HD content on Playstation 3

Bioinfbloke

Hi,

I have a projector connected to a Playstation 3 and what to play the HD content on the big screen. Currently the only way have managed to play the HD TS files with audio is using VLC 1.9 (2.0+ crashes) having copied them (after using Foxy) to a laptop connected to the projector. On the Playstation 3 I can watch an HD file that has been copied but without audio. I have a homeplug network to move files around.

Apologies if this has been answered before (I tried to search for the keyword ps3 on the forum but got an error 'The search could not be completed because the search keywords were too short, too long, or too common.') but is there a solution that allows me to stream or copy and play HUMAX HDR-FOXT2 films with audio on my Playstation 3?

Thanks!

You could have tried searching for "playstation" instead of PS3, but in fact I didn't find much either.

Off the top of my head I suspect it might be possible, particularly if the PS3 has built-in DLNA streaming capability. If not there might be some third-party software for the PS3 that will do it. The key step is to get a HiDef .TS file (as recorded by the Humax) playing properly when decrypted and transported by USB device. If you can't play that it's not likely you will play it by streaming either. It's a question of codec support for the AAC audio format used in a DVB-T2 transmission. Have you been able to stream StDef recordings using the existing facilities?

Let's suppose you have software that plays a HiDef recording that has been Foxied and copied to USB, and that has DLNA streaming capability. The next thing you need to do is unprotect the HiDef recordings so that the Humax will stream them to your PS3. You need the custom firmware for that and the utility called auto-unprotect - it does more than Foxy in that it also alters the streaming server's database so that the DLNA stream is not protected. The alternative (if you don't want to run custom) is to decrypt the recording by foxying it and then copying to USB, and then copy it back onto the Humax again where the DLNA server can find it. The Humax streams StDef recordings unprotected, so that's a good starting point.

With regard to the custom firmware, you might find the following reads (and their links) interesting:

NEW READERS START HERE (click)
QUICK START GUIDE (click)

Thanks for your speedy reply.

Yes I searched for Playstation as well ... actually a workaround would be google search for site:hummy.tv ps3 :).

Streaming SD recordings with audio works fine on the PS3 using DLNA.

With HD if I Foxy/copy via USB/rename the ts file to mpg I can play video but no audio. I haven't tried streaming it. The program mediainfo on HUMAX HD file returns the first audio stream is AAC (LATM) LC. Sony says its supports the AAC LC (see below) but I am unsure how many AAC variants there are and if it is the same as the HUMAX. The formats the PS3 supports are here:
  • Memory Stick Video Format
  • - MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)
  • - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
  • - MPEG-2 TS(H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC)
  • MP4 file format
  • - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
  • MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)
  • MPEG-2 PS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3(Dolby Digital), LPCM)
  • MPEG-2 TS(MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AC3(Dolby Digital), AAC LC)
  • MPEG-2 TS(H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC)
  • AVI
  • - Motion JPEG (Linear PCM)
  • - Motion JPEG (μ-Law)
  • AVCHD (.m2ts / .mts)
  • DivX
  • WMV
  • - VC-1(WMA Standard V2)
So it all looks tantalisingly close to working. Any thoughts or has anyone got this working?

From that list it looks as if it ought to support the audio format required, but there's nothing like practical experience.

I do recommend that you come over to the 'dark side' (or should that be the 'enlightened side'?) though, so that you can stream your HiDef if you find you want to.

Hmm. I was hoping to avoid that. The reason I am saying this is my experience of converting video files is it takes hours and I would have to move it backwards and forwards from a PC.

If I have to go down that route what is the best tool to convert an aac to aa3 audio track but leave the video stream intact? Would handbrake do it? Is it quicker doing audio stream only?

Hmm. I was hoping to avoid that. The reason I am saying this is my experience of converting video files is it takes hours and I would have to move it backwards and forwards from a PC.

If I have to go down that route what is the best tool to convert an aac to aa3 audio track but leave the video stream intact? Would handbrake do it? Is it quicker doing audio stream only?

You are only converting the audio which is very fast (Humax boxes do it on the fly - they output ac3 from hdmi/s/pdif). I don't have a source for Freeview-HD unencrypted content so can't check what works. If you can upload a short clip I can try a few converters.

Ok. Thanks very much. I need to nip out but will upload short clip in bit...

...and BTW happy to come over to the 'dark side' if I can get a solution that works.

