HDD failure help

I disagree and have written posts about why here before. On my mobile at the moment so not easy to search but I'll add a link later.

Why not consider a 4TB now that the custom firmware supports it?

Whichever drive is chosen, it should be one specifically designed for use in a PVR. These drives are known as CE or AV drives and are optimised for AV content. They generally run cooler and quieter than desktop drives as well as consuming less power. They also behave differently as regards error detection, correction and reporting. A single read/write error when recording AV content usually matters a lot less than a pause while the drive or application stops, waits for the disk platter to revolve again then retries the read.

Interesting and can get it cheap too (ah just noticed cheap was 1TB) . People tell me though that AV hard drives aren't necessary these days, I take it you disagree?
"People" are wrong or just ignorant. An ST2000VM003 is only another £11 compared to your Desktop drive.

If just one of those benefits pan out its worth it. HDDs aren't expensive anyway.

I dont need 4TB storage in my Hummy. 1TB is really enough but may as well have 2TB.

So as I am not really a techie someone talk me through the theoretical process of replacement if you will. I assume I take out the old HDD and mount it in a caddie then insert the new drive and let the Humax format it. Fimally copy the files form the old drive to the new. That work or does the Humax having Linux (that I know nothing about) partitions complicate things?

So as I am not really a techie someone talk me through the theoretical process of replacement if you will. I assume I take out the old HDD and mount it in a caddie then insert the new drive and let the Humax format it. Fimally copy the files form the old drive to the new.
Yup that process should do it.

The USB disc caddy idea I hadn't thought of as I've never used one.
It's a useful thing to have in the toolbox - but not necessarily a caddy (which actually houses the drive and therefore may not fit all drives you want to throw at it). I prefer a naked USB to SATA adapter (easily and cheaply available from eBay, but make sure the one you choose includes an independent power supply).

The other way I guess would be to FTP the files to PC and back again, correct?
Yes, but FTP transfer won't decrypt the content. USB transfer will decrypt StDef content, but if you want it to decrypt the HiDef content you will need to install the auto-unprotect package and leave it to run for a while before you start swapping disks (computer disk drives are always spelt with a k, because it's short for diskette).

For more info see Decryption Guide.

The adapter sounds even better Black Hole. Thanks for the guides I have read of yours in the past too by the way. I understand the decryption thing and its not been a priority for me.

I guess its a disk until its optical ;-). I dont tend to type accurately, lol.

Interesting and can get it cheap too (ah just noticed cheap was 1TB) . People tell me though that AV hard drives aren't necessary these days, I take it you disagree?
Anyone else like to point this young man in the right direction re HDD choice?

Hope you guys are still out there.

Having got the system running and awaiting delivery of my new drive I have discovered another problem. I cant stream from the humax to my laptop or tablets any more, I mainly use VLC and it cant open the network link provided from the web-if as before. Before running fix-disk I updated the custom firmware from 3.03 to latest, could this or running fix-disk have caused the problem? I dont see why it should.

As BH might say:
Check content sharing is enabled via Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share = On

And I am clearly a muppet. I am sat here saying "its just like the drive isn't shared" but not remembering that option exists. Long time since I went near it is my only excuse. Either repairing the system turned it off or God knows what did.

Problem solved, many thanks - its been a tough day.

Yup that process should do it.
Hi Martin (or anyone else who knows!)

Is it that easy if I use a 2TB hard drive? I'm reading instructions on this elsewhere and it is stated the T2 cant format a 2TB drive itself and the process is more complicated. Is that correct?

Last edited:
Is it that easy if I use a 2TB hard drive?
Yes.
I'm reading instructions on this elsewhere and it is stated the T2 cant format a 2TB drive itself and the process is more complicated. Is that correct?
No it's not - whatever you've read is out of date.
2TB disks are supported with the latest Humax firmware, as are larger disks with the latest custom firmware.

Back