HD-FOX T2 freezing after recording.

SuperSonic4

I have a problem insofar as my HD-Fox T2, more often than not, freezes after it records a program requiring pulling the plug from mains and plugging it back in to reset. I cannot access the web interface but can get telnet access although it's unclear if commands are being sent properly ("reboot" isn't working). The TV plays the channel as though nothing were wrong yet I cannot change channel either by remote or any button on the box itself.

It is connected to the TV via HDMI only, connected to the internet by means of a ethernet cable and connected to the hard drive by USB.
The drive is a 160GB (~147GiB) 3.5mm internal drive housed in a caddy and was formatted by the box itself.

It seems to happen more often when recording a HD channel

What usually happens:
  • Program is scheduled to record a program (added via box rather than webif)
  • Program records successfully
  • Box Freezes up

The Box is running the latest custom firmware (1.02.28 mod 2.11) on top of the latest official firmware (1.02.28) - see attached screenshot for the settings page
Installed Packages:
  • BootHDR 1.1
  • auto-unprotect 1.0.7
  • ffmpeg 0.10
  • undelete 1.4 (set to delete 24h after removal)
  • webif 0.9.13-3
  • webif-iphone 1.0.0
At the moment I am recording challenge until 2300 (Supermarket Sweep to save you guys looking at the EPG ;)) but am willing to test anything afterwards.

I gotta thank you guys (and gals) for enhancing the hummy to even get this problem :D

Attachments

• IMG_20120808_005650.jpg
    IMG_20120808_005650.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 8
Sorry about that, attached is a new version sans flash.

I've removed auto-unprotect too in case it's a decryption problem and scheduled Friday Night Dinner to record off Channel 4 HD at 2310

Attachments

• IMG_20120810_223527.jpg
    IMG_20120810_223527.jpg
    860.2 KB · Views: 5
I was joking!

It won't be a decryption problem because the HD-FOX doesn't decrypt. I'm no authority, but I reckon the first thing to suspect is a file system problem. Can you try it with a different drive?

Think of the fun you could be having...

I'm trying a different drive now, doesn't seem much different although it's slower (hdd issue rather than a hummy one) and just waiting for it to record the scheduled HD program above.

edit: I'll give it a few minutes. If it works I'll let the hummy reformat the original drive (after copying off all the programs of course)

I recently relocated the hard drive attached to my HD-T2, and used a 5m usb cable for the job. I'm also getting a few lock ups now. I've been running the hdd with the old shorter cable for about 18 months with no problem. So as it seems to have caused problems for me, so maybe swapping a cable may cure them for you?

Is that a USB-powered drive? Although the USB2 specification allows for a 5m cable, the voltage drop will be substantial.

Would definitely recommend a shorter cable if it has to power a USB hard drive. Most (cheap) USB extension cables are thin and therefore have significant internal resistance. As BH says, the voltage drop will be substantial.

Back