HD-FOX-T2 - Web-If connection problem

P
I have a portable 500mb disk ready to go. This was going to be used if necessary when I had connected to the WebIF - but as I can't connect to the WebIF it seemed pointless connecting it ( using a USB if used the wireless dongle ).

So, when I reboot after applying the mod firmware - I should have the 500mb disk connected to allow connection to the Web interface?

Perhaps what I have been calling the WebIF is in fact is the initial web page - allowing you to download the CF packages. I don't get this when typing the IP address. This should not require a usb drive.

<sigh> I just worked it out (sorry):

CF 2.16 includes the "I need a suitable drive" default web page, and includes the Telnet menu to set one up, not 2.15. With 2.15 (and lower) you get no response when there is no suitable drive connected, which is what you are seeing and is a specific defect addressed in 2.16... but I don't think 2.16 has been released yet - see HERE (click). This is what confused me, because I had forgotten that you would not get this error page with 2.15.

Downloading the second-stage installation most certainly does require a USB drive; there is very little room available in the internal FLASH, and the CF you install as a firmware update is little more than an executive and a loader.

If you intend to use the portable drive (do you really mean 500MB?? Let's presume it is 500GB!), connect it to the HD-FOX before you do anything with the CF and format it with the Humax menu as stated in the Quick Start. You will then find that (having followed the instructions to the letter) you will get the loader web page when you connect with your browser.

Even so there should be a web page that says it needs external storage
Yes, that's in CFW 2.16 (not yet released). I had been waiting for Humax to release 1.02.32 for the HD model but since they haven't yet I will release 2.16.

<sigh> I just worked it out (sorry):

CF 2.16 includes the "I need a suitable drive" default web page, and includes the Telnet menu to set one up, not 2.15. With 2.15 (and lower) you get no response when there is no suitable drive connected, which is what you are seeing and is a specific defect addressed in 2.16... but I don't think 2.16 has been released yet - see HERE (click). This is what confused me, because I had forgotten that you would not get this error page with 2.15.

Downloading the second-stage installation most certainly does require a USB drive; there is very little room available in the internal FLASH, and the CF you install as a firmware update is little more than an executive and a loader.

If you intend to use the portable drive (do you really mean 500MB?? Let's presume it is 500GB!), connect it to the HD-FOX before you do anything with the CF and format it with the Humax menu as stated in the Quick Start. You will then find that (having followed the instructions to the letter) you will get the loader web page when you connect with your browser.

What a difference a day makes!

I got up this morning energised to resolve this issue, having laid in bed working out where I might have gone wrong.

Before reading your response - I formatted the 500GB drive ( your assumption was correct) before loading the CF. I then loaded CF2.15 and before rebooting, attached the drive. I decided to use the Ethernet LAN connection rather than the WiFi USB Dongle. Of course, when I typed in the IP address I was rewarded with the default web page as you state above. It took two attempts to load all the files successfully. I now have a fully configured CF 2.15 HD-FOX.

It sees my other HDR-FOX2, HDR-7500T, HP Microservers and a host of other DLNA enabled devices - wonderful.

Now I understand what happens when you load the CF on the HD-FOX it is clear what has to be done. The quick guide has everything you need.

Look forward to af123 releasing 2.16 so I can do it again!

Black Hole & af123 - Thank you both for your help and time. You and the other guys do a great job supporting this forum.

Updating to CF 2.16 will not be anywhere near as traumatic - just a simple firmware update. It will not be a "necessary" update unless you need anything it brings in terms of disk maintenance (release notes pending).

I am unsure about you statement re seeing DLNA devices - it should have done that without CF. Perhaps the WiFi was causing you additional grief.

Back