HD content on Playstation 3

Yeah good point. This is all a bit annoying since the standard def files just stream no problem to the PS3.

I guess logistically the simplest way is either watch via a laptop or get another HUMAX and use that as a streaming client.

With regards to the latter, do I have to install custom firmware to do HD streaming or if you have HUMAX HD-Fox T2 does it all just work?

Yeah good point. This is all a bit annoying since the standard def files just stream no problem to the PS3.

I guess logistically the simplest way is either watch via a laptop or get another HUMAX and use that as a streaming client.

With regards to the latter, do I have to install custom firmware to do HD streaming or if you have HUMAX HD-Fox T2 does it all just work?

I don't have any problem streaming HD ones to the pS3 from my laptop. Streaming from a HDR FOX T2 to a HD FOX T2 is built in to the standard firmware.

I don't have any problem streaming HD ones to the pS3 from my laptop. Streaming from a HDR FOX T2 to a HD FOX T2 is built in to the standard firmware.

I have tried PS3 media server and streaming from my desktop but again ran into problems with sound. Do you have any particular settings you use?

I have tried PS3 media server and streaming from my desktop but again ran into problems with sound. Do you have any particular settings you use?

How is your desktop and the PS3 linked to your router. Is it a cat5 cable link or is there a wireless link involved ?. In my case I have a single cat5 cable from my hifi rack to my router. My laptop, the PS3, a Foxsat-hdr, a HD FOX T2, a Denon AV amp, a Sony blu-ray player share the cable using a cheap fast network switch. This means the laptop and the PS3 communicate directly via the switch. Just like you the original clip when streamed has no audio, the converted one plays perfectly. Really need a description of your home network connections to make any further suggestions. Believe me I am not a an expert in networking.

I have a PC in one room connected to TP-Link wireless hub by cat5 cable and then the ps3 in another room connected to hub via cat5. So there shouldn't be any latency problems.

My question related to playing an unmanipulated (apart from being unencrypted) HUMAX HiDef ts file ona PS3 Media Server on a PC. You said you didn't have any problems so I was wondering if there was something I need to do with the PS3 Media Server settings (of which there are many!). I am beginning to wonder if the PS3 Media Server is also having problems with the announcement to film switchover as discussed above. I will try and stream a short clip PS3 Media Server that doesn't have an announcement and report back.

What are you using on the PC to play the stream? The audio stream is known to switch format between the adverts and the programme, and we have had problems in the past identifying a media player that can track the change. Splash Lite will do it, but can't stream so you ave to copy he file to the PC first. The latest version of VLC will do it and stream.

A work-around (as mentioned before) is to clip off the intro.

What are you using on the PC to play the stream? The audio stream is known to switch format between the adverts and the programme, and we have had problems in the past identifying a media player that can track the change. Splash Lite will do it, but can't stream so you ave to copy he file to the PC first. The latest version of VLC will do it and stream.

A work-around (as mentioned before) is to clip off the intro.

I think actually editing the movie is work around too far for me as I don't have time/patience do that for every movie. :)

I have tried PS3 Media Server to do the streaming.

Whenever I try and play a HiDef movie on VLC 2+ it crashes on Windows 7 32 bit. VLC version 1.9 seems ok (after disabling then reenabling the audiotrack) so I guess I should try and use that to do the streaming as well.

I have a PC in one room connected to TP-Link wireless hub by cat5 cable and then the ps3 in another room connected to hub via cat5. So there shouldn't be any latency problems.

My question related to playing an unmanipulated (apart from being unencrypted) HUMAX HiDef ts file ona PS3 Media Server on a PC. You said you didn't have any problems so I was wondering if there was something I need to do with the PS3 Media Server settings (of which there are many!). I am beginning to wonder if the PS3 Media Server is also having problems with the announcement to film switchover as discussed above. I will try and stream a short clip PS3 Media Server that doesn't have an announcement and report back.

Think we are at cross purposes here. I can stream HD recordings from a Foxsat-hdr and the clip you provided with audio after replacing the aac audio with ac3. I haven't found a way to transcode aac to ac3 on the fly to let the PS3 output audio as well.

Think we are at cross purposes here. I can stream HD recordings from a Foxsat-hdr and the clip you provided with audio after replacing the aac audio with ac3. I haven't found a way to transcode aac to ac3 on the fly to let the PS3 output audio as well.

Ah ok. Thanks for all your help anyway.

I've found VLC 2.0 / 2.1 to be worse than older 1.x releases. It's slower at times and completely fails to play many .ts files that older versions opened properly. Media Player Cinema, Splash and VideoRedo have no issues with the files. All the Borgen .ts and one of seven 'Episodes' HD ts files now on my PC crash 2.01 straight away - work fine with 1.15 or such.

Main issue with all VLC releases is it ramps audio level up and down for UK HD TS files - i.e aac, it's fine with aac in web mkv's and fine with ac3, and I've not been able to get MPCinema to play the audio in any HD TS file off the Humax.

I think actually editing the movie is work around too far for me as I don't have time/patience do that for every movie. :)

It's actually very easy to do on the Humax using the custom firmware. With the right set of packages installed all you have to do is bookmark where you want the edited recording to start and then move it to a special [edit] folder - and bingo the trailers get chopped off. You can nip out advert breaks the same way.

BTW couldn't get this problem resolved.

In the end bought a £15 10 metre HMDI cable and directly feed it to the AMP/projector. Sometime low-tech is the easiest (and cheapest!) option.

I plan to buy a HUMAX Fox T2 box at some point to do the streaming.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Back