HDD or Tuner on blink?

2 aerials into a passive Y combiner then into the amp. Not the best solution. My TX are Mendip (main) and Wenvoe which pump out the power. I may have a reason why it suddenly started. The aerial feed from the amp (upstairs) to the TV (downstairs) is buried in the wall plaster to a socket. Been there about 40 years. Couple of months ago I drilled into the wall cutting the cable so replaced it with new fed a different route. That's pretty much when the picture breakup started. I wonder if the old cable/socket was providing some attenuation even though sig/quality showed 100% and the new cable gave an increae in the signal.

Last edited:
2 aerials into a passive Y combiner then into the amp.
That's not good. You'll get constructive and destructive interference from the aerial side-lobes. Try it with just one aerial connected.

My TX are Mendip (main) and Wenvoe which pump out the power.
I'm in that area too, but I take my Wales feed from Mynydd Machen which is on V rather than H polarisation, thus reducing the interference problem.

You can tell it an input is overloaded: signal will be 100% but quality drops to near zero.

Last edited:
Back