HD-Fox T2 Portal Access Issues

Xcellante

Hi All,

Was wondering if someone can give me some advice. I recently got the forementioned Freeview box and I am having some serious problems accessing the TV Portal.

I've tried everything I can think of to get it going but I've hit a brick wall. I know it is something simple but I just can't put my finger on it. Basically, I have connected a ethernet cable from the back of the box to my router but no matter what I do it is just not connecting at all. I'm not even getting internet connected confirmation on the Settings>Internet page.

At first I thought it was the cable itself but I'm currently using it to write this from the router to the phone line. So thats out the window. As of 5th July 2012 all updates are present and correct on the System with software version at KZTFT 1.02.29.

Any ideas? Anyone?

If you are not getting an internet connecter confirmation, it is not connected to your network.
You need to check the IP address and DNS details that have been entered to see if there is a mistake.

If you post back with the IP details that you have input in the box, we can try and diagnose the issue from there.

Okay, so have you configured the Internet settings? The minimum you need to do is make sure DHCP is set (and hope that is appropriate).

You press the "TV Portal" button, then what happens? Talk us through what you see and any error messages.

At first I thought it was the cable itself but I'm currently using it to write this from the router to the phone line.

?
The cable between router and 'phone line is usually a Cat3 cable with RJ-11 ends. Not what you need...

Hi guys,

Sorry for getting back so lateand thanks for the replies. Thought I'd do a little investigation into what I was doing wrong.

Good news is... I know what went wrong and it wasn't anything I did.
Bad news is... Never send a woman to get the appropriate cable!

We have a local PC store who makes these cables and I asked my other half to get it, since she was in town anyway. Gave her the type I needed (RJ45). So the bottom line is... Whoever made the error, I have now a spare ASDL lead. Penny kinda dropped after I made that post earlier. Well after I had a coffee, cigarette and 2 painkillers to cure my aching head to try and regain some clarity.

So. Back in tomorrow (myself this time!) and get the cable. I'll let you know then if I have any problems. Shouldn't though.

Hi Guys,

I'm still having issues with connecting to the TV Portal. I have connected the ethernet cable, set DHCP and prayed but I'm still getting "Cannot connect to network. Please check your internet or network setting"

I've checked and to be honest I have no idea what to look for or how to rectify the problem.

Please help!

The cable between your Humax and your router doesn't need to be specially made for you (unless you need an unusual length) because what you need is a standard LAN cable RJ45 plugs both ends and 1 to 1 wiring. you can buy one from poundland. You need to test a few things out, I would connect a LAN cable between a Laptop / P.C. and your router (with it's Wi-Fi turned off) and ensure that you can access the internet over this path, It this works remove the LAN cable from the Laptop / P.C. and plug it into the Humax

If it still doesn’t work you need to look at the internet settings on the Humax

The cable between your Humax and your router doesn't need to be specially made for you (unless you need an unusual length) because what you need is a standard LAN cable RJ45 plugs both ends and 1 to 1 wiring. you can buy one from poundland. You need to test a few things out, I would connect a LAN cable between a Laptop / P.C. and your router (with it's Wi-Fi turned off) and ensure that you can access the internet over this path, It this works remove the LAN cable from the Laptop / P.C. and plug it into the Humax

If it still doesn’t work you need to look at the internet settings on the Humax

Thanks for that Ezra. I've tried what you advised and was able to access through the LAN via laptop and router. But still no joy through Humax to router.

I'm guessing I may have to manually set this up through the Humax. Am I right?

I'm guessing I may have to manually set this up through the Humax. Am I right?

Yes, If you can display the IP setting of the LAN connector on your the laptop, your can copy MOST of it to your Humax e.g. the Humax needs to be on a similar IP address. If your router's IP address is say 192.168.0.1 then your Humax should be setup like this :-

Configure IP = Manual
IP address = 192.168.0.100
Netmask = 255.255.255.0
Gateway Address = 192.168.0.1
DNS address = 192.168.0.1

Notes :- the '100' above can be any number from 003 to 254 but must not be used by anything else on the network
Last 2 addresses changed form 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.1

Yes, If you can display the IP setting on the laptop, you cn copy MOST of then to your Humax

Right I've tried to do that and I'm still hitting a brick wall. Not even getting a ping! Through Command Prompt its telling me that the ethernet connection is disconnected. Not sure if it is in regard to PC or router.

Still not getting anything. Any other ideas?

