HD not seeing HDR

Bascule

Hi,

OK, time to resort to a forum!

I've had an HDR-FOX -T2 for some time time. Ever since the EPG for the Inverto died. Have been very please with it. I recently bought a HD-FOX T2 for another room and I've got them both connected to the network via HomePlug Powerline adapters (TP-Link). I already had 2 other Powerline adpters (Edimax's on router and desktop). The new ones didn't seem to work with the old ones out of the box but after much pairing and re-pairing and adding of network names and passwords I got them all talking. Both Humax's were able to connect to iPlayer and the HD was playing stuff from the HDR fine.

However, at the moment the HD is not connecting to the network when I select Media - Storage - Network. The Portal works fine so I presume it's network connection must be ok. Also, Portal works fine on the HDR so I presume it must have a good network connection too.

So why might the HD not be able to pick up the HDR media server?

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Have you turned on the HDR media server? Menu>Settings>System>Internet settings>Content sharing

Hi and thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm pretty sure that's on but I'll check when I get home. The HD was seeing the HDR on the network the previous day.

I've found sometimes the HDR server doesn't start up and needs an inconvenient reboot.

I presume you are aware of the 4GB bug in this configuration - the HD-FOX client will not play past the 4GB point in any streamed DLNA file - whatever its source.

I've found sometimes the HDR server doesn't start up and needs an inconvenient reboot.

I presume you are aware of the 4GB bug in this configuration - the HD-FOX client will not play past the 4GB point in any streamed DLNA file - whatever its source.

Ah, OK. Thanks for the info. Perhaps it needs a reboot - will give it a try. That could get annoying. May have to raise a ticket with Humax if it's a frequent problem. Also, wasn't aware of the 4GB thing either.

Anyone know if/when there might be a firmware update for these boxes?

There is a rumour of a beta under trial at the moment, but we have no firm details other than supposition that it will fix reported bugs.

The non-starting DLNA server doesn't happen very often in my experience, just annoying when it does and I don't have my PC handy to do a remote restart! Tell you what, it would be damned handy to have a cut-down WebIF from the HDR on the custom portal of the HD!!

There is a rumour of a beta under trial at the moment, but we have no firm details other than supposition that it will fix reported bugs.

The non-starting DLNA server doesn't happen very often in my experience, just annoying when it does and I don't have my PC handy to do a remote restart! Tell you what, it would be damned handy to have a cut-down WebIF from the HDR on the custom portal of the HD!!

Yep, a reboot of the HDR has done the trick - thanks.

Hi again!

More advice required from any network experts out there please....

I'm afraid I'm still having intermittent problems getting my HD and HDR connected to my Network with some Powerline HomePlugAV adapters.

I have 2 Edimax HP-2002AV adapters and 2 TP-Link TL-PA211 adpters. I have tried resetting all adpters to factory defaults and starting from scratch several times but no joy yet. I have had occasions when I thought all was working but then the HD looses sight of the HDR. Both units can still access the portal but the HD can't see the HDR server.

A couple of question:

1) If these HomePlug devices are set to default, should they all just work together or do they still need to be paired/grouped?

2) Will the adpaters on the HD and HDR need to be grouped with an adpater on the router in order for them to be part of the network and work properly? Or can I merely have an adapter on the HDR and one on the HD and no other devices on the Networker? I presume I would need to configure fixed IP addresses in the Humax boxes in this case but will they be able to talk to each other without there being a router/gateway on the same network?

Any help would be gratfully received - thanks...

The HomePlug adapters should all work together, but I can't advise how to configure them to achieve that. I personally only have two live at the moment, one on the HDR-FOX and the other at the router (my HD-FOX is sufficiently close that it has a Cat5 to the router).

You have fallen into the trap of believing the hype about interoperability - I always advise using a complete set from one supplier so you know who to blame if the actuality doesn't match the expectation. Is it Edimax or TP-Link causing the problem? If you can get the Edimaxes to pair up, and the TP_Links to pair up, but the Edimaxes and the TP-Links fail to talk, what do you do?

Sorry.

I am using HomePlug adapters from three different manufacturers, and all have worked together straight out of the box without requiring any further configuration.

I suspect whether they work flawlessly together or not will depend on whether they happen to use the same chip set.

Or can I merely have an adapter on the HDR and one on the HD and no other devices on the Networker? I presume I would need to configure fixed IP addresses in the Humax boxes in this case but will they be able to talk to each other without there being a router/gateway on the same network?
I would expect that they should be able to talk to each other but of course the Portal functionality (iPlayer etc) will be lost (NB I haven't actually tested but regularly use two computers connected together by a crossover network lead and that works fine).

Indeed, connecting the HDR and HD together on a private network will work fine because the DLNA protocols mean they can find each other. But as said, you lose all external connectivity.

Back