HDD Errors and Warnings

It is quite possible that the file system error is causing it to calculate a ludicrously high amount of storage is required to recover a file and that you will never be able to create a big enough swap file to cope, you will have a better chance on a PC than with the limited space available on the humax.
I did remove the HDD from the FOX T2 and accessed it via USB SATA cable.

It's difficult trying to figure out what the issues are due to the formatting and reporting style of the OP.
I have taken the HDD out and connected it to my laptop via USB, I have ran a smartctl -d sat --all /dev/sdc2 diagnostic. I obviously get a long output back, what do I look for in this output can I attach it to a post for someone to view with some feedback please. How do I do that from the cmd terminal?.
Did you run the smartctl command against the drive or the partition by mistake? Or is there a typo?
Having taken out the HDD and looked at it on my linux laptop, I decided to use fsck utility to troubleshoot and possibly fix the disk. The fsck /dev/sdx command is forced to stop with the error message fsck.ext3 for device /dev/sdx has exited with signal 9. This in indicative of a process forced to stop dead because of not enough swap. So the fsck utility cannot check the filesystem because there is not enough virtual memory. So how to fix this? Any ideas please?
Did you run fsck against the drive by mistake or is there a typo?
/dev/sdx2 not /dev/sdx
Thanks I do realize!
In that case, why not compose things a bit better so that a third party can understand?
Eg if the drive shows up as /dev/sdc when connected to the laptop USB then the partition should be /dev/sdc2.
Also it'll be helpful if you cut and paste the actual commands and results rather than transcribing it - which may confuse third party if there is a transcription error.

Last edited:
Apologies I shall be more precise in the future to avoid going to Mars instead of Venus. I take it you do have a sense of humour.

I am referring to the swapfile from the FOX T2 HDD, yes it says that it is Read Only!.
But if you are running, as you stated, fsck using your "linux laptop", why would the swap file on the HDD under test have any bearing on fsck running out of swap space? Please report accurately, otherwise nobody (not even those with infinite patience) can help you.

Did you run the smartctl command against the drive or the partition by mistake? Or is there a typo?

Regardless, the fixdisk transcript that was posted shows a good result for smartctl.

No I was unable to get the HDD fixed using the fsck utility, so as I said earlier decided to transfer important recordings off the disk, format the disk and replaced it in the FOX T2, reformat it therein as required by the box, and going forward.
Thanks for all who offered help.

No I was unable to get the HDD fixed using the fsck utility, so as I said earlier decided to transfer important recordings off the disk, format the disk and replaced it in the FOX T2, reformat it therein as required by the box, and going forward.
Thanks for all who offered help.
If it's any consolation, the steps you took is a safe option. Can I suggest you check the Web/IF/Diagnostics/Disk Diagnostics for the current SMART values. Keep a note of them and then check again in a few weeks or so after some recordings etc. See if they differ much. It may help future fault finding or confirm drive is working ok.

Last edited:
If it's any consolation, the steps you took is a safe option. Can I suggest you check the Web/IF/Diagnostics/Disk Diagnostics for the current SMART values. Keep a note of them and then check again in a few weeks or so after some recordings etc. See if they differ much. It may help future fault finding or confirm drive is working ok.
Thank you for your suggestion, that is a very sensible thing to do, and I will certainly do that. Thank you again.

Back