HD content decryption problems.

Gaz Shakes

Hello,

I sometimes record HD content then decrypt the content via the CF then save to PC
I tend to convert to SD DVD video to put onto a DVD disc.
Content is always perfect when playing back on the HDR itself
However recently there is an issue (around last 4 months) - there is some form of corruption when trying to convert the TS file

The file is playable on PC by VLC player fine - the issue is when you try to convert - freezing & out of sync results.
At first I thought the hard drive was the issue so replaced it with a 1TB - but issue remains
I then took the leap to buy a whole new HDR - issue remains
No matter what software is used to convert the issue remains

It seems SD content is fine - just HD

Have tried VideoRedo & Famering Smart cutter just to clean up the TS before conversion.
Have tried Vegas & Premiere Pro - even Nero - all with issues.

Am I only the only person with this issue?
At present I am downgrading CF to see if an earlier version works.

Any advice is appreciated

Cheers Gaz

The Custom Firmware doesn't alter the way the Humax records a Transport Stream to the hard disk, so I don't think downgrading will solve your problem. Also I can't think of any changes the broadcasters have made in the last 4 months to the Hi-Def. format, they used to transmit 1440X1080 but switched to 1920x1080 in mid 2012 I think. The BBC switch from 1080i to 1080p frequently (during the same programme), but they have always done this as fas as I know. I would try to determine what has changed in your computer / conversion software in the last 4 months that may have caused this problem

Would you say fault-finding is a speciality of yours?
You have the straw-clutching "it must be X, try Y" syndrome, so beloved of plumbers and other similar domestic trades, based on no real evidence.
Changing the CF won't help either as it doesn't affect the data stream (nor does the machine itself or the hard disk, as you already found).

Hello,

I sometimes record HD content then decrypt the content via the CF then save to PC
Content is always perfect when playing back on the HDR itself
However recently there is an issue (around last 4 months) - there is some form of corruption when trying to convert the TS file

The file is playable on PC by VLC player fine - the issue is when you try to convert - freezing & out of sync results.
At first I thought the hard drive was the issue so replaced it with a 1TB - but issue remains
I then took the leap to buy a whole new HDR - issue remains
No matter what software is used to convert the issue remains

It seems SD content is fine - just HD

Have tried VideoRedo & Famering Smart cutter just to clean up the TS before conversion.
Have tried Vegas & Premiere Pro - even Nero - all with issues.

Am I only the only person with this issue?
At present I am downgrading CF to see if an earlier version works.

Any advice is appreciated

Cheers Gaz

What are you trying to convert to and why ? The original plays on most media players that support aac audio. For those that don't convert the aac to ac3 and remux as is without any conversion to .ts.

What are you trying to convert to and why ? The original plays on most media players that support aac audio. For those that don't convert the aac to ac3 and remux as is without any conversion to .ts.

Just done a 2hr movie (BBC1 HD) as a test for a separate thread for a poster who wants to upload to a Foxsat-hdr.

Used FLV MP3 Converter to create ac3 audio. Remuxed with TSMuxerGui 1:10:6 using lip synch adjustment -550, result is fine.

grahamlthompson : What are you trying to convert to and why ? The original plays on most media players that support aac audio. For those that don't convert the aac to ac3 and remux as is without any conversion to .ts.
The OP said :-
So he will be converting to MPEG2

Thank you for your responses.

I thought downgrading the firmware may alter the decryption process maybe which may help.
I have multiple OS's and multiple versions of all software - the result is the same.
I believe running the TS through VideoRedo does a good clean up but it still fails to encode to DVD Mpeg correctly.
I have even ran the TS through several TS "repair" programs prior to encode - but issue remains.

I do have a link to a recording this morning (the Jeremy Kile Show - I KNOW JUST FOR TESTING LOL) but unfortunately I cannot post links in my threads as I am a new user

One was TS-Doctor which looked good but still did not help.
Can anyone suggest any one of these good TS cleaner programs?

Thanks!

Last edited:
If the file plays OK downloaded to the PC, the decrypted .ts file must be fundamentally OK - there is no need (and it is pointless) to fiddle with the Humax or its firmware. Decryption recovers the original data - it cannot do anything else (other than scramble it completely). The file is however exactly what the broadcasters transmit, so if the video encoding has been tweaked in any way (still compatible with the players but not compatible with your conversion software), it could potentially have broken your conversation process.

You need to look at your PC software, not the Humax, its firmware, or the custom firmware.

Last edited:
Hi Black Hole,

I am inclined to agree with you - it's just I cannot find a solution.
I have literary thrown over 10 different software's at these files and all the same result - cannot be converted.
At best the picture can be fine but no audio.
Can you suggest any processing methods (eg demux TS file with software A - then clean with software B etc..)

I appreciate any advice

Gaz

the issue is when you try to convert - freezing & out of sync results.
"out of sync" may well be the clue. As it has been pointed out, the video can change from interlaced (1080i50) to progressive (1080p25) and back throughout a broadcast. The TS container handles this format change just fine but most other containers do not. Try deinterlacing the HD recording so you have a uniform frame rate before converting to SD.

The OP said :-

So he will be converting to MPEG2

DVD-Video does not support aac audio. So in addition to recode to mpeg2, aac audio track will need conversion to ac3. Much easier to start with a SD recording which will already be 576i mpeg2 and mp2 audio. I will have a play with my test file. At a guess after replacing the audio track with ac3 and not bothering with correcting the lip synch, the VideoredoTVsuite H264 will do the conversion and correct the lip synch issue.

Took a 5 minute cut from Tsmuxer output file (to save time). VRD fails on it's own. The following worked.

Used Nero Recode to convert to mpeg2 (.mpg) file at full resolution 1920 x 1080.

Loaded this file in VRD and output as 720 x 576 programme stream file.

Splash Pro plays the result OK.

I suggest the mods re title this topic "HD Conversion Problems" and move it to the video manipulation section.

Hello Team,

I have come to a conclusion.
If VRD cannot deal with the file (exclamation mark appears) there is nothing can be done - all other software's also fail.
In the past I have preferred to just do a "remux" with VRD the clean up to a new TS then use something like AME to do the mpg encode
I have only just noticed VRD is on version 5 now so I'm using that now - also to do the mpg encode & its fine at present fingers crossed.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Gaz

Hello Team,

I have come to a conclusion.
If VRD cannot deal with the file (exclamation mark appears) there is nothing can be done - all other software's also fail.
In the past I have preferred to just do a "remux" with VRD the clean up to a new TS then use something like AME to do the mpg encode
I have only just noticed VRD is on version 5 now so I'm using that now - also to do the mpg encode & its fine at present fingers crossed.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Gaz

My original H264AVC failed in VRD, with the exclamation icon. Recoding to mpeg2 using nero recode solved the problem. Vrd loaded the mpeg2 file and recoded to 576i with no issues.

I have an issue with Version 5 and loading .ts H264AVC files, programme locks up on some files and V4 works OK. I have just uploaded a sample to vrd customer support, so expect a fix shortly.

Back