The custom firmware won't do anything about format conversion, but it will unlock the options for decrypting, copying, downloading, and streaming.

You are only converting the audio which is very fast (Humax boxes do it on the fly - they output ac3 from hdmi/s/pdif). I don't have a source for Freeview-HD unencrypted content so can't check what works. If you can upload a short clip I can try a few converters.

Ok I have uploaded a 1 min HD ts file here (a bit of snooker!)

http://www.filedropper.com/worldchampionshipsnooker201204281259

(~67Mb)

If you don't mind trying a few conversion utils out that would be great.

The custom firmware won't do anything about format conversion, but it will unlock the options for decrypting, copying, downloading, and streaming.

If there is a linux conversion util that could convert the stream, could it be installed on the custom firmware so that it could be run on any file? That way the conversion could be done on the HUMAX.

Progress report. Struggling to find free software (plenty of not free I have works).

Thought I'd cracked it. Used VLC Player to convert the audio track to a ac3 .ts. Used TSMuxergui to mux the original video with the new audio. Copied the file to a usb pen, my PS3 doesn't recognise either a .ts or .mts container as video (Confused). I can play the files on the laptop using splash lite or stream to the PS3 using PS3Mediaserver, but there's a severe lip synch issue. What software have you got (for instance any video editing packages including a recent version of Nero ?)

Ok I can help you on the container issue. The trick is to rename it a .mpg. That should work I think.

I don't have any commercial editing software. I have handbrake which usually does most stuff.

Ok I can help you on the container issue. The trick is to rename it a .mpg. That should work I think.

I don't have any commercial editing software. I have handbrake which usually does most stuff.
Tried it already and totally renaming the file to get rid of any non ascii characters. I think Handbrake is strictly a video recoding tool. You need a aac to ac3 audio encoder.

EDIT

Solved the missing files issue, created a Video Folder on the pen drive and moved the files into it and as if by magic they appeared :) Doesn't help with the audio synch problem though.

You can press the green triangle on the ps3 when you highlight the pen drive icon and "show all files". That should work.

Hmm. So no dice on the audio front. I've tried all sorts of things last few days too but can't get it to work either. Thanks for trying.

This is driving me a bit nuts. Now seriously thinking of getting a HUMAX HD-Fox T2 to use as client to stream HD content from the HUMAX HDR-Fox T2...

Cracked it.

Get a copy of VLC Media Player and TSmuxerGUI if you don't already have them.

Open VLCPlayer

Media Convert/Save

Add your file

Use the convert/save pulldown and select convert

In Profile choose Audio.MP3 then click the Spanner/Screwdriver icon

Encapsulation MPEG-TS Audio Codec A52/AC3, Bitrate 256 Channels 2 for stereo 6 for 5.1 , Sample rate 48000. Tell the programme where to save the audio output xxx.ts

Open TSmuxerGui

Add your original file Add the audio file. Set the delay (-500 worked for me). Select TS as the output. Start muxing. The resulting file plays fine on my PS3.

Cracked it.

Get a copy of VLC Media Player and TSmuxerGUI if you don't already have them.

Open VLCPlayer

Media Convert/Save

Add your file

Use the convert/save pulldown and select convert

In Profile choose Audio.MP3 then click the Spanner/Screwdriver icon

Encapsulation MPEG-TS Audio Codec A52/AC3, Bitrate 256 Channels 2 for stereo 6 for 5.1 , Sample rate 48000. Tell the programme where to save the audio output xxx.ts

Open TSmuxerGui

Add your original file Add the audio file. Set the delay (-500 worked for me). Select TS as the output. Start muxing. The resulting file plays fine on my PS3.

Thanks. Nice work! The demo file worked fine. Howvever, I just tried a full movie and there is a further complication in that when you are recording a full movie if there is an announcement intro the muxes change which seems to confuse things.

See http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/transfered-hd-recordings-inconsistant-sound.393/#post-4720

So the solution is to trim off the announcement intro it would seem!

Thanks. Nice work! The demo file worked fine. Howvever, I just tried a full movie and there is a further complication in that when you are recording a full movie if there is an announcement intro the muxes change which seems to confuse things.

See http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/transfered-hd-recordings-inconsistant-sound.393/#post-4720

So the solution is to trim off the announcement intro it would seem!

A whole movie is going to create another problem for you. The PS3 only works with FAT32 drives so there is a single file limit of 4GB. You will have to stream such content from a PC with ntfs drives.

Back