HDD problem?

Ken P

My HDR-FOX T2 is around 7 years old. Recently it has started freezing for no apparent reason. I have read various related threads on this forum, and today installed the CF.

The Diagnostics shows a potential HDD problem - realloc sector count 2013, pending sector count 22, offline sector count 22. I don't know enough to understand the implications.

I've got the tabulated SMART data but can't work out how to post it here.

Clues, please, anyone?

If you have a image (picture) file, you can select the 'Upload a file' icon - bottom right of the post window, if you have text, you can select this symbol :-

2017-12-01_15.40.25.jpg

and select 'Code', then place the text in between the start and end code markers

You will probably need to run fixdisk, there is a guide on the Wiki here :-
https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Maintenance_Mode_Disk_Check

Last edited:
My HDR-FOX T2 is around 7 years old. Recently it has started freezing for no apparent reason. I have read various related threads on this forum, and today installed the CF.

The Diagnostics shows a potential HDD problem - realloc sector count 2013, pending sector count 22, offline sector count 22. I don't know enough to understand the implications.
What capacity is the hard drive? The real concern is the pending sector/Offline sector count which probably explains your freezing issue; hopefully running fixdisk as Ezra has suggested will sort that out. 2013 reallocated sectors is an indication that the hard drive is getting past middle age and you need to think about replacing it in the next few months. Replacing the hard drive is a straightforward process.

I don't know enough to understand the implications.
Get Santa to buy you a new disk. Your old one is knackered.
I suspect you might be out of spare sectors too, so running fixdisk is not likely to improve matters.

Gentlemen,
Thank you for your inputs. Herewith the SMART data, which will tell you more. My question now is whether replacing the HDD is likely to solve the freezing problems. I can do that for around £55 - or I can buy a better current-model Humax FVP-5000T for around £230. Your comments will help me to decide.

Attachments

• jkp humax01.pdf
    32.9 KB · Views: 10
Get Santa to buy you a new disk. Your old one is knackered.
I suspect you might be out of spare sectors too, so running fixdisk is not likely to improve matters.
Why do you think that? I have seen reallocated sector counts higher than that and I think I have seen reports of drives from a Humax with counts over 6000.

Freezing: it started maybe a month ago. Sometimes the unit does not respond to inputs from the remote, though the picture and sound remain OK. Control inputs from the remote may take effect after a delay of several minutes. Behaviour is inconsistent - sometimes it's normal, increasingly often the set becomes unresponsive.

Yes, I have followed those steps up to (but not yet including) reformat of the HDD. Before trying that I need to transfer my recordings to an external drive.

Just try disconnecting it for the moment. That will prove whether or not the problem is disk related. But in any case, a custom firmware fix disk operation will be a non-destructive alternative to a full format.

Internal HDD.

You said you had tried all the steps up to a reformat, but you've said nothing about the results of section 2E. The reformat suggested under 2D is only one of the options if the crashes respond to turning off the DLNA server.

Why do you think that? I have seen reallocated sector counts higher than that and I think I have seen reports of drives from a Humax with counts over 6000.
I have a 2TB desktop drive that maxed out at something less than 2000.

My question now is whether replacing the HDD is likely to solve the freezing problems.
Possibly, or even probably, but there's only one way to find out definitively.
I have followed those steps up to (but not yet including) reformat of the HDD.
Reformatting is a complete waste of time while you have pending/offline sectors.

BH:
I ran fixdisk this morning. The results can be summarised as

12 block repairs succeeded, one skipped (the block number appeared to be corrupted);
On sda1, 2, and 3: lost+found not found. Create? yes
4 deleted inodes had zero dtime. Fixed
Some block bitmap differences found and fixed.
Some free block counts wrong - fixed.
Some inode counts wrong, fixed.

I will next do a reformat, then disconnect the HDD as you suggested and see how the set behaves for an evening.

Martin,
Now respectively 2274, 8, 8. That's an increase of >250 reallocated sectors in 2 days. Is that a hint that complete failure is imminent?

Martin,
Now respectively 2274, 8, 8. That's an increase of >250 reallocated sectors in 2 days. Is that a hint that complete failure is imminent?
Yes; I now agree with prpr that it is time for replacement if you can convince yourself that it will fix the freezing problem (personally I think there is a reasonable chance that it will).

Back