HDD upgrade to 1Tb on a BT Youview 2xxx

D

Deleted member 473

I think I have done this, though I have no real way of checking as I can't find anywhere I can display the disk size! However, 9 hours of HD recording on Sunday showed 97% free afterwards, so I guess the larger drive has been recognized. I assume the same procedure works on a vanilla Humax box?

1 Remove 4 screws from base (one under a security sticker) and 1 screw in the centre rear.

2 Carefully ease the top from the bottom. A cable connects them, but I left that attached. At this stage, you can see the 500Gb drive but can't remove it, as it is attached by bolts whose heads are between the motherboard and base.

3 Remove two screws through the motherboard and two screws on the rear, and ease the motherboard and ports out.

4 Under the motherboard, you will see four large bolts that hold the HDD in place. Unscrew them and pull the HDD out.

5 Insert new drive. I went for a 1Tb WD AV drive:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007PFQ23C/

6 Re-assemble the box

7 Switch on power at the back but leave in standby

8 Press and hold down arrow on the box until the request to run the maintenance menu appears. Press Power to confirm.

9 Choose the factory default wiping all recordings option and wait...and wait...

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this still going alright? I'm tempted to do the same.
Guess the only way to know it really worked is record over 500GB, or pull the disk out and look at the partition sizes in GParted.

There's a percentage disk used figure, but nothing else that I've found. Nothing about actual space.
Using Mike0001's numbers above (9hrs using 3%), his 1TB upgraded box seems to think it has space for 300 hours. And the standard 500GB HDD is good for 125 hours according to the brochure. So it's doubled the recording capacity. Hurrah! (Actually slightly more than)
Though that's not proof that it will successfully record to it.

I guess problems would only happen if
A) The Maintenance Menu is programmed to only create a 500GB partition
B) One drive was advanced format 4K sectors, the other not, and the box gets the alignment wrong
C) You hit a 2TB LBA limit.

Have we got full confirmation that this works and actually uses the extra space yet? I have 1Tb in my old Humax box and going back to 500Gb would be a real backwards step.
Thanks

Well, it appears to have worked for me, cheers Mike001! ;)

I used a WD10JUCT 1Tb HDD same as Mike and followed his procedure, and it appears to have formatted the entire drive. I took the drive out after getting the T2100 to erase the disk from the maintenance menu and then put it in my laptop to see the partitions that it had created. I can post screenshots if needed.

I'm testing filling up the HDD with recordings now.

Thanks.
Sounds promising. I think the critical part is whether it is able to fill and properly utilise the extra space, so if you wouldn't mind reporting back then that would be great.
Seems strange this is the only place I have seen discussion on this as 500gb is nothing, I thought everyone would be doing this.
Thanks

Seems strange this is the only place I have seen discussion on this as 500gb is nothing
Having 1TB at your disposal is like doubling the cupboard space in your house - more room to fill with stuff you think you'll need but in reality you're never going to, and double the effort to sort out when it comes to it. The only thing double the recording capacity gives you is double the time before you have to decide whether to delete something.

I'm not joking. 500GB is plenty for timeshifting, but if you are a hoarder you are going to run out of space whatever you do and then you will have some hard decisions to make. Might as well make the decisions sooner rather than later.

Is this still going alright? I'm tempted to do the same.
Guess the only way to know it really worked is record over 500GB, or pull the disk out and look at the partition sizes in GParted.
Yes, still running fine. Sorry for the late reply but I don't frequent these parts now.

Having 1TB at your disposal is like doubling the cupboard space in your house - more room to fill with stuff you think you'll need but in reality you're never going to, and double the effort to sort out when it comes to it. The only thing double the recording capacity gives you is double the time before you have to decide whether to delete something.

I'm not joking. 500GB is plenty for timeshifting, but if you are a hoarder you are going to run out of space whatever you do and then you will have some hard decisions to make. Might as well make the decisions sooner rather than later.
Says he who has six PVRs stacked up!

That's more for convenience and play (and tuners) than anything else. Yes, I have expanded to fill the capacity available (which equally applies in the physical world), and that's a bad thing worth avoiding.

Mrs Mike almost filled ours when she forgot to delete Escape to the Country as she watched them, so there is no doubt that the HDD is working!

You don't need Sweeper to do that - just set an auto-expire on the folder. I had to do that on my remote box to stop the user filling it up with EttC and HUtH.

Hi - I am on the brink of upgrading my 500gb to 1tb/2tb and this discussion is very useful. However I have a few of questions and I was hoping this audience may be able to assist/ advise.

1. Does anybody know if it is possible to upgrade AND copy over the existing data? I was thinking that the easiest way to do this might be to replace the drive, do the upgrade/formatting etc....assuming that following this upgrade, the new drive will be setup ready to record. Then take both the old & new drives to my local computer shop and have them copy over the data from old to new - into the newly setup data partition.

2. Does anybody know if you can download/upload data via the USB? I've been told no, but I wonder what's the point in having a USB that you can access if it's not usable.

3. I'm tempted to upgrade to 2tb (as the drives are only £10 more than the 1tb) but does anybody think this may cause a problem when formatting/setup.

4. Does anybody know if this drive is suitable? WD Everyday 1TB (or 2TB) Internal 3.5 inch SATA III Hard Drive

I'm just being super cautious as I will have no need for an Internal drive if this upgrade doesn't work and that would mean I'd have a £75 paper weight.

Many thanks everybody!

PS. My model is DTR-T2000.

1 No

2 No. I believe it is for a keyboard.

3 Worth trying but I don't have one to try.

4 If it is a low power consumer unit, suitable for pvrs and cctv, I don't see why not. I think you need the WD AV line though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still running fine 6 years later, apart from the usual occasional Humax freeze.

Back