HDD replacement

Hello - the realloc sector count on my 500Gb hard drive is increasing by 2 or 3 each day (it's now at 145), many recordings are now glitchy and running the fix disk doesn't appear to have made any difference.
145 reallocated sectors isn't particularly high nor is the rate of reallocation. Each time a sector is reallocated you will see a visible glitch and there is nothing that fix-disk can do to help. If the glitches are sufficiently irritating then replacing the hard drive is the only solution.

I'm now looking at getting hold of a 2 Tb drive to replace the existing one. Would this be an suitable one to go for?

http://www.ebuyer.com/414223-seagat...ium=products&gclid=CPTNoamW18MCFeHLtAodQTQAUw
Yes that is the correct type; I have been using one for well over a year with no problems.

That's a problem with eBuyer, they never seem to give the full manufacturer's model number for their drives. I considered that one for my T2, but, although I suspected that it was the one I wanted, I eventually bought from elsewhere just because I couldn't be certain of what I was going to get from eBuyer.

Well. I looked a bit closer twice and still couldn't find a bit that said "Seagate ST2000VM003" which is the one I bought.
Ah. Third careful look. Spotted it. And that's just what it says. I wonder why they hide it away like that (ret).

Well if I was the OP I would most definitely have replaced the HDD by now.

He is probably going to have to replace it anyway at some time in the not too distant future, so it makes sense to do so now, at least IMO.

Well if I was the OP I would most definitely have replaced the HDD by now.

He is probably going to have to replace it anyway at some time in the not too distant future, so it makes sense to do so now, at least IMO.
It all depends how sensitive you are to the glitches. He could probably (based on my experience) get something like 6 months more service out of the drive; people have used drives with several thousand reallocated sectors. However if the glitches are too troubling for him then it is time to replace now.

Hello - if I'm the OP in question, I've got more programmes with glitches than without these days. I was also of the opinion that the drive would have to be replaced at some point, so I might as well do it now. I've gone for the 2tb one from Ebuyer; there were some cheaper ones on eBay but they didn't inspire me with confidence. Hopefully the old 500Gb drive will still be good enough for non-critical use in an old PC around the house, where presumably it won't get the hammering that it gets in a PVR in daily use.

Hopefully the old 500Gb drive will still be good enough for non-critical use in an old PC around the house, where presumably it won't get the hammering that it gets in a PVR in daily use.

Well that depends on how valuable your PC data is or whether you want glitch free software (if you use the drive for the OS/software). If you lose data on the Hummy because of bad sectors you just get a glitch, etc. If you lose data on a PC it might be much more problematic, not less. I would dump the old HDD,

Back