HDD Recommendations

Flatcap

Like many others I have the dreaded "The channel is scrambled or not available" appearing along with a now noisy hdd.
To keep SWMBO happy over the holidays I bought a new T2. However 100+ films on the old one now need to be saved.
My plan is to buy a 2tb hdd (either standalone or internal with a caddy) for transfer and future backup, and a 1tb to replace the duff one in the machine.
Can anyone recommend a hdd that they have used in a similar situation and is currently available. I believe they need to be a certain specification? Also would having usb3 be worthwhile on the backup hdd for transferring to pc/laptop?

For the replacement drive I can do no better than point you at af123's blog in the Wiki HERE (click).

As far as the external drive is concerned, I presume you will be connecting it to the Humax by USB so spec is not an issue. See notes HERE (click) section 12, and the reference from there about USB3. Note that caddies which adapt an ATA/SATA drive to USB can be problematic regarding driver compatibility.

I bought a new T2. However 100+ films on the old one now need to be saved.

Don't forget that the files need to be decrypted before they will play on the new T2, a straight copy is no good. There are notes on decryption HERE. The Humax USB interface is only USB2 so although a USB3 HDD will work you won't get any speed advantage.

Back