HD gone AWOL

digitl

Management was deleting recordings from her Fox T2 and the display showed 139GB remaining with the wheel rotating. This went on for over an hour so she put the box into standby. When she turned it on again it was still deleting and showing 139GB.

After a few days of not using the box, the deleting message has disappeared but when she presses media the 'not possible' symbol appears on screen. Try to record a programme and nothing happens, go into Menu > Settings > System and Data Storage is greyed out.

Anyone have any thoughts on what's happened and how to fix it?

Anyone have any thoughts on what's happened and how to fix it?
Sounds like the file system is having problems. Best way forward would be to install the custom firmware and try running fix-disk. With luck that would correct the issue and retain the content; at worst you might need a new hard drive.

Thanks and, sorry, should have said that the custom firmware was installed. I just need to find fix-disk now and see what transpires.

You need to telnet to the box to run it.
You should have posted in the custom section of the forum if you are customised already!

OK, I need to discover how to telnet into it.

I didn't post the problem on the customised firmware section as I wasn't sure if it was a CF issue.

Thanks! Fix-disk reports 'Some areas of the disk are not mounted' and 'Unable to find a disk'. Looks like a dead disk?

If so, I have a spare WD 2TB Green. Or has it got to be a purple?

If there is nothing valuable on the existing drive, you could try formatting it through the standard menus first.

Thanks! Fix-disk reports 'Some areas of the disk are not mounted' and 'Unable to find a disk'. Looks like a dead disk?
Try connecting it to a PC and see if that can recognise the drive (it won't recognise the file system without an additional driver).
If so, I have a spare WD 2TB Green. Or has it got to be a purple?
Try it and see if you wish. The drives designed for PVR usage do have some firmware modifications designed to reduce the amount of error checking which may be important as the drive gets older but there isn't any real data to say how important this is.

Just to round this off. I pulled the hard drive and checked it in an external case on my Windows 10 desktop and, though I could hear some clicking and whirring, it was dead.

I've installed a spare WD Green 2TB that I had laying around and that seems to be fine so far.

Management now has twice the capacity to fill with soaps.

I'm hoping/expecting it will be OK as I've seen the 500GB version listed as an 'AV' drive alongside WD Purples and Samsung Pipelines.

Apologies if I have misunderstood the gist of your post but the WD AV-GP drives are not the same as WD Green drives.

I'm not saying that the WD Green won't be OK in the Hummy, but it isn't optimised for PVRs whereas the WD AV-GP is.

The WD green's are similar to the AV-GP (recently renamed to just AV) but they use fairly aggressive head parking which can impact performance. It's possible to disable the 'intellipark' feature using a utility.

The 'WD Green' I was referring to is listed seventh on the link I provided and is priced at £45.15 but, checking more carefully, it looks like I have been misled by the green labeling on the image and it's not a WD Green after all. Apologies.

I'll wait with interest to see how the drive I've installed performs!

The WD green's are similar to the AV-GP (recently renamed to just AV) but they use fairly aggressive head parking which can impact performance. It's possible to disable the 'intellipark' feature using a utility.

I used wdidle3 on it in its previous life!

Back