Hd channels - problem recording

Rlee87

Hi. Fr the last 6 months or maybe longer I have had issues with recording in hd. It shows as recording a programme. However when you actually view the recording it just splats and cracks constantly. The length of the recording can be as low as 20minutes for a successful 60minute recording. My strength is 80% and my quality 100%.

This issue sometimes o curs but much less frequently and no where near as bad when recording sd. Viewing live in hd is fine. No issue at all.

Any ideas?

This sounds like a disk problem. Are you out of warranty (2 years if you registered it, and possibly if you didn't and butter them up nicely)?

Hi. Fr the last 6 months or maybe longer I have had issues with recording in hd. It shows as recording a programme. However when you actually view the recording it just splats and cracks constantly. The length of the recording can be as low as 20minutes for a successful 60minute recording. My strength is 80% and my quality 100%.

This issue sometimes o curs but much less frequently and no where near as bad when recording sd. Viewing live in hd is fine. No issue at all.

Any ideas?

UK Law:

"Under UK law, buyers in England and Wales can get a partial refund or full repair up to six years after the purchase was made (five years from discovery in Scotland). The refund should take into account how much use the customer has already had of a product. Ultimately, a county court would decide this.

"However, the likelihood of getting such a refund is dramatically reduced after just six months. The reason is that for six months after the purchase, it is up to the retailer to show that a fault on an item is down to the actions or misuse of the buyer, rather than an inherent fault in the product.

"After six months, the burden of proof switches to the buyer and it is they who must then show a fault is due to some inherent problem, something that can be almost impossible in all but the most straightforward cases."

Read more

There is also an EU Directive saying warranties should be for at least two years, but it isn't clear if we comply with that.

This is of little value if the cost of enforcing your legal rights exceeds the end benefit (unfortunately we now have a system where only people with deep pockets can get justice, and if the pockets are deep enough, "justice" even if it is not justified).

The "ordinary person" needs to weigh up the value with the difficulty, and that will normally mean getting satisfaction from the retailer within 6 months of purchase, and relying on any warranty the manufacturer offers after that*, while at all times doing whatever boot-licking is required to keep them on-side.

* With the exception of buying a TV from John Lewis where they offer a 5 year shop guarantee (nice) and the prices are competitive. I believe Richer Sounds offers similar.

This is of little value if the cost of enforcing your legal rights exceeds the end benefit (unfortunately we now have a system where only people with deep pockets can get justice, and if the pockets are deep enough, "justice" even if it is not justified).

The "ordinary person" needs to weigh up the value with the difficulty, and that will normally mean getting satisfaction from the retailer within 6 months of purchase, and relying on any warranty the manufacturer offers after that*, while at all times doing whatever boot-licking is required to keep them on-side.

* With the exception of buying a TV from John Lewis where they offer a 5 year shop guarantee (nice) and the prices are competitive. I believe Richer Sounds offers similar.

So true, but the EU thing is promising as it exceeds the normal 12 month guarantee and should only require you to quote the law to make your point.

I generally buy from JL if possible but ordering online is painful, as they flag big purchases as fraud.* Also, they are more likely to be out of stock than Amazon, or to charge more for that 5 year guaranteed purchase. Having said that, you sometimes get a real bargain, eg, an ex-demo Hummy or TV.

Apple just recently got ticked off for charging for a second year's guarantee on their products, by the way.

Apple gets a telling off

* Bought our current TV from JL, ordered online on Sunday for delivery on the following Wednesday. Found out on Monday that they had flagged the order as fraud, so it missed the free delivery window. It took 3 phone calls to sort it out, for delivery on Friday. Despite having slots available still on Wednesday, they said I would have to pay extra for those and refused to offer a free delivery! My bank said JL were placing orders incorrectly, and they were inundated with JL-related fraudulent purchase flags. The reason? The JL site doesn't ask for the 3 digit security code, nor does it work correctly with Visa's security check. JL just flag each order as possible fraud and leave the banks to do the checks.

Compare that with ordering from Amazon, for delivery the next day. Plus, if you are lucky, you may save enough to pay for an extended warranty!

Back