HD Volume

OK, my situation is this (HDR-FOX connected to LG 32LD690 by HDMI):

Set audio preference to multi-channel, tune to BBC1 HD. Humax volume control slides the on-screen bar but no change to the sound from the TV. Switch back to stereo, the volume changes with the on-screen slider.
Very strange it must be a TV thing, do you have another make of TV to try it with?

No I don't, but on the other hand yours is the only report I can remember hearing that it does otherwise. We have many examples of it doing what it does on my setup.

Bear in mind that I posted on the HDR-Fox thread but was referring to the HD-Fox.
It is connected to my TV by HDMI and Scart but that shouldn't make a difference. I will disconnect the Scart when the current programme we are watching finishes to check it.

OK, I had a play with my HD-FOX/Qumi (playing a HiDef recording mounted from the HDR-FOX). The volume control works.

Hypothesis: Perhaps TVs unable to decode the 5.1 negotiate the HDMI down to stereo PCM, thus re-enabling the Humax control of volume.

OK, my situation is this (HDR-FOX connected to LG 32LD690 by HDMI):

Set audio preference to multi-channel, tune to BBC1 HD. Humax volume control slides the on-screen bar but no change to the sound from the TV. Switch back to stereo, the volume changes with the on-screen slider.

Thats what I got with an Lg TV, I've now got a Samsung & all is fine with the volume on the Hd channels with multi selected rather than stereo.

So it does depend on the make of your TV.

This has been a worth-while reopening of the debate, because I think most of us were under the impression that the multi-channel sound output level was fixed. It is possible that it used to be fixed and only started working (for certain TVs) with the 1.02.20 update (or an earlier one) because we know Humax fiddled around with the relative sound levels between HiDef and StDef.

It would be further worth trying to figure out why this is so. I have already suggested that an HDMI receiver incapable of handling 5.1 might negotiate the link down to stereo. Another possibility is that there are other sound channel properties that get negotiated on the HDMI link, inclusing the volume level handling. Maybe (just maybe) the full digital multi-channel sound spec for HDMI sends the full volume signal and also an output attenuation property that is supposed to be interpreted by the TV.

This has been a worth-while reopening of the debate, because I think most of us were under the impression that the multi-channel sound output level was fixed. It is possible that it used to be fixed and only started working (for certain TVs) with the 1.02.20 update (or an earlier one) because we know Humax fiddled around with the relative sound levels between HiDef and StDef.
This has always worked for me with every firmware release since purchasing my first box some time in 2010.

Back