HDD cooling fan

g4rth

My cooling fan has stopped working. Does anyone know where the 12V fan supply is derived from? I've checked and the supply is absent. With the current hot weather the unit intermittently reboots although it seems fine on cooler days.

The fan doesn't run continuously, so you probably measured it when it wasn't running.
If you want monitoring and more control, install the customised firmware and the fan package.

As pointed out above, the fan only turns on when the hard disk reaches 55 Deg .C which can take a couple of hours from cold, although at the moment with current 'summer' temperatures it will be quicker, some info. here, '%' = fan speed :-

• 70% - once the HDD temperature reaches 55°C;
  • 65% - when the temperature drops to 54°C;
  • 55% - when the temperature drops to 51°C;
  • 0% - when the temperature drops to 49°C;

Thanks for your helpful information. Any ideas why it should be intermittently rebooting? I've disconnected the network and done a full reset although I haven't reformatted the hard drive yet.

Thanks for your helpful information. Any ideas why it should be intermittently rebooting? I've disconnected the network and done a full reset although I haven't reformatted the hard drive yet.
No idea. You would be better off installing the customised firmware and running the fix-disk procedure from maintenance mode (are you spotting a pattern here? :) ). A reformat won't fix any bad sectors on the disk.

Does the fan run now? If in doubt, balance a slip of paper over the fan aperture and see if it gets blown off within half an hour or so. Also, the custom firmware sysmon package should provide a temperature graph, or the Diagnostics page SMART hard drive data keeps a record of the maximum HDD temperature recorded.

If the fan isn't working and/or the HDD temperature is excessive, I would postulate that the crashes are not necessarily due to a disk data problem.

Downloaded custom firmware, fan and HDD temperature both ok. Interestingly the fault has not reoccurred since downloading the firmware although it was rebooting about twice most evenings. I did have to set up the WiFi again as the settings appear to have become corrupted so perhaps that had some bearing on the problems I was experiencing.

Back