Closed Poll Have you had problems recording the new HD channels?

Problems recording the new HD channels: which transmitter? Reply if not listed

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have been concerned it is just coincidence, because there is no proposed mechanism to explain the effect.

Bought a new (2nd) HDR Fox T2 last week.
Upgraded to 2.21/1.03.06 etc.
On Saturday both BBC4HD recordings of Bridge II failed (0 length).
On Sunday, I tuned to BBC4HD, watched for few minutes, recorded for 5 minutes, etc.. As per advice.
Set recording for Sunday evening!

I don't have BBC4 HD but I wonder when you bought the box and set it up (i.e. did the channel search) was BBC4 HD broadcasting at the time of the channel search/installation.

I have been able to cure this problem on CBBC HD by watching CBBC HD live (instant recording is not required). Subsequent recordings have been o.k.

I then was able to reproduce the CBBC HD problem by doing an retune of the HD MUX when CBBC HD has finished broadcasting. (BBC3 HD records fine each time but during these retunes BBC3 HD had been broadcasting).

I rescaned last night and today first thing two failed CBBC HD recordings , I switched on the box let CBBC HD play live for 10-15 minutes and again now recordings are OK on CBBC HHD.

I have retuned now (BBC3 HD) off air to see if BBC3 recordings tonight will fail.

Sorry, misinformation on my part, I mistakenly used Channel 4HD not BBC4HD for the initialisation. Should have clicked that it was Sunday Afternoon so no transmission.

SORRY. I will retest properly this evening.

I will also EDIT original entry to clarify this.

Once you "cured" the problem why so many people keep retuning, thus reintroducing the problem, it baffles me.

@mihaid..... I think it's because they are interested in finding out why it's happening.

Humax seem to be taking their time producing a reason and/or a fix though!

Retuning when one service is off air seems to be the problem.

I retuned when CBBC HD was off air and BBC3 was broadcasting.
BBC3 HD recordings no problems.
CBBC HD recordings all failed until I viewed CBBC HD live.

Then I retuned when CBBC HD was transmitting and BBC3 HD was of air.
CBBC HD recordings no problem.
BBC3 HD recordings failed with Osec duration.

Out of interest a recording on BBC3 HD is currently in progress (single recording) and unlike failed series linked recordings in progress, does not appear in the media list of the HDR until the recording finishes. (I can see it in the root file using the cf webif but as it is not on the media list on the HDR I can't stop it until its scheduled finish).

Bought a new (2nd) HDR Fox T2 last week.
Upgraded to 2.21/1.03.06 etc.
On Saturday both BBC4HD recordings of Bridge II failed (0 length).
On Sunday, I tuned to BBC4HD, watched for few minutes, recorded for 5 minutes, etc.. As per advice.
Set recording for Sunday evening (Blondie - what else!:)). That recording ALSO FAILED (0 length).
All timed recordings are via AP.
Blondie was manual instant control from remote.
Box is 500GB none-RE version.
Transmitter Sutton Coldfield.

Does this indicate that the possible fix isn't such?

EDIT: box was in standby (not Eco) in between
I have just re-performed the test, using BBC4HD throughout this time!

Interestingly, the subsequent AR recording worked.
So a promising result!!
Have set up a future AR recording, later tonight.

For the record, the box was auto-tuned last week during the day, so BBC4HD would have been "off air" at the time.

Have not tested linked recordings yet.

@mihaid..... I think it's because they are interested in finding out why it's happening!
That would be right. I wondered why my HDR had this problem after 4 weeks of perfect recordings. Thanks to Nozzers cure I now know what to do after a rescan to prevent this happening again.

And another successful AR recording on BBC4HD.
It looks like the watch live/red button record/watch live fix may have worked!

The tuning when not broadcasting idea is intriguing. I'm going to do a test. This week I'm in Cumbria but have an HDR-Fox T2 tuned to Caldbeck. Only channel 30 on HD, but that has CBBC HD and BBC3 HD. So my test is:
- Retune now while CBBC HD is on air but BBC3 HD off air. Set AR recordings on both channels for today.
- Check results this evening then retune while the channels on air are switched and set more AR recordings.

I'll report back later...

On a simple manual retune I got the same results which ever half channel was broadcasting at the time of the retune.

Thanks for that, for some reason I believed you had to record something as well.
Anyway, I'll keep an eye on it in the future, though now that "The Bridge II" has finished what else is there!

I tried just watching but it didn't enable recording. Instant recording was also required to embed whatever it is that needs embedding.

I tried just watching but it didn't enable recording. Instant recording was also required to embed whatever it is that needs embedding.

As I said earlier, I don't think it has to be an instant recording. Ours was 'fixed' by live watching while an existing AR recording ran. So if you have a recording set up, just switching to that channel for a few seconds during it might be enough.

Well I set my new box up on Sunday, after tuning I watched half an hour of BBC4HD - didn't record.
Later I had the box set to record 'The Skin I Live In'. This failed with a 0min recording.
So if the fix works (haven't tried yet) then it seems it does need the instant record bit.

The tuning when not broadcasting idea is intriguing. I'm going to do a test. This week I'm in Cumbria but have an HDR-Fox T2 tuned to Caldbeck. Only channel 30 on HD, but that has CBBC HD and BBC3 HD. So my test is:
- Retune now while CBBC HD is on air but BBC3 HD off air. Set AR recordings on both channels for today.
- Check results this evening then retune while the channels on air are switched and set more AR recordings.

I'll report back later...

Update:
After retuning while CBBC HD was on air it came on automatically so I quickly changed to another channel. Anyway:
CBBC HD AR programme: Success
BBC 3 HD AR programme: Fail

I was recording something else before I remembered to retune again so I'll do the second part of the test tonight...

OK I retuned last night while BBC3 HD was on air, and set a couple of AR recordings, and they were successful. A CBBC HD recording from this morning failed.
So my testing seems to prove that failed AR recordings are caused by tuning to the new channels when they are off air.
Nozzer has found that if you then watch the failing channel for a few minutes and set a manual recording, the problem goes away.

So my testing seems to prove that failed AR recordings are caused by tuning to the new channels when they are off air.
So isn't there a catch 22 here. As the children's channels share with the BBC3/4HD channels, it is impossible to tune the humax whilst they are all broadcasting!!!

Back