If can have your Laptop and the Humax connected to the LAN at the same time it would help, One thing to note is tha routers somtimes use a different set of IP addresses for Wi-Fi and wired LANs so you may have your laptop WiFi IP as 192.168.0.100 and your Laptop wired LAN on192.168.1.100. can you supply the IP addresses of your Laptop (WiFi), Laptop (Wired LAN), Humax, and router

If can have your Laptop and the Humax connected to the LAN at the same time it would help, One thing to note is tha routers somtimes use a different set of IP addresses for Wi-Fi and wired LANs so you may have your laptop WiFi IP as 192.168.0.100 and your Laptop wired LAN on192.168.1.100. can you supply the IP addresses of your Laptop (WiFi), Laptop (Wired LAN), Humax, and router

For the wireless its - 192.168.0.2 I'm assuming this is the preferred address.
For the LAN its - 192.168.0.3
The Humax is - 192.0.2.100 (default)
Got the router - 192.168.0.1

That's the problem, change the Humax from 192.0.2.100 to 192.168.0.100 and it should be O.K., In fact all the setting should be as in #9, (gateway and DNS changed), are you saying that if you set the Humax IP Address = 192.168.0.100 and then re-examin it, it has changed back to 192.0.2.100 ?, It should not do that if Configure IP = Manual

That's the problem, change the Humax from 192.0.2.100 to 192.168.0.100 and it should be O.K., In fact all the setting should be as in #9, but I though you has tried that, are you saying that if you set the Humax IP Address = 192.168.0.100 and then re-examin it, it has changed back to 192.0.2.100 ?

With all the info on IP I supplied. I know which should go where it is just the main IP address I should be using. On the Humax its factory default is 192.0.2.100. When I updated to either alternative IP addresses I have through Wi-Fi and LAN I'm not getting nothing.

Beginning to wonder if I have a dodgy box. Whenever I manually enter all the details and leave the menu screen, I go back into it and it has defaulted back to the original factory settings.

If you keep your router at 192.168.0.1 then your Humax settings should ALL be as shown in #9 NOTE they have been changed. You should not be using the Humax default of 192.0.2.100 so you should not change it to that (and it shouldn't change itself either). If the settings in #9 stay unchanged then 'Applying' them should get you a 'Network connected' message and you should also be able to send ping 192.168.0.100 from your laptop

If you keep your router at 192.168.0.1 then your Humax settings should ALL be as shown in #9 NOTE they have been changed. You should not be using the Humax default of 192.0.2.100 so you should not change it to that (and it shouldn't change itself either). If the settings in #9 stay unchanged then 'Applying' them should get you a 'Network connected' message and you should also be able to send ping 192.168.0.100 from your laptop
Thats what I thought. But I'm getting nothing. Even when I try to ping the address aswell. I know its not the router as its doing everything I need from it plus it is a new router. Not sure what the problem is. I think at this point I have a dodgy box. Would an update on the Humax fix the problem perhaps? As of 5th July 2012 all updates on the System with software version at KZTFT 1.02.29.

I don't think a software update will fix it (1.02.29 is the latest). When you connect the LAN cable to the Humax and take the Humax out of Standby, do you get a green LED light up next to the LAN connector on the Humax? you may also see yellow LED next to it flashing, but not all the time

I don't think a software update will fix it (1.02.29 is the latest). When you connect the LAN cable to the Humax and take the Humax out of Standby, do you get a green LED light up next to the LAN connector on the Humax? you may also see yellow LED next to it flashing, but not all the time
The only light I see on the back of the Humax is a red light with SPDIF underneath it. No other indicators on the box at all. Apart from the usual front panel.

That's not right if one end of your LAN cable is plugged into your Router (and the router is switched on) then plugging the other on of the LAN cable into the Humax (when it is out of standby) should give a permanent Green and a few flashes of yellow, you will probably have similar LEDs on your router like this :-

LAN-socket.jpg

If you have proved that the LAN cable works and that both router and Humax are fully on you should get at least the green, if you don't it does look like a faulty Humax

That's not right if one end of your LAN cable is plugged into your Router (and the router is switched on) then plugging the other on of the LAN cable into the Humax (when it is out of standby) should give a permanent Green and a few flashes of yellow, you will probably have similar LEDs on your router like this :-

View attachment 312

If you have proved that the LAN cable works and that both router and Humax are fully on you should get at least the green, if you don't it does look like a faulty Humax
I see where the lights should be on going by your image. But there is nothing happening there. Looks like a faulty Humax. Sigh*

Back