HDDs Used in HDR-FOX Reported as Problematic

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
For the record, I dont like these Seagate HDD, I had two of them fail in my Pc last year, with the same type of problems.

Also there is known firmware problems with these drives, mine is a ST31000424CS hdd.
http://seagate.datarecovery.eu/en/data-recovery-news_20-0_seagate-maxtor-firmware-data-loss.html

My drive declares itself as ST3500312CS, which is also listed (anyone with custom firmware installed can check their drive model using WebIF >> Diagnostics >> Hard Disc [sic]).

I am not sure what to make of this, but note the Datarecovery web page (this is a data recovery company, not Seagate itself) says the defects are due to a faulty production process for drives manufactured up to January 2009.

Topic raised for further discussion.

That's interesting - mine is also ST3500312CS.
How do we find the manufacturing date - I see the page shows a 5 digit date code, but is there a note of how to interpret this anywhere.
I'm interested as a seagate drive on another HDR (not HUMAX) failed, which is why I have the HDR-FOX T2 now, and will be going to see which model that is.

Thanks Black hole.

Here is a better screenshot of my Hard Disk spec using the Wibif, it shows there serial number, I think you can enter this into the Seagate flash tool and it checks many things, I will try and remember the web link to the tool.

I did update the firmware on one HDDs on my PC, and it fixed booting problems, also it fixed a bad sector.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-11-17-09-21-13.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-17-09-21-13.png
    105.1 KB · Views: 13
On further reflection I think this is a non-issue. The HDR-FOX came out mid-2010 and it doesn't seem very likely to me that a stock of defective hard drives were hanging about for that long. We have not had any sudden deaths reported that correlate with the information on the Datarecovery web page, and if there was a significant chance of this occurring I am sure a few of us would have done by now.

I have been at pains to point out this information is on a web page posted by a company that makes its money recovering data from failed drives. Perhaps somebody would like to scour the Seagate web pages to see what they have to say about it.

I would like to see this HDD micro code error independently reported from another source, at the moment all I can see is a report from a Data recovery company and it does look a bit like they are drumming up business for themselves

That's interesting - mine is also ST3500312CS.
How do we find the manufacturing date - I see the page shows a 5 digit date code, but is there a note of how to interpret this anywhere.
I'm interested as a seagate drive on another HDR (not HUMAX) failed, which is why I have the HDR-FOX T2 now, and will be going to see which model that is.
There are a number of Seagate date code calculators, I have tried this one.

http://www.bugaco.com/calculators/seagate_date_code.php

The date code of "11014" on my ST3500312CS, recently removed from my September 2010 purchased HDR-FOX T2, calculates as 6th July 2010.

SMART Status : PASSED​
Model Family : Seagate Pipeline HD 5900.2​
Device Model : ST31000424CS​
Serial Number : 5VX2W996​

HDD corrupted again - to the point where it won't format. possibly suspect a power failure during recording, so I'm going to reformat via telnet, and have put the Humax on a UPS.

Back