HDD or Fan help please.

In the picture above. If I unscrew those 4 silver screws then turn the fan round to face the other way it will suck air in to the case. There are 4 holes on the other side so I can screw it back on.
Or am I missing something.
Nope - that's how you do it.

Right I have turned the fan round and it's been on 2 hours. The temp is 33 degrees and room temp is 24 degree. Set to 50% in the fan package.
A lot better. Thanks for the suggestion @everthewatcher . :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Nice to have things confirmed. The fan here is on 50% min too - I forgot to mention that.

My original HDR is one of the later ones with the two RF connectors arranged vertically and it came with the fan blowing inwards. A DTR-T1000 (same chassis, £2.50 from a charity shop) likewise has the fan blowing inwards. It wasn't until I picked up an earlier HDR with the horizontal RF connectors that I realised that originally the fan sucked air out.

On mine I've cut a slot in the side of the HDD carrier to direct a bit of airflow over the main SOC IC.

Given that there is a fixed amount of heat generated inside the case, and a given air flow, the differential air temperature rise is also fixed. Obviously if the HDD is last in the airflow, it will be 'cooled' by air that is already warmed by the electronics. If the flow is reversed , the HDD will be cooled by cooler air and thus run cooler, but the electronics will be subject to a warmer airflow and thus run hotter.

Whether this is a bad thing or not is a mute point. It depends on which part of the device is most sensitive to these moderate temperature rises. Because the temperature is measured only by the HDD, we have no idea what is happening elsewhere.

Given that there is a fixed amount of heat generated inside the case, and a given air flow, the differential air temperature rise is also fixed. Obviously if the HDD is last in the airflow, it will be 'cooled' by air that is already warmed by the electronics. If the flow is reversed , the HDD will be cooled by cooler air and thus run cooler, but the electronics will be subject to a warmer airflow and thus run hotter.
True, but there's no defined airflow pattern within the case. I'd suspect the HDD has the highest power dissipation and blowing cool air over it is better than hoping some airflow gets drawn over it

...mute point.
Moot point.

True, but there's no defined airflow pattern within the case.
'course there is Malcolm. It's just that it needs fluid dynamics modelling to figure out...

I can't help thinking that everyone would be better off aiming for longevity of their (irreplaceable) SoCs than their (commodity) HDDs.

'course there is Malcolm. It's just that it needs fluid dynamics modelling to figure out...
Fair point. Perhaps I should have said no obvious airflow management.
I can't help thinking that everyone would be better off aiming for longevity of their (irreplaceable) SoCs than their (commodity) HDDs.
Hence my slot in the side of the HDD carrier.

True, but there's no defined airflow pattern within the case. I'd suspect the HDD has the highest power dissipation and blowing cool air over it is better than hoping some airflow gets drawn over it

Whatever the pattern, you are still blowing hotter air from the HDD over the rest of the unit, which cannot be an ideal situation.

Moot point.

Damned spullchicker!

Last edited by a moderator:
For those of you who are that worried about it, then stick another fan on it. Perhaps a 4" bolted to the lid with anti vibration mounts to stop it 'thrumming'?

Back