HD-FOX T2 No EPG Data in WebIF

OldGoat

Just (yesterday) installed Raydon's package on a Fox T2 using a stick to store the software.

The EPG function doen't work, I get "no cached EPG data" on the web page (EPG is working on the TV side).
I left the box active all night in the hope that something would download - zilch.

Have I broken something or won't the memory stick (slow speed) store the cache?

As a subsidiary - from whence is the EPG information extracted; I'm assuming in the data stream from each MUX, or is there one master source?

tks.

I was wondering that myself, and will move the thread and change it's title if required.

Which package are you referring to?

Confused here - well it's the software which started life as Raydon's for the FoxSat and has appeared on the Fox Freeview machines. At least the concept is the same and the WebIf presentation is similar.
I inadvertently posted it first on AvForums and got a thick ear :oops: for my trouble (I jest).
The HDR version works fine on my T2 HDR - so ithought I'd have a play on the junior model. Everything else works on that box (except recording of course), so I thought the great wisdom out there might be able to help.

Ah, perhaps I should have posted it in the "Customised Firmware" forum. Per haps a Moderator could move it, please?

This is mainly af123's work, ported to the FOXSAT.

Have you formatted your USB stick to Ext2? Things won't work very well if it is FAT or NTFS. The links in my signature panel (below) will get you going.

Thank you;
Yes, the stick is EXT2 as (I suppose) I can't install Webif to a FAT/NTFS formatted disk. SO, I've got all the other functions that I think I need, just no EPG.
The exercise is a bit pointless, but I've been seduced by "talking to my telly" over a network, as it were. Now it's a matter of finding out why it's not working - purely from the technical point of view...

Back to your original question, now all that is cleared up.

The EPG data is broadcast as part of the data stream that comprises each multiplex - the services on that particular multiplex are given priority, but over a 15-minute cycle data for all the services on all the multiplexes are broadcast on every multiplex. The normal operation of the HD/HDR-FOX stores the data to an SQLite database file (in the case of the HD-FOX it will be either RAM or the internal Flash drive), where the custom software can then read it just the same as the humaxtv process does.

You say the EPG appears normal on the TV screen (presumably sourced from the HD-FOX!), so the database must be populated. It appears that the WebIF is unable to access it to present to the browser.

I have problems with my HD-FOX in that I sometimes can't get it started - usually if I have turned it off by accident and want to turn it on again straight away. The consequence is that the CF disables a lot of the services because of the crash on start-up (as a protection mechanism) - I wonder if this might have happened to you? I rarely use the WebIF on my HD-FOX so I don't know what the knock-on effects are. It might be that the WebIF no longer has access to the EPG data.

I was wondering that myself, and will move the thread and change it's title if required.

I suggest moving it to the custom section under the title "HD-FOX No EPG Data in WebIF".

The HD stores an EPG cache on the attached disk so you should have file there called /media/drive1/epgsavedata.
It may not appear until you've put the box into standby and out again a couple of times.
Does that file exist on your flash disk?

Confused here - well it's the software which started life as Raydon's for the FoxSat and has appeared on the Fox Freeview machines. At least the concept is the same and the WebIf presentation is similar.

The two customisation projects are separate and have developed in parallel. There is occasional crossover - in both directions. For instance, the web interface and package management started on the freeview boxes and were ported over to the Foxsat whereas the samba server and twonky media server followed the opposite path.

The HD stores an EPG cache on the attached disk so you should have file there called /media/drive1/epgsavedata.
It may not appear until you've put the box into standby and out again a couple of times.
Is that the case if the external drive is "just" there for the CF, or only when a drive has been initialised by the HD-FOX as a recording drive?

I've tried the same thing, and get the same thing. What OldGoat is seeing is the recently-introduced status line (under the top banner) saying "No cached EPG data. Try again later. Watching..."

Not on mine, according to the diagnostics file editor browser.

Try looking for clues in the log file 'epgd.log'.

epgd.log is zero bytes.

I have never tried to do this with the newer incarnations of the WebIF etc, it might always have been like this with non-HDD HD-FOXes (custom software hosted on a UPD).

When the "failed boot" protection mechanism cuts in, how do I restore the CF function? Could it be a diagnostics button??

I've tried the same thing, and get the same thing. What OldGoat is seeing is the recently-introduced status line (under the top banner) saying "No cached EPG data. Try again later. Watching..."

The message was changed to 'No cached EPG data...' recently but previously it would have just said something about the epg table being missing.

You've probably hit on the problem - without a recording drive it doesn't store the cache.
You could try the assignhd diagnostic followed by a reboot, it might be enough to trigger the EPG cache.

When the "failed boot" protection mechanism cuts in, how do I restore the CF function? Could it be a diagnostics button??
fix-flash-packages is the quickest way.

Oh lovely. Now I can't get any action from the CF at all, even though it announces itself on the front panel! The USB stick doesn't even show up in the media browser, so it would not surprise me if assignhd has somehow corrupted it.

I have never been happy with the current installation, it freezes for ages whenever I visit the Internet Settings on the menus (and comes back after a long pause), so a complete rebuild is in order.

Now we're getting somewhere - thanks for that.
But, No, I don't have that file on my flash disk. Got a lot of stuff relating to the various packages.
I have rebooted the machine several times.
So for some reason it's not saving it. It's not a huge problem, because I can't record to the stick being so small. As the machine is only used as a radio (FM and digital reception here are poor, so we use Free - view and -sat for all aour broadcasts). I suppose now I think about it, it would be nice to record the occasional radio program - but I don't want to "waste" a disk drive plus the power supply clutter etc, etc.
I digress.
Once started it would be nice to find out why.

The Humax HD won't format a Flash Device for recording if it is smaller than 32GB and even then there are few reports of it working, however a small USB HDD of say 30GB to 250GB could be powered from the Humax USB socket if you pick the right one. This on would probably be suitable From Amazon

I think that's where the problem resides -
I formatted a 2gig with EXT2 (on a PC) and when I presented it to the FOX it "said Ugh!" and reformatted it. I then installed the Customised Firmware without any (other) problem.
I suspect that sopmewhere down the line, the system has decided that there was not enough room for any actual media directories and left a flag behind to that effect. That has stopped the epg caching. Could be a lot of "rubbish", though....

Do feel free to correct my assumptions. It's by bouncing ideas and problems around that we learn.

Back