HDD looks to be dying - recomendations for a new one?

Ravi

After repairing the HDD and reformatting, I'm still seeing reallocated sectors and other errors, so I suspect the HDD is dying.

My 1 TB HDR-FOX T2, was bought June 2012, so it's out of warranty and will be the original hardware revision.

What replacement HDD sould I get?
Can I fit a bigger drive?
Does it need to be the special AV drives (IIRC I had to get an AV drive on my old Humax 9200)?

Anything else I need to know?

thanks!

After repairing the HDD and reformatting, I'm still seeing reallocated sectors and other errors, so I suspect the HDD is dying.
Reallocated sectors are perfectly normal; what matters is the number of reallocated sectors and more importantly the rate at which they are being reall0cated. Sow how many reallocated sectors do you have and what are the other errors you refer to above?
What replacement HDD sould I get?
Can I fit a bigger drive?
Does it need to be the special AV drives (IIRC I had to get an AV drive on my old Humax 9200)?
Yes it is good practice to fit an AV drive. With the standard firmware you can go to 2TB; there are features in the custom firmware kernel to support larger drives but I am not aware of anybody trying this and also not sure if all the necessary software infrastructure is in place (af123 will know). With a 1.03.12 software the Humax will format and align a drive up to 2TB. I fitted a 2TB Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB Drive (ST2000VM003) over 12 months ago and have been very pleased with it.

Errors - see attached
Ok now I understand. Have you tried running fix-disk to see if it can correct the errors? If it fixes the current_pending_sectors then you may get a few more months out of the drive but I agree it is time to start thinking about a replacement.

Line 5 isn't really a problem unless the numbers really start to rocket, however Line 197 and 198 are a concern. There is a recent 'Suggestions link HERE, take a look at #5

I always used to use the IBM Deskstar drives in my PC builds, as they were the best all rounders ( Reliability / Capacity / Price / Speed / Noise / Heat )

Anyway - I got a 2TB Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB Drive (ST2000VM003) as recommended above, installed it yesterday.

Back