haunted

hdr-mark

I was fiddling around with an init.d boot-up script to automatically power on and select the correct input on my Yamaha AV receiver which is nearly working — works perfectly from the command line but not yet in the boot process.

Whilst doing this, I was looking at the /sbin/display executable that displays its first argument on the front panel display. I was ssh'd in to my Humax remotely from work, and ran /sbin/display --help to see if it had any other options. No response, so I gave up on that and moved on to other things.

Later, my daughter got home from school to find the Humax display reading "--help". Spooked her out a lot :-D

The only thing to add is that it also supports setting the display on the HD model if you prefix the string with a $ sign
# display '$help'​
Obviously limited to just four characters but if you include a . 'or : in the string somewhere then it will light the appropriate middle segments too.

Thanks — wasn't looking for help specifically as I'd figured it out, it's unrelated to my current script issue.

Just thought it funny that it displayed the "--help" and the reaction that caused…

Next you could try "Do Homework!" as the message
I was thinking along the same lines, with "Time For Bed" possibly flashing for a few minutes before a switch to stand-by, may-be a bit big brother though :)
BTW
I have also noticed some other 'features', If the Humax needs to update the display i.e. following a channel change, this will override your message, also if the display is scrolling the command won't be executed

Last edited:
The only thing to add is that it also supports setting the display on the HD model if you prefix the string with a $ sign
# display '$help'​
Obviously limited to just four characters but if you include a . 'or : in the string somewhere then it will light the appropriate middle segments too.
Why does display '$3456' turn on the '.' then?
In fact, the first two characters can be anything (as far as I've tried) and it still does it.

3456 gives 1 dot
34.56 gives 1 dot
34:56 gives 2 dots

I'm not sure who's more dotty now.

'$56' displays 56 and the top dot.
'$ 56' displays the bottom dot and 56. (2 spaces there, damn this stupid forum software)
Not exactly sure what any of this is any use for though :D

I've only used lcd displays (for PIC based designs) but if the controller for this is
anything like the cheap controlers I've seen from china you may want to be careful
about poking data at it - if you manage to hit the right sequence you could bork the display.

Back