously missing?
The constellation depends on what packages you thought you had installed. After my problems, I found a number of packages had to be reinstated separately, eg: webshell, virtual-disk2, undelete. The suspicion is anything which installs in Flash rather than on HDD.

I suspect the sysmon log has become corrupted. Try deleting it (/mod/monitor/monitor.db)

Unfortunately it didn't help. I've also since discovered that the ir package wasn't installed on both boxes, and attempts to reinstall it produce the
"* opkg_download_pkg: Package ir is not available from any configured src." error message.

This might have something to do with the machinations going on in the ir thread - it would be a remarkable coincidence if not.

Back