HD files fail to decrypt

colirv

I'd like to backup my 1TB HDD prior to returning the 11-month-old machine under warranty (heavy pixellating/artefacts). Earlier in the week I installed custom firmware HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.20_mod_2.18 (which I had previously used to sort out my "permanent delete" problem) and WebIf. I then used Foxy to un-encrypt a couple of HD files and decrypted them (individually) together with a few SD files. All went well and all were playable on my PC.

The next day I ran Foxy on the remaining HD files and resumed the decrypting process. Now the SD files decrypt ok but the resulting HD files are unplayable - even on the Humax, where I get a "The channel is scrambled or not available" notice. I've tried re-running Foxy on them and upgraded the firmware to 2.19 but to no avail. SD files decrypt ok, HD files (with no Enc marker) get a Dec flag but simply become unreadable.

I've tried hiding the sidecar files, but the machine won't play just the .ts file. Suggestions as to what to try next would be welcome! The plus side is that none of the files are desperately important, so if I can't sort this within the next week or so I'll simply backup the original HD files and lose them if I have to. But I'd prefer to keep them.

Colin

The Foxy process only unlocks Hi-Def. files some other process can decrypt them, it doesn't do the decrypting. Once Foxy'ed a Hi-Def. file should not hace the ENC icon next to it an should be decrypted in the same way a Standard Def. file would be, this includes copying the file to a USB device and using Web-if >> download, the second method requires the file to be DLNA tagged by the Humax and should have this symbol against it DLNA-small.jpg, DLNA requires content sharing to be turned on, see the notes on decryption in the WiKi HERE

Although you are getting the 'Dec' flag on the files it is likely that the decryption has failed. As you have custom firmware installed, I would make sure that all the files you want to decrypt are within the 'my video' folder of the internal hard drive (if they have already been 'Foxied' that is fine), install the auto-unprotect package through Web-If (this removes the need to use Foxy) and then right click on the 'my video' folder in Web-If and flag for recursive auto-decrypt. If you leave the box switched on, the files will gradually be decrypted in place. This can be monitored by looking in the auto.log file. Once decrypted, you can copy the files onto your PC over the network, if you like, or just copy directly on to a USB hard drive using the remote control.

The copied HD files that are flagged as decrypted but don't play on the Humax or your PC are probably corrupted in some way and are unlikely to be decrypted by the above method (the 'Dec' flag would prevent them from being processed, in any case). I presume you still have the originals on the internal hard drive: these should be decrypted OK by the above method. Any content you want to keep (SD or HD) will need to be decrypted on this box and copied before you send it back as the encryption key is unique to each machine.

Reading Ezra's post has reminded me that the method I suggested requires content sharing to be switched on, and the files to be indexed by the DLNA server: this is automatic with content share on, but can take a while.

Thanks for the replies. I've assumed, perhaps wrongly, that the USB method wouldn't work for larger HD files without a lot of extra effort, which is why I've been using the WebIf download method. This, as I say, works fine for SD files but no longer for HD files. All of my HD files have been Foxyed, and none have an Enc icon against them, so I assume I don't need auto-unprotect (which from my reading earlier in the week seemed to take second place to Foxy). Similarly, they all have the DNLA tag against them, so I guess that's not the problem.

All the original files are indeed still there, in .original directories, so I'll give auto-decrypt a go this evening or in the morning. Of course, if auto-decrypt merely applies the (unsuccessful) individual decrypt automatically I'll be surprised if it succeeds, but it's got to be worth a shot!

Please read THIS (click) carefully. You will see that Foxy is only applicable to decryption by USB copy, and auto-unprotect is required for all Custom Firmware decryption methods including WebIF download. This is because there are different protection mechanisms, and Foxy only enables decryption when a recording is being copied to USB using the SUI, whereas auto-unprotect does that and also manipulates the DLNA index to disarm DTCP (the DLNA server is used for custom decryption - see Glossary).

Auto-decrypt could take a very long time if there is a lot to process, and you don't need it to download individual files via the WebIF download link (once auto-unprotect has done its job).

If files will no longer play from the Humax ("scrambled") it is probably because the encrypted flag has got itself into the wrong state (decrypted files it thinks are encrypted, or encrypted files it thinks are decrypted). The hmt utility can help there (look it up in the Wiki). I'm not at all sure what will happen if auto-unprotect tries to process a recording that is already Foxied, it is possible that it would not recognise that anything needs to be done. Consequently setting the protect flag using the hmt utility might be the only way to go (not the same as the encrypted flag).

See also Things Every... (click) sections 5 and 12, and note that the Humax can be made to write to NTFS by installing the ntfs-3g package.

I never knew that about Foxy. I started off using Foxy plus USB copy with the remote, then after installing the CF I went to auto-unprotect/ auto-decrypt.

As you just want to get the programmes off your box before sending it back I suggest plugging a USB hard drive in to your Hummy. Then copy the 'Foxied' files to the USB drive using the opt+ button on your remote: if it is in NTFS format you will first need to install the ntfs-3g package through Web-If (EDIT: I hadn't read to the end of Black Hole's post:oops:). You can select multiple files and just leave it going.

colirv said:
Thanks for the replies. I've assumed, perhaps wrongly, that the USB method wouldn't work for larger HD files without a lot of extra effort
EXT2/3 are fine, NTFS is fine with ntfs-3g installed, FAT is limited to 4.0GB per file. It can take a while to copy: I would leave it running overnight if you have a lot of data. To be on the safe side, set auto power down = off in settings> system> power management (Humax menu).

In the end I decided to stay with WebIf download. What kept me amused (!) for hours was figuring out how to navigate within Telnet to directories with spaces in their names. The answer, of course, was to enclose the directory name in single quotes. Anyway, I've quickly done one 5GB HD file (resetting the protect flag using the hmt utility, installing auto-unprotect then manually decrypting) and the resultant file plays both on the Humax and my PC. Result! Now to do the rest.

Thanks again to everyone, particularly Black Hole. That limitation of Foxy is important.

You do not need to decrypt the file prior to using the download option on the WebIF. I would not describe it as a "limitation" of Foxy, it does what it was always intended to do.

You do not need to decrypt the file prior to using the download option on the WebIF.
... although doing so does make the downloaded file retain the original name rather than a numeric identifier.

I would not describe it as a "limitation" of Foxy, it does what it was always intended to do.
Agreed - Foxy is intended to be used on non-customised HDRs to enable decrypt-on-copy-to-USB. If you're running custom firmware, just install auto-unprotect which does the same but also enables streaming of high definition content without copy protection (DTCP). It is this unprotected streaming which enables the custom firmware decryption options.

Back