HB-1000S repairs?

Grandad1946

Hi, my faithful HB-1000S bit the dust. Was off all over the weekend, went to switch on and nothing. Changed batteries in remote, tested the PSU all okay with them. Assume that the box has died, as it is quite old I took a chance and opened it, circuitry seems quite basic, no obvious signs of burning or dodgy components. I have managed to order a used one from eBay, but wondered if anyone knows where i might get my old one repaired as it would be handy as a backup. I don't want to change to another Freesat box as I have a lot of recordings on an external drive that I have yet to watch and don't know if the saved format is compatible with other devices.

Thanks in advance.

Grandad1946

wondered if anyone knows where i might get my old one repaired
This was mentioned a few months ago (I cannot vouch for them personally and I doubt it is an economic proposition):

I have a lot of recordings on an external drive that I have yet to watch and don't know if the saved format is compatible with other devices.
You can't even be sure they will play on another HB-1000S. It depends on the security policy implemented when recording to the external drive, and if the HD-FOX is anything to go by (Freeview receiver with PVR capability) the recordings will be encrypted and unusable except on the original unit.

Hi Black Hole, thank you for your prompt reply. I see the cost of repair is more than the cost of the used replacement I bought. A bit worrying regarding whether my old recordings will play on the new unit but even if they aren’t compatible with the new box I dare say with the number of times programs are repeated I might be able to re-record them.

Once again many thanks

Grandad1946

Back