Have I bricked my box?

mr-b

Hi

I've just acquired a Foxsat-hdr so decided to flash it with the latest custom firmware. The LCD did a lot of counting up with R and P prefixes then said "END" but after I pressed the Standby button nothing happened apart from the front panel LED went dim.
I power cycled the box, but the LCD was blank and nothing was on the TV.
I tried to flash with the USB stick in again, the R and P numbers counted up and it said END but there was no change from the above.

Can it be revived?

That behaviour usually means that the hard disk has problems. Try disconnecting it and seeing if it boots then, otherwise try a few more times as it might spring into life. It's unlikely to be the firmware update since that's check-summed end-to-end.

Thanks - I actually found my own post on another av site from a few years back with this box and had completely forgotten as it's been in storage since - doh!

The potential issue I found then is that the box is on Loader 7.52 which appears to have issues with the custom firmware.
So I just flashed firmware 1.00.21 from humaxonline and thankfully it now boots ok!
But the the loader is still marked as 7.52.

Now I'm trying to upgrade the loader to 7.54 via the above link but it doesn't appear to be flashing ... I'm guessing that life happened then and it went into storage when I got to this point.

I'm guessing that life happened then and it went into storage when I got to this point.
The Wine of Life keeps oozing drop by drop,
The Leaves of Life keep falling one by one

The potential issue I found then is that the box is on Loader 7.52 which appears to have issues with the custom firmware.
Ah, I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the information. What's happening when you try and flash the updated loader?

Update: I managed to flash the loader from 7.52 to 7.54 although it took a while faffing about with various USB sticks and renaming .hdf files. Strangely a 1 GB FAT one didn't work but a Sony 4GB one did the trick and then the planets aligned and the LCD indicated flashing was occurring. As the loader is 500k it didn't take long. After a restart the menu showed the loader had been updated.

But then after that I was *still* unable to flash the Custom Firmware! But eventually something happened to align the planets again (maybe unplugging the ethernet cable?) and it flashed. I connected to it via the web and installed the web UI. But after a restart everything was blank again with no boot. :-(

So I unplugged the drive and after a restart the system booted fine! You were right about the drive! :)
(Hooked up to my PC, HD Sentinel reported 9% health with spin up and bad sector issues)
So maybe it was nothing to do with the loader after all but the drive failing.

I swapped in a 250GB drive, and the system prompted me to format it. Everything seemed OK until I checked the disk status and it prompted me to format again. It completes but both the Video and Music partitions show 0GB free. If I connect to the web UI, it resets the connection, presumably as there's no storage.
After a reboot it then seems to partition and format the drive properly this time and now it reports 217.4GB & 26.3GB partitions.
Got there eventually!

So I unplugged the drive and after a restart the system booted fine!......So maybe it was nothing to do with the loader after all but the drive failing.
Just like what was suggested by the expert in post #2?:disagree::D

Just like what was suggested by the expert in post #2?:disagree::D
Erm, yes your quote somehow stripped my comment "You were right about the drive!"[sigh]

However there may indeed have been an issue with the loader as I'm sure it didn't show Custom Firmware on the LCD before I updated the loader.
That along with all the different usb stick juggling means that sometimes you don't see the wood for the trees!

My Fox T2 was easy to update by comparison but maybe I just got unlucky this time.

Yes, I understand that, but you seem to have wandered 'off piste' with firmware and loaders before trying what the 'not an expert' on Foxsats suggested if the order of stuff was done in the order of your post info. That was my best shot at a joke.:frantic:

Or to put it another way.
Motorist: "My car won't start. Please help."
The AA (within 15 mins minutes)"Have you checked the battery?"
Motorist:(ignoring comment by AA) "I will just check the tyre pressures and see if the windscreen fluid is OK":D

There was a letter in the Telegraph motoring supplement's agony column the other week, saying something like "my xxx (some car, whatever) just stopped. What could be the problem?"

Check the tyre pressures then and a few other irrelevant things then have a look at the fuel gauge.:roflmao:

Back